Keys Spearfishing Trip [video]

Wow that felt like an underwater spear fishing FPS. Only missing a HUD and a reticle.

Damn, those were some big fish.

Do you ever feel a bit low on breath when you dive down, but see a perfect fish and shoot anyway, but then have to fight it up to the surface and feel all panicky about getting to air?

I feel like I would put myself in that situation a lot.

hay guys i have too much money and free time here is video #4567 showing this its way different than the others

It takes money to go spearfishing? Doesn't seem like it would be any more expensive than other outdoor hobbies that involve any kind of equipment really...

Do you ever feel a bit low on breath when you dive down, but see a perfect fish and shoot anyway, but then have to fight it up to the surface and feel all panicky about getting to air?

I feel like I would put myself in that situation a lot.

The reel lets out line so you don't have to fight it. You can put tension on it but yeah when you shoot fish, you get a bit excited and you use up a little bit of air. After a while doing it, you don't get so excited like the beginning.

It was 75ft on the first dive.

It takes money to go spearfishing? Doesn't seem like it would be any more expensive than other outdoor hobbies that involve any kind of equipment really...

My buddy had a timeshare through his boss. It was free to stay there. I used about 2 tanks of gas to trailer the boat. I burned about 40 gallons of fuel on the boat for 3 days. Divide that by 4 people and its not that much.

The reel lets out line so you don't have to fight it. You can put tension on it but yeah when you shoot fish, you get a bit excited and you use up a little bit of air. After a while doing it, you don't get so excited like the beginning.

It was 75ft on the first dive.

Sounds like fun ... I'd love to try it, but I damaged part of my inner ear and so I can't dive more than 10-15 feet now :(

I've never done anything more than simple snorkeling.

With that in mind, explain to me what is challenging about spearfishing?

Im not ragging on you, Im just wondering where the challenge is? On video it looks easy.

Im not ragging on you, Im just wondering where the challenge is? On video it looks easy.

I'm gonna go with the "fun" aspect there. Plus you know.. eating it.

Edit: I thought the cobia was a shark until they actually got it close :lol:

Last edited:

You ever freedive to 40ft and hang out there a bit? Its not easy to hang there and stalk the fish. Not being able to breath, changes everything you are doing.

Any kinda movement uses oxygen. Even your jaw muscles! You also have to equalize is something else you have to do while holding your breath.

No I don't think I've ever been deeper than like... Id say maybe 20 feet?

How long do you hang out under? I definitely see the fun aspect of it... just taking a boat out on a nice day and doing some fishing. Looks 10x more fun than regular fishing that's for sure. Just wondering where the challenges would be for a newb.

I go camping in the summer and the lake and rivers have lots of nice big fat catfish. Can I just get a speargun and get the bastards?

Boat + time + equipment = money.

It's basically the rich person equivalent of hanging out in a tree all day and shooting a deer as it gets a drink. Although it arguably takes even less skill to stab a massive fish slowly swimming along.

No I don't think I've ever been deeper than like... Id say maybe 20 feet?

How long do you hang out under? I definitely see the fun aspect of it... just taking a boat out on a nice day and doing some fishing. Looks 10x more fun than regular fishing that's for sure. Just wondering where the challenges would be for a newb.

I go camping in the summer and the lake and rivers have lots of nice big fat catfish. Can I just get a speargun and get the bastards?

20ft isnt very deep. I take no time to get back to the surface if you are in trouble. When you dive 75ft like i was during that dive, it takes a bit of time to get back up. So margin of error has to be much less the deeper you go. Yes, i know lots of people who spear catfish.

I stay under over 2 1/2 mins at 20ft. Starting out, you wont be able to get passed 30ft for a while and actually be useful.

Boat + time + equipment = money.

It's basically the rich person equivalent of hanging out in a tree all day and shooting a deer as it gets a drink. Although it arguably takes even less skill to stab a massive fish slowly swimming along.

Time? You spend every minute of your lonely sorry life on tribalwar.

Money? You don't have to have a boat to go spearfishing. You just pay gas for other peoples boats. Or you can dive from shore.

Equipment is cheap.

Back