Help: Computer rebooting on it's own.

SuperSlug

Contributor
Veteran X
Whenever I have been doing normal activities, my computer has been rebooting. What are possible causes of this? The last time this happened I had a bad stick of ram, but I'm pretty sure my ram is okay at the moment.

Random rebootings are a feature of all Microsoft products.

This prevents the chance that your PC will stay on indefinately, harming the environment.

Any attempt to disable this standard feature will result in an animated GIF of Bill Gates' head with devil horns laughing at you.

i had this problem

my video card turned out to be fried :(

it could be p/s, trojan, mobo, or hd...maybe format + reinstalling the os would work

first, goto control panel->system->advanced->start up and recovery settings->UNCHECK automatic restart.

run your system and see if it still does the rebooting thing.

I'm giving up for the night. I'm running scandisk and diskffragmenter on it to see if that might help at all. The last thing I want to do is format, but I might end up having to do that.

invar said:
first, goto control panel->system->advanced->start up and recovery settings->UNCHECK automatic restart.

run your system and see if it still does the rebooting thing.
DO THIS

Cannot at the moment, at my parents house where a computer works. Doing that will just not make my computer automatically reboot, correct?

well, if it's windows rebooting your system, at least you'll see an error message and we can start troubleshooting.

this'll tell you whether or not it's your hardware causing a spontaneous reboot or if it's software crapping out.

Back