Hard drive starts clickin, comp freezes

Atrocious said:
well as of right now, nothing is happening, it freezes on the screen where it check memory and tells me what proc i have, same screen to get into bios.

the hard drive is set to cable select, and its the primary master. DVD rom is secondary master and CD burner is secondary slave.

i tried switchin out the ram, and same thing happens. so not a memory problem.
That's pretty odd. Did you shock your computer when you were removing the hard drive? And did you turn off the powersupply by the back switch and/or unplugging it if it doesn't have a switch? These sound like two, pretty unrelated events, and that's the only connection I can make.

Ixiterra said:
That's pretty odd. Did you shock your computer when you were removing the hard drive? And did you turn off the powersupply by the back switch and/or unplugging it if it doesn't have a switch? These sound like two, pretty unrelated events, and that's the only connection I can make.

yes i was very careful, turning the switch off and unplugging the power.

Atrocious said:
yes i was very careful, turning the switch off and unplugging the power.
:shrug: Like I said, they're unrelated, so something else must have gone wrong. I think I remember someone flashing their BIOS to fix a similar problem, I suppose you could try that. Or possibly taking the battery out or just using the reset CMOS jumper and see if that helps any.

Ixiterra said:
:shrug: Like I said, they're unrelated, so something else must have gone wrong. I think I remember someone flashing their BIOS to fix a similar problem, I suppose you could try that. Or possibly taking the battery out or just using the reset CMOS jumper and see if that helps any.

alright, i replaced the ribbon cable to the hard drive and its stopped freezing now, so im back to the error loading operating system screen.

i tested the "good" maxtor and im able to access it in my other comp.

i took the battery out to reset cmos. no good.

setup is still, DVD pri master CD-RW pri slave MAXTOR sec master.

boot orders i have tried goes like this:
HDD-0
CD
SCSI

HDD-1
CD
SCSI

HDD-2
CD
SCSI

Back