[PC] Help me build a new PC

depending on the one you have, if it's a good quality 600W it's more than enough for the system you picked.

You're better off getting a high quality lower wattage PSU than a high wattage PSU that's cheap. The cheap high wattage PSUs often have low efficiency and the high overall wattage just masks this.

Most machines don't use as much power as people think anyways.
PC Power Consumption: How Many Watts Do We Need?. Page 9 - X-bit labs

Switched to a 520 watt PSU http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151094.

Edit: Actually the 620 watt version is $15 more so fuck it. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...6&cm_re=SeaSonic_S12II-_-17-151-096-_-Product .

Last edited:
Going back and forth on the SSD too. Considering maybe just doing HDDs in Raid 0 but I'm not sure how that compares in terms of performance/price. I also have a 1tb HDD sitting on a shelf somewhere so if I go SSD I could use that for storage.
it doesn't compare, at all. a ssd would be much faster than a raid 0 array.

a ssd is ridiculous

get one

they are worth every penny

Thanks for pointing out the whole triple channel memory thing. How many watts do you need out of a typical power supply these days? I currently have a 600w one, but i was going to get the 750w because I heard that the new cpu's take up a lot of power. Is this true?
people often buy more than they need, myself included. i had the mentality that i wanted every possible expansion option open for me in the future with regards to video cards... need vs want.

You're better off getting a high quality lower wattage PSU than a high wattage PSU that's cheap. The cheap high wattage PSUs often have low efficiency and the high overall wattage just masks this.

Most machines don't use as much power as people think anyways.
PC Power Consumption: How Many Watts Do We Need?. Page 9 - X-bit labs

Switched to a 520 watt PSU Newegg.com - SeaSonic S12II 520 Bronze 520W ATX12V V2.3 / EPS 12V V2.91 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply.

Yea but you don't want to nearly max out your PSU even if it can handle it, it shortens a PSU's life when you are pushing it to its limit all the time.

Thanks for pointing out the whole triple channel memory thing. How many watts do you need out of a typical power supply these days? I currently have a 600w one, but i was going to get the 750w because I heard that the new cpu's take up a lot of power. Is this true?

600W will cover you with one graphics card.

Yea but you don't want to nearly max out your PSU even if it can handle it, it shortens a PSU's life when you are pushing it to its limit all the time.

600-650 should be fine though. Pretty much any current single video card gaming system will draw between 200-300W at load. Double that and you'll know what the safe range for your power supply would be.

Basically, 600-650W of a good brand power supply is the sweet spot for gaming systems nowadays. 750, to me, starts to get excessive.

600-650 should be fine though. Pretty much any current single video card gaming system will draw between 200-300W at load. Double that and you'll know what the safe range for your power supply would be.

Basically, 600-650W of a good brand power supply is the sweet spot for gaming systems nowadays. 750, to me, starts to get excessive.

I was talking to FalseMyrmidon who had a 430W PSU for his i7+5870 setup :p

I was talking to FalseMyrmidon who had a 430W PSU for his i7+5870 setup :p

430? Well, yeah....

I thought you were referring to the OP with the 600W OCZ.

On a related topic, a 450W corsair is currently running my wife's Phenom II, 8GB, 4850, 2 platter HDD and 1 SSD system with no issues. She hasn't done any gaming aside from a couple hours of SC2 lately, but it seems to be holding up. I still plan to replace my 520W with a 650W I have around and switch her to my 520W though.

Dear TW,
I would also like computar feedback:
Newegg.com - Once You Know, You Newegg

Going back and forth on the SSD too. Considering maybe just doing HDDs in Raid 0 but I'm not sure how that compares in terms of performance/price. I also have a 1tb HDD sitting on a shelf somewhere so if I go SSD I could use that for storage.

Get a smaller, cheaper case. For what reason are you spending $150 on something that will take up more space and not provide for additional performance? This case is $100 cheaper, more compact, well built, and still has room for everything you'd want to throw in it.

Spend $100 less and get the 6870 instead of teh 5870. It's ever so slightly slower but significantly cheaper.

Save $60 and get this RAM It's $60 cheaper for 8GB and can run at a higher speed to boot.

You're spending a lot on the processor. Check out microcenter.com and see if you can get it to you cheaper (even better if you have one near you). There's currently an i7 870 on sale for $229

I just saved you like $300. Please send $50 to pay me for my services.

Last edited:
I'm thinking I might get a new PSU with this upgrade so I can sell all my old stuff as another machine. I'm still a bit confused by the # of watts my psu should have because I keep seeing different reports on the internet.

How many watts for a i7 cpu and a Nvidia 470 video card? What about if I had two video cards?

Get a smaller, cheaper case. For what reason are you spending $150 on something that will take up more space and not provide for additional performance? This case is $100 cheaper, more compact, well built, and still has room for everything you'd want to throw in it.

Spend $100 less and get the 6870 instead of teh 5870. It's ever so slightly slower but significantly cheaper.

Save $60 and get this RAM It's $60 cheaper for 8GB and can run at a higher speed to boot.

You're spending a lot on the processor. Check out microcenter.com and see if you can get it to you cheaper (even better if you have one near you). There's currently an i7 870 on sale for $229

I just saved you like $300. Please send $50 to pay me for my services.

Because I like full towers. Mid towers are a pain in the ass to work in.

You're right, the 6870 does look like the way to go. Apparently everyone else thought so too because they're damn near sold out on Newegg.

Better cheaper memory, thankies.

And I buy everything off Newegg because they're great for RMAs.

Last edited:
Back