Overheating problem.

RiverStyx

Veteran XV
just installed my P4 2.8 cpu, intel mobo... currently its running at 43 degrees celseus, this is unusually high right?

im using the stock heat sink and fan.. the fan is working, all the other fans in the case are working and the heat sink/fan are installed properly.

as soon as a play a game or anything that uses the cpu heavily, the computer will restart after about 1-2 hours of play, immediatly following restart the bios temp says 50 degrees celseus..

what are my options? upgrade the heatsink and/or fan? faulty cpu or heatsink/fan? the mobo supports my cpu so that shouldnt be a prob..

i dunno what else to think of

Last edited:
the cpu didnt come with any thermal compound.. should it have?

i just installed the cpu, than attached the heatsink/fan

you probably already know this but make sure your computer isnt in a conjested spot, where it has little air flow. And trying sticking a fan next to it, so you can figure out if its really overheating or not, because you could have fucked up ram too.

take your heatsink off the chip

head to radioshack, get some silicone thermal paste and put that on the core, a thin layer like a piece of paper

if there is a thermal pad under the heatsink remove it

put the heatsink back on and make sure it's on tight and right

see if your temps go down

sometimes those dumb thermal pads seem to insulate the core, they're really crappy

if your temps aren't low enough even then, get a better heatsink and some artic silver

All things considered, 50C isn't that bad; in fact, it's well below the thermal maximums of both the P4 and the Athlon, where you'll find many more users running hotter than that. Run Prime95 overnight, that'll give you a good idea if its heat, as Prime should return bad data before an outright crash.

yeah well, my athlon 2100 runs on idle at 68 deg, and during games its up to 78. and the guy who built it refuses to add fans. (it only has 1)

ok,

when you get some compound, make sure you go pick up some isopropyl alcohol and some cotton swabs.

clean both heatsync and cpu off very well.

if it were me, i wouldn't run it till i got the compound

Back