Have about 15-20k to invest..

if you want to invest anything under 100k is kind of pointless. Put into some kind of treasury bond or it will diminish in value.

Inflation. I get the feeling the OP wants to invest and forget. You know from experience especially in our current situation you have to watch the market and be guided by a gut instinct to know when to cash in.

Seems like a more short term investment, but if this guy wants to invest his money over a couple years, about the only thing insured in our current market is the treasury bond itself isn't it?

And in order to gain in the short term, you have to invest massive amounts of cash, right? But if you're dealing with short term, maybe 20k, you can't expect to gain much. Unless you are a market guru, and I hardly think looking at the future inflation there is much gain to be made

did I have too many wobbly pops? :)

does this translate out of canadian to something reasonable?

my gut tells me to put the money into the securest place it can go. You don't borrow a couple trillion dollars against nothing, and so far Obama hasn't proven too effective at making that money work.

Of course you won't make as much money if you invest 20k instead of 100k

You won't lose as much either

He doesn't want "insured" things, he wants to put it on the market, and said in his first post he can accept risk

Inflation. I get the feeling the OP wants to invest and forget. You know from experience especially in our current situation you have to watch the market and be guided by a gut instinct to know when to cash in.

Seems like a more short term investment, but if this guy wants to invest his money over a couple years, about the only thing insured in our current market is the treasury bond itself isn't it?

And in order to gain in the short term, you have to invest massive amounts of cash, right? But if you're dealing with short term, maybe 20k, you can't expect to gain much. Unless you are a market guru, and I hardly think looking at the future inflation there is much gain to be made

did I have too many wobbly pops? :)
In times of high inflation, the absolute last place you would want to be is in bonds. In Canada, you have numerous trust entities designed to pay out sizable dividends with minimal tax impact. If I was a Canadian, I'd be more heavily invested in your royalty trusts. Right now many are yielding over 10%. Compare that to your countries T-bills ....

well, I'd never invest in the markets, at least the American ones. It's another man's game, and the money is only worth what you make it worth. So you get 25k out of it? what then? reinvest it? leave it in there?

You must not understand that there's really no places left to invest money. The key words today are market share, and American corporations have lost it. The only company that still has market share really is Microsoft, the rest of them are losing business steadily to Asian markets who are somehow able to offer cheaper product to the end user despite all that over head.

No. Leave the system alone, it's f*cked. There's no bubbles left, at least right now, and I suspect for a long time. Anything you do gain in won't be by much.

In times of high inflation, the absolute last place you would want to be is in bonds. In Canada, you have numerous trust entities designed to pay out sizable dividends with minimal tax impact. If I was a Canadian, I'd be more heavily invested in your royalty trusts. Right now many are yielding over 10%. Compare that to your countries T-bills ....

that may be, I just don't see any point in investing into anything stateside, no offense, but the American economy isn't looking that tempting.

I personally keep reasonable savings and the rest goes into assets. Assets! I won't trust anyone else with my money, a land title will do for me. I suspect things are going to get worse.

the thing that gets me is no matter what kind of interest rate you tack on to your funds, the dollar is in a free fall and in the long term you're not helping anyone but the banks/government.

they don't want short term investors, long term investors are what make them strong and attact new investments

I'm not even Jewish and I know this

Where should I do it? I have some ideas, no I'm not pulling an Akuma and coming here for financial advice (nor am i bragging about how much money i have, i know its not that much to invest), just curious to see some of your thoughts.

note, im not averse to some level of risk

cds, stocks, bonds, iras?

check out HEB. It's about to pop, waiting on FDA approval for Ampligen, which could come any day. It's just under $3 right now, but Monday it will be listed on the Russell 3000, meaning institutional investors will probably start jumping in. It's been trading at about 12M / 13M shares daily for a while, and today in the last minute of trading, an order came through for 7.5M shares. It pushed the price from 2.68 to 2.85 in a few seconds. Probably one of the big fish jumping the gun on Monday's listing. I'm in for 25k shares (bought when it was less than $1). Estimates for post approval pps is $20-$25. If I can unload at $25, I'm going on vacay :)

if approval doesn't come, it will sink back to about .50

Rayn what you need to do is tell us how you managed to do business profitably in this climate, then maybe someone will have the guts to try it for themselves.

here's a question: Why do you need the money? Why do you even expect it to grow. You know the smartest people invest in small business, because the best way to gain a return is to put your own time into that interest return. The advantage is to be your own boss, and maybe even get rich, but usually it's because you have a passion for a particular thing.

If you're going to be just like everyone else who has 10-20k to invest, you may as well have 2 dollars, because against what everyone else has invested, it won't be worth much when it comes down to it. I've said it before and say it again, give it to the church and you'll reap spiritual benefit not just natural benefit, we all have jobs, what more do we need. An investment isn't going to get you out of a job, at least not 10-20k.

and without a job or some kind of work to keep yourself busy, you'll be like fraggle, lost and hopeless. Better to do what you have a passion for.

Back