New Car or Used Car...?

misfit

Contributor
Veteran XV
Ok so my truck was totalled this past week, when a drunk driver pulled a hit and run on it when it was parked on the street. The guy was such a moron he left his car(even though it was still drivable) and just ran away. So anyway insurance is sorta fucking me on the deal and giving me $7100 for it.(1998 chevy s-10 zr2, 100k).

So my question is what should I do. Im going to be graduating school this summer and have a job lined up after that. I want to go with something that gets great gas milage and is reliable(truck cost me 6k in 3 years of owning it).

Should I get a new car, like a scion, or a toyota corrola, or even a honda civic, and put like 8-10k down on it. Or should I just buy a used car for 8-10k? It think this will be one of the only chances I will have to get a new( or newer) car for the next 5-7years.

Any advise or direction would be great.

They are giving you $7100 for a 8 year old POS s-10 with 100K on it and you think they are fucking you?

i wouldnt want to spend more then like 17-18k on a new car. Around $200 a month payment is all i would really want

Lockup said:
They are giving you $7100 for a 8 year old POS s-10 with 100K on it and you think they are fucking you?
It retails for around 9, so...somewhat they are.

rade1ha.jpg

retail9rx.jpg

Corolla if you want a dependable A-B car and are not concerned about luxuries or what kids on TW think.

I just bought a new Honda Civic. New cars are fine if you buy a brand that doesn't take a big hit on depreciation. I personally would rather have a new car knowing what the history is as I depend on it to get to and from work. No employer wants to hear you're late or can't make it because your POS is broke.

That being said, I'm selling my truck and driving the new Civic for a daily driver. Then picking up a used Jeep to tool around and off-road in.

Lease a car. I bought a car and regret it.

Why continue to pay X amount on a car when you will probably want a new one in a few years?

Another thing. Warranty. Its always covered.

Chances are you will be making more money in a few years to afford a new on.

I would only buy if you have a family and dont see much change in your future.

new cars are money pits

they are the worst investment you can make money wise.
you get raped on insurance, maintenence and god forbid you get in an accident with it.

Get a used civic or something. Honda makes the most reliable cars in the universe and you can spend all the money you save on way more fun stuff

Special---K said:
new cars are money pits

they are the worst investment you can make money wise.
you get raped on insurance, maintenence and god forbid you get in an accident with it.

Get a used civic or something. Honda makes the most reliable cars in the universe and you can spend all the money you save on way more fun stuff

:signed:

I regret buying new.

AkumA said:
Lease a car. I bought a car and regret it.

Why continue to pay X amount on a car when you will probably want a new one in a few years?

Another thing. Warranty. Its always covered.

Chances are you will be making more money in a few years to afford a new on.

I would only buy if you have a family and dont see much change in your future.

The only time you should ever lease is if you can use it as a right off for a home business/whatever. You are basically just renting the car and get nothing for your money at the end. Sure you get a nicer car for less money each month. But as I said.. you're essentially just renting it.

My suggestion is find the car you want, then get that car about 2 to 3 years old. All the initial depreciation is off it, but it should be in pretty good condition.

I just got a 2001 explorer that is still covered by a bumper to bumper warentee for the next 2 years. only 50k new tires/breaks only paid $8600.

I would look for something 3-4 years old that has a transferable warentee.

Back