[NHL] Official Playoffs 2011 Thread

Carter is also signed until he's 37. Only a small portion of players will play at that age. Nothing against Carter, I think he's a great player, but I am always skeptical about contracts signed that long. Especially when they were often done to avoid big cap hits by front loading them.

His deal is same as all the long term deals the flyers did. They are essentially defrauding the cap system. Those contracts were all front loaded with real money and the last 2-3 years are for like 500k.

The dead years at the end make the cap hit lower and make the player more tradeable or encourage them to retire when they get old.

The Bryzgalov contract was rumored everywhere to be 7 years then announced at 9.
My bet is he will make 50M in the first 7 years which is the 7 a year he wanted then he will get 500k the last 2 years which he will never actually play. So he gets the 7 per he wanted and the flyers get a 5.5 cap hit instead of 7.

They can't structure it quite like that. They have a certain % that it's allowed to change compared to previous years. That's why Kovy's contract was initially so long. His money was getting tapered off towards the end. They can't go from 7 million in one year to 500k the next.

When we last saw the San Jose Sharks in the Western Conference finals, we left Rogers Arena in Vancouver thinking they had to make acquiring a top-four defenseman their top priority in the offseason.

Well, that didn't take long.

Silky smooth, offensive blueliner Brent Burns was acquired by the Sharks on Friday night, as San Jose sent winger Devin Setoguchi, Charlie Coyle and its first-round pick (28th overall) to the Wild. Minnesota also traded its 2012 second-round pick as part of the deal.

gonna miss seto

Back