[LAPTOP] Buying a new one, recommendations?

Never had good experiences with toshibas, hps, or sonys. I do laptop repair, so I've seen a shitload of laptops and all their problems.

dells are pretty good, they have some issues but their warranty/repair services are better than most.

macbooks have some known problems as well, but you pay more upfront to avoid potential issues with slightly higher quality. don't let the warranty run out though, out of warranty repair on macbooks is ridiculously expensive.

Out of curiosity, have you dealt with lenovo? As far as I know, higher end Lenovo and even some mid-end Lenovo laptops are fairly solid, few if any hardware issues for 2-3, or sometimes over 5 years. One tech who repairs all laptops told me he gets a lot of Lenovo desktops as Lenovo desktops are garbage, but he has had a lot of Lenovo laptop customers who don't have problems. Often they are happy with their Lenovo laptop (few if any issues), bought a Lenovo desktop, then discovered it's garbage but it's too late.

Out of curiosity, have you dealt with lenovo? As far as I know, higher end Lenovo and even some mid-end Lenovo laptops are fairly solid, few if any hardware issues for 2-3, or sometimes over 5 years. One tech who repairs all laptops told me he gets a lot of Lenovo desktops as Lenovo desktops are garbage, but he has had a lot of Lenovo laptop customers who don't have problems. Often they are happy with their Lenovo laptop (few if any issues), bought a Lenovo desktop, then discovered it's garbage but it's too late.

In my experience I put them in order as follows:

Dell
Lenovo
Toshiba

Nothing beats Dells business laptops. Solid quality. Easy as hell to work on. Awesome support. I love calling them and getting NA based support and having the part overnighted. I call them, tell them who I am and what I do for a living. Tell them what I did to troubleshoot and 9 times out of 10 they start ordering the part without any further troubleshooting.

I've been looking at the new Asus Lappys that are out... not sure what everyones opinions are on asus laptops. I've been strictly dell laptops

good timing on this thread

i need a portable powerhouse

For you and the OP:

Asus - Laptop / Intel® Core™ i7 Processor / 17.3" Display / 6GB Memory / 640GB Hard Drive - Black - G73JH-BST7

Quick specs:
# Intel® Core™ i7-740QM processor
Features a 6MB L3 cache and 1.73GHz processor speed.
# Intel® Core™ i7 processor
Features 8-way processing for ultimate smart performance. Intel® Turbo Boost Technology delivers extra performance when you need it and increased energy efficiency when you don't.
# 6GB DDR3 memory
For multitasking power, expandable to 8GB.
# Multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW drive with double-layer support
Records up to 8.5GB of data or 4 hours of video using compatible DVD+R DL and DVD-R DL media.
# 17.3" LED-backlit high-definition widescreen display
With 1600 x 900 resolution showcases movies and games in stunning clarity.
# 640GB Serial ATA hard drive (5400 rpm)
Offers spacious storage and fast read/write times.
# Built-in facial recognition
Protects sensitive information.
# ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870 graphics
Feature 1GB GDDR5 memory for lush images. HDMI output for connection to an HDTV.

I bought two of them and well worth the money. Enjoy.

In my experience I put them in order as follows:

Dell
Lenovo
Toshiba

Nothing beats Dells business laptops. Solid quality. Easy as hell to work on. Awesome support. I love calling them and getting NA based support and having the part overnighted. I call them, tell them who I am and what I do for a living. Tell them what I did to troubleshoot and 9 times out of 10 they start ordering the part without any further troubleshooting.

Is this normal Dell support line or business or priority support line?

I had many horrible, horrible experience with Dell support. Once I spent literally over 2.5 hours on the phone with script driven Dell tech support to convince them I need a new LCD screen, perhaps more. I told them I already plugged in my laptop into a desktop monitor and it works just fine, it's my laptop LCD that is blank, dead.

The Indian tech support on the other end just say "Sir, can you see your desktop." OMG.... I finally gave in and had him walk me through ALL the troubleshooting steps, starting with Sir, can you see the desktop, no, power off the computer, reboot, what can you see?

it was incredibly bad. I already told them what I went through prior to phone calling them, any decent tech support should realize I know what I'm doing and already cross-referenced to eliminate some possibilities. Asking me Sir can you see the desktop AFTER all the stuff I said is just stupid beyond imagination. Hello, if my screen is not dead, of course I can see the desktop, I told you I can see the desktop with my desktop monitor....sigh

I wasn't alone once the tech sent by Dell to my home to fix my laptop shared with me his frustration, he was put on hold and had to waste over 1/2 hour of his precious time to argue with the Dell support what he needs because they are just script following robot.

We actually sell Lenovo laptops. As far as I know, the only thing we've had to replace on any of the ones we've sold is some hard drives.

I really like their laptops, they're well built. The desktops are definitely crap.

Is this normal Dell support line or business or priority support line?

I had many horrible, horrible experience with Dell support. Once I spent literally over 2.5 hours on the phone with script driven Dell tech support to convince them I need a new LCD screen, perhaps more. I told them I already plugged in my laptop into a desktop monitor and it works just fine, it's my laptop LCD that is blank, dead.

The Indian tech support on the other end just say "Sir, can you see your desktop." OMG.... I finally gave in and had him walk me through ALL the troubleshooting steps, starting with Sir, can you see the desktop, no, power off the computer, reboot, what can you see?

it was incredibly bad. I already told them what I went through prior to phone calling them, any decent tech support should realize I know what I'm doing and already cross-referenced to eliminate some possibilities. Asking me Sir can you see the desktop AFTER all the stuff I said is just stupid beyond imagination. Hello, if my screen is not dead, of course I can see the desktop, I told you I can see the desktop with my desktop monitor....sigh

I wasn't alone once the tech sent by Dell to my home to fix my laptop shared with me his frustration, he was put on hold and had to waste over 1/2 hour of his precious time to argue with the Dell support what he needs because they are just script following robot.

I've had to deal with Dell tech support for our customers numerous times. I *always* use their online chat. I explain what the problem is, what I did to test it (error codes from dell diagnostics if possible), and what part I've decided it needs.

At worst, they've asked me a few questions before authorizing the part. The vast majority of the time they immediately ask for the shipping address, and don't question it at all.

We actually sell Lenovo laptops. As far as I know, the only thing we've had to replace on any of the ones we've sold is some hard drives.

I really like their laptops, they're well built. The desktops are definitely crap.

I've had to deal with Dell tech support for our customers numerous times. I *always* use their online chat. I explain what the problem is, what I did to test it (error codes from dell diagnostics if possible), and what part I've decided it needs.

At worst, they've asked me a few questions before authorizing the part. The vast majority of the time they immediately ask for the shipping address, and don't question it at all.

yeah, I use the chat more and more as well. It's not always possible though, if a laptop is dead and you are at a place without internet or working laptop (yeah yeah, should've brought one with me), I'm stuck with phone support. You are also stuck with their support plan. Hence in my post I said if I know I might possibly need to support my friends & family on their laptop purchase, I only recommend mid-high end Lenovo laptop and Dell laptop with priority support. I'm fed up with grossly incompetent tech support.

For you and the OP:

Asus - Laptop / Intel® Core™ i7 Processor / 17.3" Display / 6GB Memory / 640GB Hard Drive - Black - G73JH-BST7

Quick specs:
# Intel® Core™ i7-740QM processor
Features a 6MB L3 cache and 1.73GHz processor speed.
# Intel® Core™ i7 processor
Features 8-way processing for ultimate smart performance. Intel® Turbo Boost Technology delivers extra performance when you need it and increased energy efficiency when you don't.
# 6GB DDR3 memory
For multitasking power, expandable to 8GB.
# Multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW drive with double-layer support
Records up to 8.5GB of data or 4 hours of video using compatible DVD+R DL and DVD-R DL media.
# 17.3" LED-backlit high-definition widescreen display
With 1600 x 900 resolution showcases movies and games in stunning clarity.
# 640GB Serial ATA hard drive (5400 rpm)
Offers spacious storage and fast read/write times.
# Built-in facial recognition
Protects sensitive information.
# ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870 graphics
Feature 1GB GDDR5 memory for lush images. HDMI output for connection to an HDTV.

I bought two of them and well worth the money. Enjoy.

been looking at these

been looking at these

If you are, consider upgrade the HDD to a similar capacity but 7200 RPM HDD (smaller capacity 7200 RPM HDD may not outperform the existing 5400 RPM large capacity HDD) or a Solid State HDD. Often the bottle neck is the storage devise. You have i7, 6GB memory, 1GB video memory video card, it's a waste to go with mere 5400 RPM HDD.

My experience is mostly with their business line. All of my clients use Dell and when family or friends want a machine I make them order a Latitude, Optiplex or a Vostro if they are willing to spend the extra $100 or so.

My experience is mostly with their business line. All of my clients use Dell and when family or friends want a machine I make them order a Latitude, Optiplex or a Vostro if they are willing to spend the extra $100 or so.

I don't think Vostro is a pure business laptop but the other 2 are. Business laptops in general use different parts than the consumer ones. They tend to last longer for a reason.

I think that extra $100 is well worth it. Also, in general, I believe Quanta laptop is better than Compal laptops. I think Quanta tend to be in business class laptops while Compal appear in both consumer + business. One of my inspiron laptop is made by Compal, according to my laptop motherboard's inscription :)

Vostro is their small business line. Same support number AFAIK.

But yes the buiness machines are usually higher end components and they are engineered to be worked on. I love how easily I can tear a Latitude apart and put back together.

Vostro is their small business line. Same support number AFAIK.

But yes the buiness machines are usually higher end components and they are engineered to be worked on. I love how easily I can tear a Latitude apart and put back together.

Except the parts are dreadfully expensive too :( I have a latitude that works, except one key is stuck (I tried to repair it, can't, then I tried to cannabalize my old old latitude keyboard, the key placements on top is the same, but under neath connectors for the screws were not, so I couldn't), and dead optical drive. I have trouble even finding used ones on flea bay because it's so old (Pentium 3).

After working on Packard Bell and NEC desktops, and old old Apple Macintosh (back in 1989 or so), these laptops aren't bad :)

I know the Vostro support number is the same, but I don't know if the components on Vostro are the same quality as latitude and optflex, that's all.

I'd never recommend buying a sony., their tech support sucks major ass.

What tech support? :) I steered friends and family away from Sony since 2001 or 2002, after too many problems with it. My Sony laptop screen started to die after just 2 or 3 years, it was a dreadfully expensive one too :(

I know that (somebody else's) personal experience is a poor guide, but I have a Vostro 1500. It has been phenomenal. I've had it for three years, and there are few reasons why I'd ever consider a new laptop. It's extremely well built. Even the keyboard has stood up to three years of use. It's easy to get to anything internally (I upgraded the CPU/memory) as it is with most Dells. The screen I got on it, a 1920x1200 15.6" glossy, is one of the best screens I've ever used, although I did pay a significant amount just for the screen. If it had come with an HDMI port, it would have been my most perfect buy.

Yeah Sony makes many quality products, anything computer related however steer away from.

Whenever people buy Sony PC/Laptops a piece of me dies inside.

The great thing about sonys is that every screw is a different size...and there are 500 of them.

Back