Ok first i'll start out with my specs.

Athlon XP 3200+
gig samsung pc3200
120 gig WD hdd
160 gig maxtor hdd
asus a78nx2.0 deluxe mobo
9800 pro 128
windows XP home sp2

I was defragging my 120 gig western digital and then at about 10% i hear these loud CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK about 10 times and my comp freezes.

i reboot and get stuck at a screen that tells me it can't find media and check the cables. then tells me to insert a boot disk.

i open up the comp and check everything out, looks good.

same thing happens on next boot.

i take out both hard drives and put them into another comp. Both are recongized but only the maxtor is able to be allocated and given a number.

so i figure my western digital just went kaput and i put my maxtor in and boot up with my windows cd, and it just freezes just after POST at the screen where it tells me my processor and check my ram.

i have no idea what to do at this point. Please help tw? thanks in advance.

hm.

make sure you've installed the maxtor correcty:
do you have the jumper set to master or cable select? are you using the master end of the IDE cable?
did you have the psu powered off when you started unplugging/plugging stuff??

you could try giving boot priority to your cdrom in BIOS

try clearing the CMOS.
after you reset it, try getting things working with only one stick of ram in dimm1

Last edited:
i used cable select and im now able to get into the setup, delete a partition and create a new one, but after installation i get "unable to load operating system"

Atrocious said:
i used cable select and im now able to get into the setup, delete a partition and create a new one, but after installation i get "unable to load operating system"

is your boot order set right, now that you've installed the OS?

Last edited:
since the defrag was interupted there is a good chance that there are corrupt files. From the looks of it they are necissary OS files.

Before fooling around though I would backup any and all data that you don't want to loose to another computer/HDD.

The clicking may be a result of drive failure.

As covered earlier it may be improper configuration of cables/jumpers.

Drives should be set to CS/Cable Select, using 80pin cables (thin wires). Blue end to motherboard, other end to Main HDD, and Secondary Drive in the middle. Back-up your data first though.

Atrocious said:
The only thing I can think of is that the Maxtor is still coming up as HD1 when the BIOS is looking for an OS on HD0. Check the BIOS settings and make sure that it is set to boot from whichever spot the Maxtor is on.

And, for future reference, you did not need to delete the partition to install Windows. You deleted everything for no good reason.

Cable select is great, when it works. I suggest trying to manually jumper your drivers to master/slave and see what happens.

Also, click-click-click is very bad.

omfg are you people retarted?! THE HARD DRIVE IS DEAD! There is no reason a hard drive would EVER make clicking noises unless something was seriously mechanically wrong with it!

A.K.A. ITS DEAD!

What to do now?: RMA that sucker if its still under the manufacturers warranty. Have a nice day.

MajorChaos said:
omfg are you people retarted?! THE HARD DRIVE IS DEAD! There is no reason a hard drive would EVER make clicking noises unless something was seriously mechanically wrong with it!

A.K.A. ITS DEAD!

What to do now?: RMA that sucker if its still under the manufacturers warranty. Have a nice day.

yes, its already been established that the WD is dead.

but now he's having problems getting wXP set up on his Maxtor. thats the problem at hand...

Ixiterra said:
The only thing I can think of is that the Maxtor is still coming up as HD1 when the BIOS is looking for an OS on HD0. Check the BIOS settings and make sure that it is set to boot from whichever spot the Maxtor is on.

And, for future reference, you did not need to delete the partition to install Windows. You deleted everything for no good reason.

there wasnt anything important on the maxtor, and the western digital is dead, so my stuff is gone anyway. no big deal. i think your on to something with the bios lookin for HD0. ill see about that

Atrocious said:
so i figure my western digital just went kaput

PunkRocKEVin said:
yes, its already been established that the WD is dead.

but now he's having problems getting wXP set up on his Maxtor. thats the problem at hand...

iNVAR said:
when your drive clicks, it's broken or very close to it.

have any ideas on why my puter isnt booting with a good hard drive? because thats the topic

Atrocious said:
have any ideas on why my puter isnt booting with a good hard drive? because thats the topic

if its the clickity clackity one then its because its DEAD!!!

if you replaced it... then hmmm. sata or ide?

Atrocious said:
there wasnt anything important on the maxtor, and the western digital is dead, so my stuff is gone anyway. no big deal. i think your on to something with the bios lookin for HD0. ill see about that

this did not solve my problem

Atrocious said:
this did not solve my problem
More information would be nice. AFAIK "unable to load operating system" isn't even a BIOS error, it's "system disk not found." So how about telling us exactly what is happening if you want some help.

And god damn can any of you fuckers read?

Ixiterra said:
More information would be nice. AFAIK "unable to load operating system" isn't even a BIOS error, it's "system disk not found." So how about telling us exactly what is happening if you want some help.

And god damn can any of you fuckers read?

well as of right now, nothing is happening, it freezes on the screen where it check memory and tells me what proc i have, same screen to get into bios.

the hard drive is set to cable select, and its the primary master. DVD rom is secondary master and CD burner is secondary slave.

i tried switchin out the ram, and same thing happens. so not a memory problem.

it freezes or it just takes a long time? disconnect everything except the bare essentials, remove all your pci cards.

Back