Next Generation Xbox - May 21st

I think you missed the part about needing the cd-key to authenticate/install, which solves all the problems you listed and only requires you to be online once and only once when you install the game in theory

so

go back and read it again you fuckwit
If they don't do a 24 hr check then once you install the game you can sell it and keep playing it.

Unless they check the cert they'd never know.

then the other person can't play it because you're still using the cd-key

ergo microsoft introduces a service whereupon everyone knows they need to be getting transferred keys with their physical media, or just going purely digital in the first place and not bothering at all with discs

it's not complicated unless you're retarded, which you apparently are?

Pagy u r also autistic apparently

Is caswell such a fanboy that he honestly thinks that what ms is doing is a good thing contrary to what sony (keeps on) doing.

Is caswell bobby kotick or whatever?

I haven't seriously owned a Sony product since PS1

I think maybe I got a PS2 eventually a while after release or something but I was never a big PS2 guy

that said I think Sony is clearly going to be my choice for this gen, even though I really liked 360

esp after that "fuck Microsoft, come into our welcoming arms" video

Hold up on the Sony bandwagon for a moment...

Sony reiterates any DRM on used games will be left up to the publisher
While PS4 itself won’t block pre-owned games, Sony has said any DRM is up to publishers, a sentiment which has been said before.

According to SCEA boss Jack Tretton, “the DRM decision for third-party games will be up to publishers,” he told GTTV.

PS4 will not require an always online connection and, it will not block the use of second hand titles, according to Tretton last night and Sony Worldwide boss Shuhei Yoshida back in February.

Yoshida said that any DRM on used games will be left up to the publisher in question, so today’s comment isn’t really a surprise.

Sony reiterates any DRM on used games will be left up to the publisher | VG247

I don't think that's the point

the point is Sony is obviously making it about the consumer (at least on the surface, it's all a marketing/sales ploy but if the consumer benefits in the end then qed it's good for the consumer)

whereas Microsoft has just shown how out of touch it is, or at least how arrogant it thinks it can be

fuck errrrone dey buy our shit anyways bros

then Sony's like LOL :shrug: maybe they won't, hey everyone who likes free ice cream

I don't think that's the point

the point is Sony is obviously making it about the consumer (at least on the surface, it's all a marketing/sales ploy but if the consumer benefits in the end then qed it's good for the consumer)

whereas Microsoft has just shown how out of touch it is, or at least how arrogant it thinks it can be

fuck errrrone dey buy our shit anyways bros

then Sony's like LOL :shrug: maybe they won't, hey everyone who likes free ice cream

Sony is just passing the buck. No drm is a far cry from "maybe not as much". If EA and most of the other big publishers are on board for this, what's the difference? MS's system just becomes slightly less flexible.

no 24h activation is the big one there bro

if you want to take your system and move to the mountains of Tibet and play your games, you can

if being forced to be constantly connected to an online world even makes you feel the slightest bit violated as a console consumer, you no longer have to with Sony

plus you chuck in used games and general freedom

you're looking at a game winner

they can't do that

idiot

or at least they won't, when they see xbone's sales flagging and Sony pulling ahead

what publisher is going to be like, oh let's go with Microsoft's strategy, that sinking boat seems perfectly serviceable for our needs

If they don't do a 24 hr check then once you install the game you can sell it and keep playing it.

Unless they check the cert they'd never know.
You and Caswell aren't understanding what he means. With PC games (and software in general) there are CD key systems where once a key is authorised for a certain user it cannot be used by anyone else until the original person de-authorises it and thus loses access to the game.

Probably not in the US, but in Europe if you were to buy a game where the key's already in use you'd have an unconditional right to return it. Combined with a simple web-based 'is this CD key in use?' check that retailers and independent buyers could use, it'd be a lot better and a lot less intrusive than what Microsoft have come up with. In fact, it'd be an improvement on the PC approach because Microsoft would have a central repository that stores all the CD key information — easy for retailers to tap into.

The really sad part is that Microsoft's smoke and mirrors are doing a really good job of making people forget that:

1. There was never a real problem that needed solving apart from Microsoft wanting more money
2. The problems that Microsoft claim their measures solve have already been solved before in better ways

they can't do that

idiot

or at least they won't, when they see xbone's sales flagging and Sony pulling ahead

what publisher is going to be like, oh let's go with Microsoft's strategy, that sinking boat seems perfectly serviceable for our needs

News: Sony confirms PS4 pre-owned DRM is 'up to third parties' - ComputerAndVideoGames.com

If the past has shown anything, as long as the games look good people will still buy them. And developers had no issue deploying "Online Passes" - I doubt they will stop now.

they can't do that

idiot

They can, and they already do. EA already has online passes which they just suddenly decided to stop with (because DRM is coming).

Sony is just passing the buck. No drm is a far cry from "maybe not as much". If EA and most of the other big publishers are on board for this, what's the difference? MS's system just becomes slightly less flexible.

I'd still rather have a system where I can avoid drm if I so choose by not purchasing games by publishers that support invasive drm than have a system that basically opts me in regardless because it's part of its core functionality.

Hold up on the Sony bandwagon for a moment...

Sony reiterates any DRM on used games will be left up to the publisher
While PS4 itself won’t block pre-owned games, Sony has said any DRM is up to publishers, a sentiment which has been said before.

According to SCEA boss Jack Tretton, “the DRM decision for third-party games will be up to publishers,” he told GTTV.

PS4 will not require an always online connection and, it will not block the use of second hand titles, according to Tretton last night and Sony Worldwide boss Shuhei Yoshida back in February.

Yoshida said that any DRM on used games will be left up to the publisher in question, so today’s comment isn’t really a surprise.

Sony reiterates any DRM on used games will be left up to the publisher | VG247
That was and is their policy for PS3 games too. Publishers can and have implemented things like 'online passes' to allow access to multiplayer servers. They come free with games, but obviously once used any future owners of the game would need to buy a new pass.

There are no measures within the console to stop people from accessing their games at all though, nor will there be in the PS4 by the sounds of it. Sure I guess a publisher could try and get a bit more ballsy just like they could with the PS3, but that'd make them directly accountable for any problems it causes and the shitstorm that'd ensue.

That's a far cry from mandating a virtually constant connection and putting a global system into place that limits your ability to sell. Also, it's EU law that customers must be able to freely resell so any publisher measures (including the XBone's, incidentally) could cause some interesting court cases.

Last edited:
you clowns watch who's going to buy BF4 and who's going to buy Call of Duty or whatever similar shooter, when one offers full freedom to just play it without worrying and the other tethers you to a 24h check on the console

seriously you act like one big publisher choosing DRM will suddenly mean everyone has to play those games, rather than people having the choice because there's 100000 fucking games in the world

and that's IF it happens, which it won't except for big name sellers where your online profile is 90% of the game anyway

you clowns watch who's going to buy BF4 and who's going to buy Call of Duty or whatever similar shooter, when one offers full freedom to just play it without worrying and the other tethers you to a 24h check on the console

seriously you act like one big publisher choosing DRM will suddenly mean everyone has to play those games, rather than people having the choice because there's 100000 fucking games in the world

and that's IF it happens, which it won't except for big name sellers where your online profile is 90% of the game anyway

Fuck man, I hate EA and the game they rolled out this year look awesome in general. Ubisoft as well. You aren't buying a "next-gen" system to sit there and only play 2d platformers.

Sony wins hands down

quote this in November

they were probably developing an "experience" 100% identical to Microsoft before MS flopped, so then they quickly changed and were like NO ACTUALLY WE SUPPORT USED GAMES AND ARE DRM FREE LOL while brushing their 24h auth server under the rug with their left foot

either way at this point it's basically a checkmate Sony --> Microsoft, from a purely marketing perspective. Microsoft either looks like an asshole or has to change its policies, and either way it's losing face and likely money as a result

I'd still rather have a system where I can avoid drm if I so choose by not purchasing games by publishers that support invasive drm than have a system that basically opts me in regardless because it's part of its core functionality.

That's assuming that most of the big pubs don't go with it. I wouldn't bet on it. All it takes is a few of the big ones to do it and what are you going to do? Boycott EA, Activision, etc? Have fun playing nothing but 1st party and a few other games.

Back