New Exciting Star Citizen Thread

I haven't looked into the specifics of this, but in general, it's good business sense to have seemingly ludicrous offers like this.

I think it was Chris Wilson of Path of Exile fame who said in an interview that where a lot F2P and microtransaction-based games fail is that they put a ceiling on how much one player can spend on the game. Sure, most people will only ever pay a couple hundred bucks tops, but every now and then you get one guy who's willing to dump thousands into your game because he just doesn't give a fuck. There's no reason not to let them do it: they cost you the same amount of resources as any other player, but produce a dozen times the income or more.

Granted, things are slightly different when your game has been in alpha and barely making any progress for years, but there's nothing wrong with the principle.

hey i dont disagree tho i think many have learned this by now as i dont see that many f2p models with limits on spending.

but the problem with offering some single absurdedly priced thing is it raises an ethical ire among the community. thats what we see here... but spreading out across many items is how most get away with it.

the most successful models are the likes of candy crush with small transactions, not content ownership based (like skins), and unlimited.

They're making progress... just veeery veeeeeeery slowly.

Trying to charge $20 for the privilege of watching their PR events is a whole different level of retarded though.

Not really the case.

You can watch the same thing that was streamed in the earlier citizencons always for free (the Opening demonstration by Chris Roberts).

BUT like all the earlier years they have had other keynotes, on 2 different stages that were never streamed or recorded before.

This year they wanted to also stream and release these to youtube, BUT remember that ALL pledges go towards developing the game, and ONLY sponsors or subscribers monthly fee go towards community content (lige citizencon)

So this year they wanted to hire a professionel streaming/video company to handle the streaming of all sessions and conversion/upload to youtube. This raises the cost to more than their budget, and therefore tried to ofset the cost by offering the NEW content (that have never before been streamed or released) as a paid offer to watch live (they were still being released afterwards on youtube for all to see).

But the community went crazy and they have now backed down from using a professionel company to handle the streaming / editing etc. And made it all free

fyi several months ago they sold a 27000$ package (bunch of ships), and in order to even buy it u had to have already spent 1k lol

I tried this during the free flight thing. the variable walk speed on mouse wheel and interaction mode made arma feel smooth by comparison. The ~15 minute autopilot to the nearest planet was the kicker that got it uninstalled.

I backed this game in 2012 and was very excited. When 2014 rolled around I decided that the game was vaporware and walked away.

I installed just this past month to see if any progress had been made. What I found is that RSI has become addicted to designing and selling ships to keep generating cash and not much else. The game, while ambitious, is super buggy and there is nothing to do.

Back