Looking for a new game 'like Tribes to play?

[TV] Community map pack still coming?

Hi mappers,

Is the Community map pack still coming, or have the mappers all given up on TV?

I think a decent map pack could still blow a little more life into the game.

Anyone got an update?

I don't think there will be a "community" map pack. By community, you're referring to a conglomeration of user made maps put together, no matter how much they are unbalanced, or unfit for ladder play? Then, no, not that I'm aware of.

TWL otoh, is working on developing a TWL map pack, that is a mixture of both stock (but customized) and user developed maps, that has been tweaked and playtested with a heavy slant towards competitive play. THIS is almost done.

Go to www.teamwarfare.com for more information.

Fucking nice man. Wish I knew this shit a while ago though, one of my match demos was so badly borked, the camera just stayed on my corpse after 1st death, for 15 fucking minutes..., while the movement still matched the motions of my actual playing. creepy. heh.

I think the funniest thing about this thread is that nobody takes into account why Tribes 2 (aka Torque) was re-written from the ground up.

Perhaps the devs took a look at what the T1 source looked like at the time of release and said, "Holy shit we have got to do something. This is a complete piece of shit."

There is nothing uglier than game source code. Nothing. Take the worst possible piece of source code you have ever seen (Pick the open-source project of your choice). Strip out the useful comments, add in comments like:
"We need to optimize this loop before beta"
Put in 2d6+4 global variables named obscurly, or named something like 'gStupidFuckingRenderHack'. Add in some magic numbers. Randomly format the indenting. Every other function should have all whitespace removed. Then you will have something that looks like a piece of game code.

loop said:
edit - oh, and rikean panther - as the "we're not tribes guy", i apologize for any bad taste that thought may leave in your mouth. When you have fear of the entire weight of VUG's legal team crashing down on you at any moment, you say things like that. Currently, we're not so freaked out by that though - I think they don't give an actual flying poop about us currently. Besides, Marweas is being a bit higher profile. :)

I don't have anything against you or legends and I understand your position completely.

At least someone could "lift" out the appropriate physics and whatever other elements that are appropriate. No need to recreate those elements from scratch.

I think the source would at a minimum be an excellent reference for a future project.

Tribes3: Legends.

/me waits for the VUG suits to come knocking on the door.

/me then waits for loop to come knocking on the door...

Please dont kill me :cry: :beg: :cry:

Back