New GI Bill Passes House 416-12

Lexicon

Veteran-4
I know we have a few military people here on TW like me, who haven't finished school but plan on it when we get out. I was going to have to try and use the old GI Bill to pay for some of my school, stay in the reserves for the little extra money every month, and work almost full time while trying to go to school full time to make ends meet when I got out.

If this new GI Bill passes into law soon (looks like it might!), people like me and other military guys will get 100% tuition to a state school, $1000/year stipend for books/supplies, and a living allowance which will pay for housing and some food every month.

This is huge, and makes getting out and going to school a real possibility now instead of something depressing to try and plan for.

:sunny: :sunny: :sunny:

I know we have a few military people here on TW like me, who haven't finished school but plan on it when we get out. I was going to have to try and use the old GI Bill to pay for some of my school, stay in the reserves for the little extra money every month, and work almost full time while trying to go to school full time to make ends meet when I got out.

If this new GI Bill passes into law soon (looks like it might!), people like me and other military guys will get 100% tuition to a state school, $1000/year stipend for books/supplies, and a living allowance which will pay for housing and some food every month.

This is huge, and makes getting out and going to school a real possibility now instead of something depressing to try and plan for.

My bro is in the airforce. He is excited for this and has been following it for quite some time. He's already done 8 years so he might use it to goto rotc and re enter as an officer.

My bro is in the airforce. He is excited for this and has been following it for quite some time. He's already done 8 years so he might use it to goto rotc and re enter as an officer.

I am AF as well. This is huge to people like me. When I found out this passed it was like winning the lottery. I know I shouldn't get my hopes up, because it's not law yet, but jesus this is exciting.

What many people don't realize is this will help the economy as well. Tons of money poured into schools and education, and a ton of new skilled graduates to go into the job market. It boosted the economy a lot last time they did something like this.

“When President Franklin Delano Roosevelt signed the original GI Bill in 1944, he ensured that 8 million World War II veterans would be able to afford an education,” Rieckhoff said. “It resulted in higher national productivity, consumer spending and tax revenue. Every dollar spent sending the Greatest Generation to college added seven dollars to our national economy.”

gotta get those enrollment rates up up up!

nothing like giving the lower-middle class, under-acheiving joe schmoes w/ average intelligence the hope of someday making something of their lives w/ one more shot at getting into college. even better yet, the govn't will pay!

watch out for those IEDs!

nothing like giving the lower-middle class, under-acheiving joe schmoes w/ average intelligence the hope of someday making something of their lives w/ one more shot at getting into college. even better yet, the govn't will pay!

You are retarded if you really believe that. Which wouldn't suprise me given that this is TW, but still.

It's not just under-acheiving joe schmoes w/ average intelligence that join. There are people that join the service that have gone through college such as myself. It's a valid career choice and one with quite a bit to offer if you do it right.

But doesnt that seem fair, now the military is being misused of course but I always thought that was a perfect trade off. Serve your country get a free ride to a state school.

Why not have a peace corp type deal that is the same way, as I think you pretty much need a degree to do the peace corps, why limit it. If you do a service for your country I dont see why you shouldnt be rewarded.

Would allow the middle and lower class to actually afford college, and give kids some quality life experiance.

You are retarded if you really believe that. Which wouldn't suprise me given that this is TW, but still.

right, because this bill targets families w/ money, kids that actually put forth the effort to get scholarships, OR individuals smart enough to know they more than likely come home fucked up in some way, shape, or form.

i think we're all on the same page that this war isn't about "saving america from the terrorists"

who's the retard?

This is the same one that Bush vetoed and that McCain opposed, correct?

right, because this bill targets families w/ money, kids that actually put forth the effort to get scholarships, OR individuals smart enough to know they more than likely come home fucked up in some way, shape, or form.

i think we're all on the same page that this war isn't about "saving america from the terrorists"

who's the retard?

This thread had nothing to do with what the war is about. It is about a bill that is giving servicemen and women more benefits for serving their country. This bill is perfect for me, who is graduating from college with a degree in December and plans on joining. Most of the people that join are smart enough to know that they can be killed. It's the fucking military. It happens. People join for the benefits and people join to do what they feel they need to as it pertains to duty.

Last edited:
Back