New Car or Used Car...?

filsinger said:
My car is currently 8 years old (138,000km). I have put almost NOTHING in terms of money into it via repairs. I get an oil change every 5000km (3000miles), the only thing I've done to it since I owned it was put new tires on and replace the front/rear brakes and the occasional tune-up.

But hey whatever floats your boat, if you want to justify renting a car for your entire life then do whatever you need to do.
original exhaust? if not due to go.
original suspension? if so probably needs work, but youre neglecting it to save money ETC. I hate idiots that drive around in old shitty cars to save a few bucks. Cars nowadays are disposable. Everything is only engineered to last so long. thinking you have the Lou Gherig of cars all the times is a sign of having your head up your ass.

I'd rather own something that is worth less then I owe, then nothing at all.

Here is a quick example. (Canadian Prices)

Mazda 6 - $18,964 (after tax)
to buy:
48 Months @ $427.26 @3.9% = $20508

to lease:
48 Months @ $286.16 @5.9% = $13735 + ($7,914.30 - Lease End Value) = $21649.

So assuming you have the $8k at the end and you don't have to finance that you pay over $1000 more for the vehicle then purchasing it.

Automatic Jack said:
ROFL, I hear they compensate by eating the depreciation because being dumb is masculine.

If you buy a car that is roughly 3 years old the original depreciation is gone. Not once did I recommend or say you should buy brand new. That's just dumb.

filsinger said:
I'd rather own something that is worth less then I owe, then nothing at all.

Here is a quick example. (Canadian Prices)

Mazda 6 - $18,964 (after tax)
to buy:
48 Months @ $427.26 @3.9% = $20508

to lease:
48 Months @ $286.16 @5.9% = $13735 + ($7,914.30 - Lease End Value) = $21649.

So assuming you have the $8k at the end and you don't have to finance that you pay over $1000 more for the vehicle then purchasing it.
Duh what tipped you off? The fact that on the lease you mentioned there was a difference of 2% in the rate? Whats the rate over 60 months?

4niKtor said:
I hate idiots that drive around in old shitty cars to save a few bucks.

yeah, because everyone should have $400/month lease payments instead of actually owning a car. I mean... owning a car? wtf is up with that? I hate them too! jerks and their car ownership.

I'm certainly not advocating leases for all situations, but they have their place. I know lots of people who buy, then trade in for a loss and I wonder if a lease would be a better deal.

filsinger said:
If you buy a car that is roughly 3 years old the original depreciation is gone.
Along with the warranty. You ever stop to consider what the CAUSE of depreciation is? Why is the car worth less?

I am having a terrifying time with the Range Rover. $8k financed, $245/month...but as-is, no warranty, and parts and service are FUCKING outrageous.

Please don't break, please don't break...

"Depreciating Asset"

Buy a car that's 3 or so years old, Maxima or something like that, and it won't depreciate half its value in 2 years.

JackBlack said:
yeah, because everyone should have $400/month lease payments instead of actually owning a car. I mean... owning a car? wtf is up with that? I hate them too! jerks and their car ownership.
Its not so much the owning that annoys me, its when they get on their soapbox and blather on about the joys of owning a pos car

4niKtor said:
Duh what tipped you off? The fact that on the lease you mentioned there was a difference of 2% in the rate? Whats the rate over 60 months?

Over 60 months its even higher. The chances of getting the same interest rate in a lease vs a purchase is next to nil.

4niKtor said:
Its not so much the owning that annoys me, its when they get on their soapbox and blather on about the joys of owning a pos car

:lol: Oh man... or how about the people that scream the joys of renting a vehicle for 4 years and try to justify putting $15,000 into something without having ANYTHING to show for it... well except for more payments.

edit:

I'm not completely against leasing.. I believe there is a time and a place where it is definitly beneficial. But as a general purpose vehicle, there is no way I can comprehend how putting money in and having nothing come out in the end is worthwhile.

Last edited:
A car that you yanks pay 18K for (Mazda 6) in Australia costs $41,000.

Fuck that. I'm a big advocate of good quality used vehicles.

filsinger said:
I understand exactly how an open ended lease works. If you lease, then buy you're really stupid. In the end you pay far more then the car was worth in the beginning. The only benefit is a nicer car for smaller payments.

edit: see bold

This is exactly my point, you do a 3/4 year lease and in the end you don't own jack shit. Good job putting money into nothing. I'm sure you think rent/to own furniture is a good idea too.

Leasing is a good idea if you trade your car in every 3 to 5 years. Most Americans only own a car for 3 to 5 years and then buy a new one. They always have a car payment. Under this scenario, most Americans would be better off leasing.

Get off your fucking high horse too. Just because some people enjoy spending their money on cars does not mean that they are dumbasses. They enjoy having new cars every 3 to 5 years...good for them. You enjoy living a miserly excuse for a life....good for you.

Why spend $25 to $30K on an average new car when you can buy something much nicer for less that is used? I bought a 2000 Infiniti I30T about a month ago. It's loaded, clean as hell, sweet to drive, I only paid $10k for it, and IT'S PAID FOR. I'm pretty sure I'll never buy a new car again, unless somehow I become insanely rich.

I will only lease or buy used from now on. I lease because my company requires that I have a 5-year old or newer car for my vehicle reimbursement package.

Back