Help me choose a motorcycle

amRam said:
The bikes you listed within those certain years have had DRASTIC changes done on them.

A 99 R6 isn't even close to a 2003... a 1998 CBR600 not even close to a 2003 600RR... you get the point.

Anyway, a 600 shouldn't be too much for a new rider to start on. Plenty of people do it and they're fine.

Im not even gonna begin to compare all the models and different generations... you've listed just about every sportbike from the last 8 years, might wanna narrow it down a bit.

That's the thing, I'm not completely familiar with all the changes in all the bikes over every year. I know as the years have gone on R6's have become more and more drag bikes and inforrmation like that.

I didn't want to narrow it down too much because there's always the possibility that three months from now I'll see for sale a 2000 R6 for $4000, then a 2003 R6 for $4500(just making up numbers here). Obviously I would get the 2003 one, so I don't want to limit myself out of certain years.

Realistically, I'm looking at any of those bikes from 2000 to 2003 pretty much. Still doesn't narrow it down, but It'll give me more options when the time comes.

Stilgar said:
Jasp...learn to pull stoppies at the lights.
Always gets a 'wow' outta me.

That and wheelies are the two things I'm never even going to make an effort or attempt at. I've been reading some bike forums, and there's actually a lot of riders that have the same view - they think it's retarded and would never try one, even after riding for 5-10 years..

I can't speak for anyone else but I can't imagine not having control of any motor vehicle. Call me an arrogant redneck, but I haven't ever operated a motored vehicle sober that I couldn't control since I was 10. But I also can't imagine being so stupid as to risk death for a thrill like urban speeding, taking turns too fast, 100 mph wheelies or getting on it on roads you don't know. What I'm trying to say is that when you ride, only truly stupid people do not respect the power of a good bike. And only physically handicapped people can't exercise proper coordination in their wrist. And only a person void of adrenaline wouldn't want to crack it open to the brink of what you're comfortable with on a safe and open road. Why not have all the power you can afford? I have ridden dirt all my young life but I bought my first streetbike 3 years ago and have since sold it. I regretted settling for a 750 when I knew I wanted a 1000+. I told myself it would be safer and less expensive. I regretted it about 3 days later when I was dissappointed with the power. The kind of power I had dreamed of owning all my life just wasn't there. I could get to 100+ but it took too long and was kinda boring. I was never scared going 100+ on an open road in good weather with a helmet on. That is what the bike is made to do. But I got scared on a daily basis and eventually sold it because I couldn't handle the constant anxiety of riding it around all the morons on the road who don't see you. The danger of a bike isn't in the power, but in the idiots around you. I kid you not, someone would switch lanes into me or pull out in front of me alost every time I rode. And yes, I obeyed every traffic law and rode very safe when in any kind of traffic. You almost get used to it, but not really. Only complete idiots who don't know how to ride, or who are just plain adrenaline freaks to the point of being stupid, or who ride while on a substance, or who do not properly maintain their bikes die by wrecking on their own. But no one is immune to Mildred's new cataract or Buffy on her cell phone. Let me also say that I am only referring to riding a properly engineered and maintained motorcycle with speed and handling intended in the forefront of it's design. I would never own a chopper or a harley because that is another big strike against you when trying to avoid some of these asses on the road. Those things are overweight two wheeled lawnmowers meant for dudes who want to dress gay and make noise, not properly negotiate hairy situations or stop on a dime.

My suggestion to anyone getting a sportbike is to spend at least a year on a motorcross/dirt bike first to really learn how to ride on two wheels and then take a street safety class to learn how to deal with the idiots and then purchase as big a bike as you can handle physically/financially and ALWAYS wear a helmet. When the road is open, hammer it and enjoy the thrill, but when in a residential area or in any kind of traffic, obey the law for your own good, cause people are blind to motorcycles sometimes...

Good luck and take time to shop around for insurance. There is a very wide variety of costs and coverages. Go to a reputable agent that sells several companies and he will find the right one for you. Don't just use the same company you have your car with or who advertises alot. There are companies who are motorcycle oriented and usually they are the cheaper/better choice.

thumb_1,212_0.jpg

all the bike you will need

not built simply for speed, great all around bike

if you get a 600 YOU will grow out of it in about a year

Trusk|llz said:
thumb_1,212_0.jpg

all the bike you will need

not built simply for speed, great all around bike

if you get a 600 YOU will grow out of it in about a year

You're kidding right? A modern 600 will absolutely blow the fucking wheels off of that Ducati, in EVERY department, end of discussion. If he grows out of a 600 in one year, he'll grow out of that 800 in 3 weeks.

Jasp said:
I know as the years have gone on R6's have become more and more drag bikes and inforrmation like that.

Im not sure what you mean by that. Modern 600s and 1000s are becoming more and more race oriented every single year... they're getting higher revving engines, better suspension and brakes, and lighter components. "Drag" and "600/1000 supersport" do not belong in the same sentence together. They're so far from becoming drag bikes it's not even funny. If anything, they're going the opposite route by becomng more nimble and less stable at high speed. They walk a very fine line in that department.

The R6 was always known to be the quickest turning least stable 600 on the market. They've made major improvements in '05 and now with the '06, but the previous years don't come with a damper and have a really aggressive rake and trail... they corner fast as fuck, but they're not stable while doing it. GSXR are kind of on the opposite spectrum, they take a little more muscle to turn in, but they hold the line beautifully and are extremely stable.. I've only had one slight wobble on my GSXR1000 (and never on my GSXR600) but that was at the track, cresting a hill while still turning.... if I was on an R6 I'm fairly sure that would've been my demise.

Anyway, go sit on some used bikes and see what fits and looks the best to you.... and buy that one. They're all extremely close in each class.

i'd agree with the early 90's model cbr and then upgrading

i rode a 98 cbr f3 for a year and i just purchased an 05 r6 a month ago.

get some miles under your belt before you hurt yourself

Daredevil said:
i'd agree with the early 90's model cbr and then upgrading

i rode a 98 cbr f3 for a year and i just purchased an 05 r6 a month ago.

get some miles under your belt before you hurt yourself

When you got your '05 were you aware of the 06 redesign?

for the peopel who think you will Grow out of a 600 in a year.... i garuntee you that you are no where near riding at the level that the bike can handle.

99% of the population can't ride at the level that the bike can handle.

amRam said:
When you got your '05 were you aware of the 06 redesign?

yes, i was, but otd they are 10.5G's in CA if you are lucky

and i got my 05 with less than 100 miles on it for 6500 dollars...

can't complain about that :D

Cool, good stuff... the '05 is solid, even though I dislike all R6s in general.

The only thing that impresses me about Honda is the brakes. They're good on every one of their bikes.

I still prefer Suzuki overall. For a track bike I'd have a toss-up between 600RR and GSXR600.

Back