NDA lifted for WotLK

2ma77t.jpg

So how exactly are mages getting super shafted... most of the stuff I'm reading seems fairly in line with the other classes.

Shatter Shield (Rank 01)(Frost) - Instantly shields you, absorbing 2000 Physical damage. Lasts 1 min. When the shield is destroyed, all enemies within 10 yards are frozen for 8 sec.
(1200 Mana, Instant, 30 sec CD)
[/c]
Instant 8 sec freeze + 2k dmg absorb that you can cast through on a 30 sec CD.

Incanter's Absorption (40 Pt Req) (Arcane) - When you absorb damage your spell damage is increased by 8/10/15% of the amount absorbed for 10 sec.
(3 Ranks)

Only cool thing I saw in the arcane tree.

Burnout (45 Pt Req) (Fire) - Increases your spell critical damage bonus with all Fire spells by 5/10/15/20/25% but every time you critical with a Fire spell you lose an additional 1% of your total mana.
(5 Ranks)

Hot Streak (40 Pt Req) (Fire) - Any time you score 3 spell criticals in a row, you have a 33/66/100% chance the next spell cast within 10 sec will gain 100% increased chance to score a critical hit.
(3 Ranks)

Hot Streak gets a lot better when you factor in burnout.

Winter's Grasp (35 Pt Req) (Frost) - Gives your Frost damage spells a 5/10% chance to apply the Winter's Grasp effect, which increases the chance all attacks will hit the target by 2% and the target is considered Frozen for 5 sec.
(2 Ranks)

Considered frozen w/ increased chance to be hit, shatter still applies and now you can stun them (Deep Freeze.)

Deep Freeze (50 Pt Req) (Frost) -Stuns the target for 5 sec. Only usable on Frozen targets.
(1 Rank, 1.5 sec, 30 sec Cooldown)

5 sec stun on a 30 sec cooldown, wannabe HoJ.

Brain Freeze (40 Pt Req) (Frost) - Your Frost Nova and Frostbite effects also reduce the target's chance to hit with all attacks by 5/10/15%.
(3 Ranks)

So frost nova does something else besides give you 50% increased chance to crit and freezing your target, opening them up for a 5 sec stun.

I'm not saying that mages are going to be OP, I just don't see how they are oh so much worse off than every other class.

I can only assume you have never played mage and havent read any of the changes for other classes when you made this post.

I was in WotlK alpha, and it was an interesting experience. Northrend really is an amazing job in terms of quest work and artwork.

On a side note, the DK starting area they patched in with beta is amazing. Seriously.

So how exactly are mages getting super shafted... most of the stuff I'm reading seems fairly in line with the other classes.

Shatter Shield (Rank 01)(Frost) - Instantly shields you, absorbing 2000 Physical damage. Lasts 1 min. When the shield is destroyed, all enemies within 10 yards are frozen for 8 sec.
(1200 Mana, Instant, 30 sec CD)
[/c]
Instant 8 sec freeze + 2k dmg absorb that you can cast through on a 30 sec CD.

Incanter's Absorption (40 Pt Req) (Arcane) - When you absorb damage your spell damage is increased by 8/10/15% of the amount absorbed for 10 sec.
(3 Ranks)

Only cool thing I saw in the arcane tree.

Burnout (45 Pt Req) (Fire) - Increases your spell critical damage bonus with all Fire spells by 5/10/15/20/25% but every time you critical with a Fire spell you lose an additional 1% of your total mana.
(5 Ranks)

Hot Streak (40 Pt Req) (Fire) - Any time you score 3 spell criticals in a row, you have a 33/66/100% chance the next spell cast within 10 sec will gain 100% increased chance to score a critical hit.
(3 Ranks)

Hot Streak gets a lot better when you factor in burnout.

Winter's Grasp (35 Pt Req) (Frost) - Gives your Frost damage spells a 5/10% chance to apply the Winter's Grasp effect, which increases the chance all attacks will hit the target by 2% and the target is considered Frozen for 5 sec.
(2 Ranks)

Considered frozen w/ increased chance to be hit, shatter still applies and now you can stun them (Deep Freeze.)

Deep Freeze (50 Pt Req) (Frost) -Stuns the target for 5 sec. Only usable on Frozen targets.
(1 Rank, 1.5 sec, 30 sec Cooldown)

5 sec stun on a 30 sec cooldown, wannabe HoJ.

Brain Freeze (40 Pt Req) (Frost) - Your Frost Nova and Frostbite effects also reduce the target's chance to hit with all attacks by 5/10/15%.
(3 Ranks)

So frost nova does something else besides give you 50% increased chance to crit and freezing your target, opening them up for a 5 sec stun.

I'm not saying that mages are going to be OP, I just don't see how they are oh so much worse off than every other class.

If you look at what you posted you'll see it's primarily ice mages that get remotely decent talents. Ice has always been fine for what it is, a PvP line (although IMO it does far too much comparable PvE damage to Fire and Arcane). Most mages will easily push 30%+ crit ratings, meaning every 3rd spell cast you lose 1% of your mana. Mages do not get mp5 gear at all, due apparently to their receiving free water, evocation every few minutes and mana gems that restore 1/3 of their total mana. That talent would drain all a mages mana pretty damn fast.

Basically the problem RS is that the talents are just so fricken bland. 5% more damage, a stun, higher crit %. Compare that to dual wielding 2H, AOE Corruption, etc... and it seems pathetic. No creativity, no fun. Other classes are getting complete reworks, rebalancing, etc. and all us mages get is a smaller mana cost to portaling people. Woohoo. Thank god I can portal people now without running out of mana.

I was in WotlK alpha, and it was an interesting experience. Northrend really is an amazing job in terms of quest work and artwork.

On a side note, the DK starting area they patched in with beta is amazing. Seriously.
Andy wtf are you up to these days? I heard somewhere that you joined Vodka or some shit.

Achievements, some of our dpsers are going to be putting up impressive numbers in deaths.
Achievements - Character

Some of these stats will be interesting if we can see them for other players, which we should at the very least in the armory.

Social:

Communication Chat lines read
Communication Greed rolls made on loot
Communication Highest expertise
Communication Keli'dan the Breaker kills (The Blood Furnace)
Communication Number of Guilds
Communication Total facepalms
Communication Total mail received
Communication Total mail sent
Communication Total times LOL'd
Communication Total times playing world's smallest violin
Communication Total times someone called a chicken
Friends 5v5 victories
Friends Number of friends
Groups Number of 10-person groups
Groups Number of 25-person groups
Groups Number of 40-person groups
Groups Number of 5-person groups
Groups Number of groups of <5
Groups Times considered resurrecting but logged instead
Guilds Guild Charters signed
Guilds Highest armor
Guilds Highest Guild rank
Guilds Items withdrawn from Guild banks
Guilds Quests abandoned
Guilds Time spent in longest Guild

Last edited:
they have NPC's u fight for that also if u dont want to pvp.

i made an orc DK sooo i cant even use that trinket :O

Back