[NEW OFFICE PC] New office computer build

Hit

Contributor
Veteran XV
***UPDATED INTEL BUILD ON PAGE 2**** I think i'll be going with the Intel based on recommendations :shrug:

K so,

One of my machines in my office is dieing and needs to be upgraded. I haven't put together a box in a few years, but there's no way I'm ordering a dell.

Here is what I've put together with a little research, please advise!

Processor:
AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor $189.00

Mobo:
ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO AM3 AMD 785G HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail $99.99

Memory:
CORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMD4GX3M2A1600C8 $129.99

HD
Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive 64.99

Power supply:
OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ600MXSP 600W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC 79.99

Case:
LIAN LI Lancool PC-K7B Black Aluminum/ SECC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case $79.99

$639 total cost

I can swap out some components for cheaper ones if there isn't a significant price change, but it's a computer that I would want to last for many years to come so I don't mind spending a bit more on a quality component.

What do you guys think?? :sunny:

*edit* edited based on suggestions.. how is it now?
*edited* swapped for a 640 32MB catch hd, I don't really have a need for 1 TB.
*edit* swapped for the same mobo in ATX

Last edited:
I'm not here to make recommendations. I'm here to gloat. I'm getting a new system at work next week.

Core i7 Extreme 975
Asus P6T motherboard
12GB DDR3
Geforce GTX 275

Considering I'm upgrading from a Core2Duo E8400, 4GB DDR2, and ATI 4870, it's not really necessary, but I'm still stoked I'm getting it.

OK, I liked about no recommendations. Don't get a raptor drive. I have about 60 of that exact same drive deployed to my users at work. I've got over a 25% failure rate on the drives in the first 6 months of having them.

Get a 1TB Western Digital drive. Don't get a velociraptor and don't get a seagate.

I'm being upgraded because my computer can be trickled down to someone off in HR somewhere.

So no!

If I were able to give it away, I'd take it in a heartbeat for me. I'm still running a 5600+ and 8800GT at home.

From Budget Gaming Rig by notwasabi - TribalWar Forums

This thread is full of contradictions.

1. You don't wait for the newest video card to be released for a "budget" rig. You get the one known for the best bang for your buck
2. The core i7 920 requires a more expensive motherboard, processor, and a third stick of RAM for performance that is pretty much equal to the core i5. There's no need for a 920 any more. You either go i5, or go for an extreme i7 for 10x the price.
3. a $170 motherboard is not a "budget" motherboard.

Case AND power supply $90 (order NOW. It's on sale!)
Newegg.com - Antec Sonata III 500 Black 0.8mm cold rolled steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 500W Power Supply - Computer Cases

cpu - $180
Micro Center - Core i5 750 Processor Boxed

motherboard - $100
Newegg.com - Intel BOXDP55WB LGA 1156 Intel P55 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
It's Intel branded, so it'll probably work fine

RAM - $80
Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL - Desktop Memory

hdd - $70 (Avoid Seagate as the last 3 generations of drives have had problems)
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Blue WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

DVD burner - $30
Newegg.com - LITE-ON Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW SATA CD/DVD Burner - Bulk - CD / DVD Burners

Video card - $220 (best bang for your buck right now)
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GV-N275UD-896I GeForce GTX 275 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

I just saved you over $200, as well as picked out your video card for you. I also included an optical drive, which you're probably going to want to upgrade anyways. Chances are your old one is IDE and switching to a SATA one is just plain nice for such a low price.

edit: just downgrade the video card if you don't want to game on it.

Last edited:
would a 32mb vs 16mb cache HD show any visible difference in performance??? If so, I'd rather spend a bit more to get a boost in something that'll be used for years to come.

Also, maybe I should swap for your linked case -- would a 500W psu be enough for my build?

Not so much the cache as the platter density. From 640GB to 1TB, you should be hitting a higher platter density, resulting a small boost in performance. I'd say it's generally unnoticeable unless you're working on huge file transfers. I'd expect maybe a 10% boost in hard drive speeds, but I haven't run the numbers in a while so I can't tell you for sure.

edit: a 500w psu will be enough for anything except for SLI using really beefy video cards. You'd probably be able to get away with a 350W psu as long as it were a good brand (no, I'm not recommending a 350W psu).

Also, note that the core i5's are brand new and are beating out the phenom II's at the same pricing point.

I don't know about the Intel krustyy, I've been using AMDs in my computers for the past 8 years and I've never had a problem.

I'm a bit concerned about the memory... if the mobo says "DDR3 1800(O.C.)/1600(O.C.)/1333/1066/800 ECC,Non-ECC,Un-buffered Memory " does that mean that the 1600 won't run at 1600 normally and has to be overclocked to do so??
Should I look for one that says 1600 without the OC next to it?

I don't know about the Intel krustyy, I've been using AMDs in my computers for the past 8 years and I've never had a problem.

I'm a bit concerned about the memory... if the mobo says "DDR3 1800(O.C.)/1600(O.C.)/1333/1066/800 ECC,Non-ECC,Un-buffered Memory " does that mean that the 1600 won't run at 1600 normally and has to be overclocked to do so??
Should I look for one that says 1600 without the OC next to it?

Brand loyalty is a bad thing. You've been using AMD for the past 8 years because AMD has had the edge on performance from the original Athlon all the way up until Intel released the Core2duos. Now they've fallen behind in performance.

If you made this thread 2 weeks ago, I would've said to get the Phenom II because they're faster than the core2quads, but cheapre than the core i7s. Since then, the core i5's were released and the processors and motherboards are priced similar to the phenom II but run at a much lower wattage and offer better performance. Core i5 is simply the best way to go now.

as for the memory, don't worry about it. If the cpu will support it, the motherboard will. If not, you could always run it at 1333. The price difference between the 1333 stuff and the 1600 stuff is pretty much negligible.

what's wrong with seagate drives? i've got 2 for my laptop that work just fine :shrug:
one is 2-3 years old, the other is about a year old

Back