[LAPTOP] Buying a new one, recommendations?

So, unfortunately I missed the black friday deals since my refund didn't come in until today, but.. I'm buying a new one and I'm not sure whats good anymore. I used to own a beast of an Acer but the drivers were always a pain.

I'm just looking for something reliable and quick.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Durka durka muhammad jihad.

I've been looking at the new Asus Lappys that are out... not sure what everyones opinions are on asus laptops. I've been strictly dell laptops

good timing on this thread

i need a portable powerhouse

Not sure what your budget is like, but I purchased an Envy 14 from HP a few months back and I absolutely love it. I upgraded the processor a bit and went for the Radiance Display (1600x900, really nice), spent around $1100ish for the whole thing.

Cyber Monday? Don't see any information at any major retailers (bestbuy, newegg, etc.) for discounts.. Maybe I'm blind.

I'll check into the envy, ty :)

perfect timing on the thread. I'm looking as well. I'm leaning heavily toward the 13" macbook pro for $1099. Other opinions welcome. I've never owned a mac.

HP Envy is good.
Alienware M11 gets crazy good reviews.

I have a 15" Sager (i forget the model number). It's almost 2 years old now but i spent like $1800 on it originally and it is a beast still. I love this thing. So much more reliable than the Dell laptop I had before. I highly recommend Sager notebooks.

perfect timing on the thread. I'm looking as well. I'm leaning heavily toward the 13" macbook pro for $1099. Other opinions welcome. I've never owned a mac.

Argh, jealous. My girl already has one and since we're really big on music, we've got the Zune Pass (both own zunes, obvsly) so we need a windows laptop as well. Even on the faster macbooks, Zune is SLUGGISH through virtuals. :\

for real though if u want quality it sounds trendy but get a macbook

the framework and physical structure is better since its all one piece and made of metal so it won't get loose or vibrate or shake around

the os's are all standard across the board, everything comes built in (you said yourself drivers were a bitch) - when you get a random laptop with windows OS they are all slightly different and require work, all macbooks are homogeneous and have everything set up without requiring all the shit u need to install

less worry about viruses and malware since they are less targeted

if you code or dev you will vastly prefer the tools available to macs (superior vm capabilities, unix based os, etc)

dunno if u know about kernel level shit (cuz i dont ;-) ) but u pay for stability and quality and consistency

they do cost more but they are worth the money - save up and buy a decent laptop one time

unless you are getting a laptop for gaming then dont get a mac but why would u get a laptop for gaming

HP Envy is good.
Alienware M11 gets crazy good reviews.

I have a 15" Sager (i forget the model number). It's almost 2 years old now but i spent like $1800 on it originally and it is a beast still. I love this thing. So much more reliable than the Dell laptop I had before. I highly recommend Sager notebooks.
agreed on Sager, my 5 year old Sager Laptop is only now starting to give me trouble. Since then I've been using it to game and at this point it's still handling SC2 on med settings.

Never had good experiences with toshibas, hps, or sonys. I do laptop repair, so I've seen a shitload of laptops and all their problems.

dells are pretty good, they have some issues but their warranty/repair services are better than most.

macbooks have some known problems as well, but you pay more upfront to avoid potential issues with slightly higher quality. don't let the warranty run out though, out of warranty repair on macbooks is ridiculously expensive.

So, unfortunately I missed the black friday deals since my refund didn't come in until today, but.. I'm buying a new one and I'm not sure whats good anymore. I used to own a beast of an Acer but the drivers were always a pain.

I'm just looking for something reliable and quick.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Durka durka muhammad jihad.

I've been looking at the new Asus Lappys that are out... not sure what everyones opinions are on asus laptops. I've been strictly dell laptops

good timing on this thread

i need a portable powerhouse

Most of the laptop on the market are designed by a handful of companies, Samsung, Asus, Acer, Foxconn (and affiliates), Compal, Quanta, Lenovo, etc. According to a 2006 report, Taiwan based firms control about 82% of the world laptop market. I don't know what is the latest but Taiwan firms should still controlling the majority, with Lenovo gaining on them, Samsung, not sure.

As a result, HP, Toshiba, etc. etc. are mostly just slapping their own logo, put in CPU, HDD, and memory and call the laptop their own. You need to open up your laptop to discover who the real original designer/company is. That's why so many laptops look similar because they are.

With that aside, I recommend Dell's support IF AND ONLY IF it's priority support. Don't mess with their script-driven normal Dell support, it's a waste of time, money, and aggrevate your frustration.

HP's support is not as good when things go wrong. Lenovo's support is pretty bad, it may take you 2-3 weeks from time to time to get what your laptop needs :( The upside is Lenovo laptop in general is one of the best in the industry (their higher end ones, such as T series, etc. not their el Cheapo trash). If you are looking for a good laptop, as defined in either your laptop break down chances are quite low, or if things break, you get the support you need quickly, just go with Dell or Lenovo. The others, not that much difference.

Your mileage may vary but I base this on my own and my extended family's experience as well as friends who are still in the IT fields and talking with the IT tech (who are contracted with Dell, HP, Toshiba, etc. etc. to come to my house and fix my laptop when things go wrong. They should not have any bias since they get the business no matter which company so I tend to trust their data on how fast they can get the parts they need, how frustrated they are at various computer's own support line. Warning, Dell's normal support, non-priority support line is pretty bad, you've been warned)

Back