Help me choose a motorcycle

Jasp

Veteran XV
So I'm bored with the Trans Am, 11 second cars just aren't doing it for me anymore. I've been wanting a bike ever since I was about 15, and I finally decided to act on it. I started saving up a month ago a good amount from each paycheck, and in two more months I should have $6000 in my bike fund.

I probably don't want anything higher than a 600 or 750 right now, for my own sanity. My brother got a green '99 Ninja ZX6R some months ago, which would have been one of the most likely bikes to get, but I don't want to get the same thing as him now.

Here are my current options, and let me know if there are any more in the same category:

1998-2004 Suzuki GSX-R:

20333_0_1_2_gsx-r%20600_Image%20credits%20-%20The%20respective%20copyright%20holder%20or%20manufacturer.jpg

1998-2004 Yamaha R6:

2003-Yamaha-YZF-R6-blue-A-640.jpeg

1998-2004 Yamaha R1(not likely though):

2004-yam-r1-01-3.jpg

1998-2004 Honda CBR600:

CBR600RR_Red_RHF_Studio_700p.jpg

1998-2004 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R:

ZX6red12.jpg

I'm not very familiar with all the pros and cons of each. I know the R1 is in a different class, but if there's one for a good enough price when I have the money, I don't see why I wouldn't go ahead and get it. I also know there's probably more CBR and Ninja models, so a couple of those could be considered as well.

Whatever I like best and is available about two-three months from now, I think I'll get for my first bike.

Discuss.

My friend just got an 03 GSXR, it's fucking clean and fast. I'm looking at a 2000 R6 right, blue and white. Most of those bikes you posted are sick. I don't like the ninjas that much though.

Bean said:
a 600 is pushing it for someone who's never had a bike before

I know how to ride - I can ride my brother's bike.

I hear that a lot, but my brother got a ZX6R without having any riding experience and has been fine. My friend jeff got two(2) 2005 R6's without having any riding experience(one is for street, one is completely all out track bike) and hasn't had any problems. My friend ed got a 2006 GSX-R witout any riding experience, and has been fine(one minor rear-end incident), and my friend Pero got a 2006 Ninja 636 without any previous experience without problem. Those are just some examples, and those are just in the past 6 months or so.

Basically, I don't know anyone with a good head on their shoulders and some common sense that has actually had any issues with getting a decent first bike

edit: just noticed I posted a Ninja 636 and not a ZX6R, oh well, they look almost the same.

Jasp said:
I know how to ride - I can ride my brother's bike.

I hear that a lot, but my brother got a ZX6R without having any riding experience and has been fine. My friend jeff got two(2) 2005 R6's without having any riding experience(one is for street, one is completely all out track bike) and hasn't had any problems. My friend ed got a 2006 GSX-R witout any riding experience, and has been fine(one minor rear-end incident), and my friend Pero got a 2006 Ninja 636 without any previous experience without problem. Those are just some examples, and those are just in the past 6 months or so.

Basically, I don't know anyone with a good head on their shoulders and some common sense that has actually had any issues with getting a decent first bike

edit: just noticed I posted a Ninja 636 and not a ZX6R, oh well, they look almost the same.

if you go around back of most bike shops to the garage, you'll usually find a whole line of 600's with one side shaved off of them. Purchased new as a first bike by guys who were pretty sure they knew how to ride them.

600s are brutal fast these days. What they dont have in hp they make up for in gearing

jeezus christ you kids are dumb. I have a Vstrom DL1000 and the stoopidest thing you can say is "im an expert on bikes, you need to get atleast 1000 cc or you will grow out of it too fast". you will just kill yourself quicker. take a bike safety course before you even buy a bike, or as soon as possible after. buy no more than you can SAFELY deal with.

fatalerror said:
jeezus christ you kids are dumb. I have a Vstrom DL1000 and the stoopidest thing you can say is "im an expert on bikes, you need to get atleast 1000 cc or you will grow out of it too fast". you will just kill yourself quicker. take a bike safety course before you even buy a bike, or as soon as possible after. buy no more than you can SAFELY deal with.

stop being a pussy, you pussy

one thing i have found true about motorcycles. As soon as you stop respecting the power and speed, you'll lay it down.

Wrathchild said:
I wrecked on a moped when I was like 12, and even that wasn't fun.
probably didnt know which hurt most...the asphalt in your skin or everyone that saw you knowing you just dumped a moped

Luckily it was in an empty parking lot near my house, so no one saw :lol:

All it took was a single acorn. I was probably going about 10 mph and the road rash was horrible. I don't even want to think of it at 50mph+

Animo said:
ive dumped a few 1000 ccers, i just get right back up and buy a new one
no you dont. you dont have any money. i'm betting you work a 9-5...and a low paying one at that.

Back