Gear heads, I wanna add some muscle to my car.

Psychosis said:
No offense, but if you are going to invest $ in a car, start with something besides a frigging stratus. Seriously.

Why? I don't wanna be one of the billion plus people out there with a riced up Honda. I also don't wanna drive around a huge V8. I want something thats different and unexpected.

well i just think there's probably a better route to go than that to squeeze out some more performance from your car, but i guess a 126HP gain is pretty substantial... i dunno, to each his own :)

oh yeah, oktane, i looked around, you're probably right, a 25% loss for a fwd is a bit much. :)

The car is fairly quick for a stock v6. But I want the feel my buddy has in his Audi S4. That thing is friggin fun to drive. I do have to admit my car handles like shit and after I add this kit(if I do) I need to do some suspension work.

|vm| said:
and it's what he has, why should he go buy another car just for a better mod

Exactly. Even if I did run out and get a car thats easier to mod I would end up spending more money because of how much I owe on this thing versus how much I would get for selling it.

I would be doing this shit about the same time my warranty would be going out so I figured it would be a nice time to play around with it. :)

I have seen a Stratus R/T up close, they are very mean looking cars actually. However, this is probably as much as you can do, barring some type of drivetrain swap, or nitrous. If you go s/c and nitrous, you are getting into the area of putting money in your engine about once a month. If all it gets you is mid-14's (or flat 14's with NOS), you will not be able to hang with many stock cars, and those with mods will leave you behind. I would tend to agree that finding a different starting point would be wise. However, if you really love your car, like I assume you do, go for it.
That being said, I have to agree that with what most of the people here are saying, mid-14's is not fast at all.

doc, have you looked at asog.net?

its an avenger/sebring owners group.. but they have stuff on the stratus also..

alot of it's american rice, but there are performance guys in there also.

The problem will be traction, it's FWD which is the one reason I wouldn't even bother. But if you're dead set on trying to make it fast, this is probably one of the better ways to go. You could make more power with a turbo, and I doubt that it would be much more expensive ($4K for a blower kit is pretty steep) but the way that power comes on in a turbo car can make for even bigger traction issues on a heavy (relatively) FWD car like that.

If you think it's quick now you will probably like the blower alot, but it's not gona be fast in the real world. You will be right arround the power level that the V8's are making stock (New Mustang GT is at 260 while the cobra is at 390 and the mach I is at 305) and they don't have the FWD handicap to deal with.

i'm sorta in the same boat.. i own an avenger.. it looks nice, but is slow as hell. Personally i dont care if i can outrun mustangs, or even outrun riced civics, i just want the car to be more fun to drive.

werd. according to carpoint, that thing weighs in ~ 3200lbs. itd make a good sleeper project, and i think the stratus has a pretty decent body. i got to drive one, nice and comfy. so to answer some questions..
do you guys think its worth the cost
no.
what would you think if I pulled up to you (say you are driving a stock camaro ss or a mustang gt) and I wanted to go ... Would you think of me as easy prey?
yes.
They drive the Honda's that look like shit and even have some rust on them but when they pull off the line they get moving in a hurry.
its probably cuz they weigh in about 1000lbs less :)

it looks like a fun sc to install, being just a "bolt on." good to hear you have connections to help with it. if you really think you have the patience and $$, go for it.

me? if you really wanted to go out there and school some hondas, drop your weight and get juice :D

If a Stratus R/T pulled up next to me, wanted to race, and then hung in there real close, it would earn my respect for sure.

./me waits for The Fast and the Furious quotes...

31073 said:
i'm sorta in the same boat.. i own an avenger.. it looks nice, but is slow as hell. Personally i dont care if i can outrun mustangs, or even outrun riced civics, i just want the car to be more fun to drive.

Those cars are utter shit. They have the cheapest mitsu parts ever thrown into them.

The thing you will have to keep in mind is that you will be producing quite a bit more power. the transmissions on the dodge/mitsu cars are known to be utter pieces of shit.

i would add a single turbo setup, probably around the same price- more psi, more hp.

Not trying to diss your car- but they aren't made very well.

Do you have the 2.5L v6 or 2.0 I4?

I'd say the safest car is the 2.9 I4/ Standard Transmission setup.

There are so many problems that frequent that line of car it isnt funny. And they are dirt slow.

The Stratus V6 is realtively peppy to begin with for a heavy car. The kit isn't THAT badly overpriced and it looks like a good one so I agree if you have the cash and you like the car you own then go for it!

I'd suggest you add a functional ram air induction system to it to though. Not sure if they have one for stratus but i'm guessing they would. Adds a few extra horses and will give you a little less "stock" look.

*edit - Hey doc check this link out

http://www.walktheedge.org/

Last edited:
Boomerman said:
I'd suggest you add a functional ram air induction system to it to though. Not sure if they have one for stratus but i'm guessing they would. Adds a few extra horses and will give you a little less "stock" look.

Which is exactly what he isn't looking for. Great job.

Back