Midtown madness 3?

Staples said:
What triple said above is true. Try to host your own LAN game. And I think I am the only one in the world who likes the single player on this game.
I liked it too, eventually, but I'm just shit out of time. I'm not like the guys on the board who can spend hours and hours to play through a fricken driver game. I've got one more job and a girlfriend, compared to a console game? I take my pick.

So you're suggesting I hook the Xbox up to the hub and see if I can fool it?

"I'm just that good".. meaning that if I don't get a full perspective on what the game has to offer, I recommend we don't run the review. I've already had to turn down Anarchy online, Neocron, Asheron's Call 2 et cetera because companies have expected us reviewers to pay for the honor of exposing their product to the wide market. Fuck that. If I have to, I'll write a "preview" text on it, but obviously I won't be able to rate a game I haven't gotten a thorough look at.

Last edited:
piotrr said:
Simple:

1. I don't give a fuck.
2. It's my second job. It pays about 1/6th of the game design job.
3. I'm just that good.
4. We're an RPG magazine.
4.a Console games are a tiny portion of what we do.
4.b Online console games have a tiny user group.
4.c Console DRIVING games are even farther off from our customers' zone of interest.
5. I'm not about to PAY for live to REVIEW their shit. If they want me to review it, they can send it to me for free or this is the result.
6. So are you going to help me or not?

how bout you dont review it

at all

if you cant experience the game it was meant to be played, then dont fucking write a review off a partial experience. Its like going to a baseball game for 2 innings and writing a sports article on it.

I don't know if it checks to see whether it is hooked up to a hub. If you select muliplayer and try to host a LAN game, it may let you play with all the cars whether another person playing the game is present or not. I will try it a little later and see if it works.

Staples said:
I don't know if it checks to see whether it is hooked up to a hub. If you select muliplayer and try to host a LAN game, it may let you play with all the cars whether another person playing the game is present or not. I will try it a little later and see if it works.
I tried just plugging in a network cable while the game was running but System Link was still greyed out. I haven't tried plugging it into a hub and restarting to see if that works. Maybe some other time.

triple said:
how bout you dont review it

at all
It's my job to try, and it's not really as if multiplayer is 80% of the game like you claim. There aren't 8 more cities and 12 more game modes online. The only thing "really" missing without actually playing against someone is, well, playing against someone. Capture the gold was already in the previous versions, this is just a different engine. If there had been serious interpolation problems, you guys would have said so, and that's not something I need to add my personal opinion of in order to create a functioning article.

I'm not reviewing a single experience or one baseball match here. I'm reviewing and informing about the rules and dynamics of the entire baseball rule set. Like I said before, if I don't believe I manage to do that, I recommend we don't run the article. But I'm still not going to pay Microsoft money to expose their material.

Besides, how exactly do you think we reviewers handle multiplayer games that aren't out yet? Who do you think we play against? Hmm? Nobody. Never. We have to have an eye for details and a mind for gameplay and draw the conclusions ourselves. Every single one of us.

piotrr, did you ever wonder why the mags are giving it mid 7s, and ign is giving it high 8s?

anyone?

oh, thats right, live is just that good. and yes, it is pretty much 80% of the game. this game was made for live.

you cannot take the full game in with only an offline experience. Thats all there is too it.

and btw, you think microsoft needs your shitty magazine to expose their game? rofl.. its the hottest fucking game in the past month.

See, this is how good a reviewer I am. Not only do I play the game, analyse it from the perspective of a game designer, but I also check out gaming forums to get an impression from other people. I don't jump on any bandwagons in either direction, but I get to hear about problems I've never seen or get to know what features other people love that I don't care for.

Most reviewers play the game, decide if THEY like it or not, and that's all they care about. Other reviewers (PC gamer) simply rate a game according to what they think others will think of it.

It might very well be the "hottest fucking game" since the Xbox had the last hottest fucking game, but like I said - they're way outside of our magazine's focus. If they don't want us to expose it, we do whatever the hell we like. If they'd help us out a little, we'd help them out.

Online "experience"? What the fuck is that? Am I supposed to rate a game according to the people I play against? According to what "fun things" happened while I drove with a friend of mine? What? It's the same physics, the same cities, the same cars. There are additional game modes online, which I will mention, but for the most part I will inform the reader and let him or her decide whether or not they like it. My job is to report whether or not the game is solidly put-together, if the car physics are good, if the environments are detailed and realistic.. you get the rest. I can do most of that without paying money for doing my job, and I don't have to break my principles.

Well there is no doubt in my mind that you are a crappy reviewer but none the less, here is what I found trying the system link option. My Xbox is plugged into a router of course because of Xbox Live. Anyway, if I host a multiplayer system link game, I am able to use any car. Whether or not there is anyone else on the network.

Last edited:
I just tried it. Plugged the box into the hub, fired up everything, "System Link" still greyed out.

Hm. Is yours greyed out before you hook it up, or am I running a crippled reviewer copy (in which case, Microsoft, not me, is to blame for not being able to review the "80% of the game").

triple said:
Apparently you're not short on ego either.
I know what I'm good at. To not know and admit that would be more counter-productive than harming a couple fragile gamer egos in the process of being honest.

piotrr said:
I know what I'm good at. To not know and admit that would be more counter-productive than harming a couple fragile gamer egos in the process of being honest.

If you were honest just inform your precious readers you didnt even play the meat of the game. Its like reviewing tribes 2 for the sp training missions. BUT THE MODELS AND TERRAIN IS THE SAME, WTF

Well I unplugged it from the router and then the sys link box is greyed. I tried it plugged into the router without the router connected to the net and it worked just fine. Looks like your hub is a piece of garbage.

triple said:
If you were honest just inform your precious readers you didnt even play the meat of the game. Its like reviewing tribes 2 for the sp training missions. BUT THE MODELS AND TERRAIN IS THE SAME, WTF

exactly, you're an idiot piotrr.

an even better comparison would be playing tribes 2 with bots, everything is the same but its computer players, and it fucking sucks. Meanwhile, I can actually have some fun playing t2 classic online.

Staples said:
Well I unplugged it from the router and then the sys link box is greyed. I tried it plugged into the router without the router connected to the net and it worked just fine. Looks like your hub is a piece of garbage.
Yes, it is. Thanks for clearing that up too, because I've been seriously wondering if it's even functional or not. :D Thanks for checking it for me against your setup.

Last edited:
triple said:
That's a cute and entirely erroneous comparison. Botmatches are much more similar, where the weapons, physics, maps and game modes are entirely similar but the opponents are inhuman.

Well, I just unlocked the lotus, with .25 sec left in the last race :eek:

Rabid Poop, what's your livetag?

me = PerfectReno

shit you just missed a hell of a game

me, gon, fraggle, rabidpoop, tal, k-rex.. uh.. i think that was it

like half my fucking friend list was there

Back