[NHL] Official Playoffs 2011 Thread

its gonna go like this yo..

1) WSH vs. 8) NYR - WSH in 6 Lundqvist is the only threat to the caps.

2) PHI vs. 7) BUF - PHI in 5 I think buffalo will pull one, if not two wins. They have shown some heart lately.

3) BOS vs. 6) MTL - BOS in 6 Boston is just a better team, and carey price is too much of a hothead

4) PIT vs. 5) TBL - TBL in 7 Tampa bay will prevail without crosby and malkin in their way. They lack playoff experience but should make it through the first round with that kind of talent. Coaching will be a huge factor.

1) VAN vs. 8) CHI - VAN in 6, no expl. needed

2) SJ vs. 7) LA - SJ in 6 With two of their top 6 forwards injured, LA is dead in the water. Quick may play a key role in the kings winning a couple of games though.

3) DET vs. 6) PHX - DET in 6 The wings won't be ousted by the coyotes... they are just a smarter team. In a seven game contest, they will prevail.

4) ANA vs. 5) NSH - NSH in 6 I only choose nashville here because they seem to have the ducks number. The ducks couldn't even beat the preds ONCE in the regular season, even with a couple of overtime chances.

Last edited:
Seriously, you can shit on the Habs as much as you want, but calling Price a hothead just shows how weak your arguments are for choosing BOS over MTL. On one hand, Price comes out of the 2010-2011 season as the second best goalie of the league behind Thomas... considering his age, it is quite a feat. On the other hand, Price is probably one of the most boring guy to interview on the entire team... no emotion, same voice pitch, always giving credit to the defense in front of him etc. If you are relating to his "celebrations" it doesn't get a lot to make you pissed.

Seriously, you can shit on the Habs as much as you want, but calling Price a hothead just shows how weak your arguments are for choosing BOS over MTL. On one hand, Price comes out of the 2010-2011 season as the second best goalie of the league behind Thomas... considering his age, it is quite a feat. On the other hand, Price is probably one of the most boring guy to interview on the entire team... no emotion, same voice pitch, always giving credit to the defense in front of him etc. If you are relating to his "celebrations" it doesn't get a lot to make you pissed.
dude it's common knowledge that he's a hothead asshole... everyone knows this

"Common knowledge" damn... that's some reliable source right there. Probably as reliable as "common knowledge" about the fact Martin lost control over his team in the last few weeks.

Man, I don't want to argue just for the sake of it but those are freaking fan blogs. People posting on rds.ca for example are complete retards that have no common sense of any rational thought. What was coming out of Martin's and other players' mouths last year was mainly aimed at is work ethic which he greatly improved this year with the results we all know now. I've always been among those who thought players hating a goalie normally play like shit in front of him. Yes Montreal's defense is allowing way too many shots on goal but how can you not be affected by losing your #1, #2 and #4(or 5 depending where you place Hamrlik) defensemen for most of the season? I don't know about his attitude dude but I've got the feeling the players in front of him are giving their best most of the nights they play pretty much like they did for Halak last year. And if Price really has an attitude problem, then at least he's backing up his words with some serious performances so saying the Bruins have a better team than the Habs is an argument I can live with when it comes to defending your opinion that the Bruins will win the matchup. Price's attitude though? Doesn't even count when the performances are top notch.

WSH(1) vs NYR(8) = Rangers in 7
PHI(2) vs BUF(7) = Phili in 5
BOS(3) vs MTL(6) = Boston in 6
PIT(4) vs TBL(5) = PIT in 7

VAN(1) vs CHI(8) = VAN in 5
SJ(2) vs LA(7) = SJ in 6
DET(3) vs PHX(6) = DET in 7
ANA(4) vs NSH(5) = NSH in 6

I like Anaheim but Pekke is gonna be lights out. They won't be able to score when their bottom 6 is on the ice.

Your DET vs PHX prediction is interesting and I kinda see it happening. It was one of the matchups I had the most trouble with coming down to my predictions.

I think people are really not giving enough credit and potential to BUF though... a couple could be surprised :)

Man, I don't want to argue just for the sake of it but those are freaking fan blogs. People posting on rds.ca for example are complete retards that have no common sense of any rational thought. What was coming out of Martin's and other players' mouths last year was mainly aimed at is work ethic which he greatly improved this year with the results we all know now. I've always been among those who thought players hating a goalie normally play like shit in front of him. Yes Montreal's defense is allowing way too many shots on goal but how can you not be affected by losing your #1, #2 and #4(or 5 depending where you place Hamrlik) defensemen for most of the season? I don't know about his attitude dude but I've got the feeling the players in front of him are giving their best most of the nights they play pretty much like they did for Halak last year. And if Price really has an attitude problem, then at least he's backing up his words with some serious performances so saying the Bruins have a better team than the Habs is an argument I can live with when it comes to defending your opinion that the Bruins will win the matchup. Price's attitude though? Doesn't even count when the performances are top notch.

I like carey price and think he is an amazing player. You're right, that was a weak sole reason as to why the canadiens will lose. IF you want to hear why I think he may not be reliable in the playoffs, here ya go:

Incredible in the net, but i had him on my fantasy team all year and he has been incredibly streaky. He didn't just lose a game here or there, he would lose many in a row, or near each other. That sort of streakiness, coupled with having NO good backup goaltender is not a great thing going into the playoffs. I hope the best for the kid, but he is young and the biggest part of being a goalie for him right now is the head game, which is the thorn in the side of most young netminders.

Montreals offense hasn't exactly been striking fear into people either, especially a defense as solid as boston's.

Habs and bruins are always a great match, I don't think it will be easy for either team to win, but I'll give it to boston.

I like carey price and think he is an amazing player. You're right, that was a weak sole reason as to why the canadiens will lose. IF you want to hear why I think he may not be reliable in the playoffs, here ya go:

Incredible in the net, but i had him on my fantasy team all year and he has been incredibly streaky. He didn't just lose a game here or there, he would lose many in a row, or near each other. That sort of streakiness, coupled with having NO good backup goaltender is not a great thing going into the playoffs. I hope the best for the kid, but he is young and the biggest part of being a goalie for him right now is the head game, which is the thorn in the side of most young netminders.

Montreals offense hasn't exactly been striking fear into people either, especially a defense as solid as boston's.

Habs and bruins are always a great match, I don't think it will be easy for either team to win, but I'll give it to boston.

Now that's something I can live with in terms of argument and you're totally right with his streaks. It will be a great match without any doubts.

Phoenix is talented, but I think detroit can out coach them. Assuming the wings are healthy, their only weakness is their defense. Kronwall is injured and lidstrom hasn't been as magical as usual lately... There isn't much going on besides brad stuart, but that's just one guy.

Everyone else has the flyers pegged to take down buffalo. I'm a little worried about bobrovsky vs miller.

Per ESPN:

Matthew Barnaby - Sabres (win in 7)
John Buccigross - Sabres (win in 7)
Scott Burnside - Flyers (win in 5)
Linda Cohn - Sabres (win in 6)
E.J. Hradek - Sabres (win in 6)
Pierre LeBrun - Sabres (win in 7)
Steve Levy - Sabres (win in 7)
Barry Melrose - Flyers (win in 6)

Although, Barnaby shouldn't count since he's an ex-Sabre and Linda Cohn is a woman. But she's also the only one to pick the Rangers :)D fingers crossed :D) but who knows.

While philly is ripe for the plucking, I don't think buffalo has the size.or scoring to pull it off.

Once pronger comes back the flyers Will be a lot tougher to beat.

Phoenix is talented, but I think detroit can out coach them. Assuming the wings are healthy, their only weakness is their defense. Kronwall is injured and lidstrom hasn't been as magical as usual lately... There isn't much going on besides brad stuart, but that's just one guy.

Isn't Zetterberg was out for the first round too?

im routing for phoenix in that one

ps, whoops i shaved this morning i guess my playoff beard only lasted 1 day

Back