i love the state of florida

the no income tax thing cracks me up....

you have 8-10% sales tax

we have 5-6% sales tax and 3% income tax

you do the math.....

Who pays 8-10%?

Orange County sales tax was 6% for the entire 23 years that I lived there.

7% in most of the counties here(NE FL)
I think it is set at 6% statewide, however individual counties can vote to raise it and keep the money for various projects.

We are getting a new courthouse, a new indoor arena, a new AA baseball field, and tons of road inprovements for our 1%

The majority of funds collected as a result of our lottery system entertain special interest projects. Blame our delightful politicians for our fucked up lottery system. Bright Futures doesn't even put a minuscule dent in the yearly profit of our lottery dividends.

Kimrari, I'd be willing to wager that these immigrants have a superior command of the English language as opposed to yourself.

Edit: It's 7% in Escambia county, Northwest Florida.

Dynamo said:
it's because so many people qualify for it that it's ridiculous. they pay for like 75% of instate tuition if you get a 970 SAT :lol:
I don't understand how that would be a problem. There were only like 80 ppl in my senior class of 400 or 500 or something (forget) that got over 1000.

Lot of dumb students in FL.

Jacksonville was like 7.5% sales tax I think. And property tax, I think I remember my dad mentioning. But yeah, no income tax. Probably a wash, though.

New Hampshire has NO sales tax. Which is pretty nice.

Jacksonville was dumb. Downtown is like 2 tall buildings, a hooters, and then ghetto.. And all the nice areas try to make sure they are at least 15 minutes south of it, on the water.

Massive waste of land, with an overabundance of one-story strip malls. Shitty "real" malls (orange park and avenues are ok, nothing special). Sure, if you live right at the beach it's ok, but the city is so damn big that odds are you don't.

Very little diversity in peoples' interests (anyone I met, anyway; a few exceptions of course). Generally, very little to do in the city, considering how "big" it is. Or at least, how big they "think" it is.. (after they got the Jaguars, they considered themselves a kickass major US city, even though it's still basically a big AT&T telemarketing callcenter).

St. Augustine, however, is gorgeous, and I love it. If I could have a second home, that's one place on the top-10 list of where I'd consider putting it.

Oh, and boca raton has some of the shittiest traffic I've ever seen. In fact, so did Jacksonville. Traffic in FL cities is horrible. Sure, it's probably even worse here in Boston, but there's just some weird feeling of desolation, sitting on those FL boulevards, surrounded by walmarts', chilis', and winn dixies'.. I don't like it. It's like watching a looping video clip of scenery that is only 5 seconds long. Too much repetition.

kimrari said:
except for the millions of immigrants that no spekaie english

the old people that drive on the wrong side of the highway

the hurricanes that threaten us every year

the flooding that occurs due to the rain every hurrucan season

the bugs that get bigger hear then anywhere else becuz its warm all year long

the illegals that show up on the beach and have 100 different 'cousins' claiming them as kin to get governement aide

a public school system, that, even with proceeds from a state run lottery still fails

but we have no state taxes and no counry/city taxes.

yay!

Looks like Floridians also have no idea how to spell either.

and you "get" to have the Daytona 500...

but you also get all the fine bitches in south beach and all the spring breakers ready to fuck every spring...

Im flyin to FL at the end of the week...live in Tennessee now. Born and raised in texas....wonderin how different things will be. Ive never seen a palm tree.

Sigma8 said:
Oh, and boca raton has some of the shittiest traffic I've ever seen. In fact, so did Jacksonville. Traffic in FL cities is horrible. Sure, it's probably even worse here in Boston, but there's just some weird feeling of desolation, sitting on those FL boulevards, surrounded by walmarts', chilis', and winn dixies'.. I don't like it. It's like watching a looping video clip of scenery that is only 5 seconds long. Too much repetition.
1000 is around the national average, FL I think is around 980. The point is that anyone who is actually capable of graduating college should have no problem getting a 970, which means about 95% of instate students have at least 75% tuition scholariships.

Dynamo said:
1000 is around the national average, FL I think is around 980. The point is that anyone who is actually capable of graduating college should have no problem getting a 970, which means about 95% of instate students have at least 75% tuition scholariships.
I have to wonder about that.. maybe FL has 1000 kids with 1600's and the rest have 800. Or something. Or maybe Duval county is more problematic compared to many in the state.. Breaking 970 seemed like a reasonable level to offer some instate money.

Ah, of course, this was probably set before they curved the SATs a bit higher about 6 years ago or so. Maybe they just need to bump the minimum up about 100 points. Problem solved!

Yankee said:
the no income tax thing cracks me up....

you have 8-10% sales tax

we have 5-6% sales tax and 3% income tax

you do the math.....
ugh...I hate WA. the 3 most populated counties have 8.8%, the rest of the state has 8.5%.

They're building a multi-million dollar light rail transit system to go from tacoma to seattle, but they're doing it the wrong way, so costs double or triple.

Meanwhile, we can barely afford our cops and fire depts, but we've had 4 new museums go up in the last year.

Back