fps drop in retail

wetwilly

Veteran XV
in demo/beta the game would be flawlessly smoothe for me, but now every time i look in the direction of the most action it becomes rediculously choppy
is this known or is there any fixes/posts about it
radeon 9600 pro
ATHLON XP 2800+
ABIT NF7-S
512 ddr

I'm guessing it's a combination of the non-beta maps being un-optimized (I get 70+ fps on all the demo maps... and hardly get above 35 on most of the "new" retail maps), and a big memory leak somewhere (played through a full rotation of maps on server, starting with Cavern at around 70 fps... when cavern came back around the second time I was hitting 22 fps).

The only thing that's worked for me is to regularly re-boot. :/

-Half

wetwilly said:
in demo/beta the game would be flawlessly smoothe for me, but now every time i look in the direction of the most action it becomes rediculously choppy
is this known or is there any fixes/posts about it
radeon 9600 pro
ATHLON XP 2800+
ABIT NF7-S
512 ddr

I have this same problem. Beta and demos are great. I find that if I knock Textures down to High instead of Ultra High I can play most maps. However some single player missions (the big outdoor ones) are completely unplayable. I hope this isn't the case as well with big MP maps.

Halfscan said:
I'm guessing it's a combination of the non-beta maps being un-optimized (I get 70+ fps on all the demo maps... and hardly get above 35 on most of the "new" retail maps), and a big memory leak somewhere (played through a full rotation of maps on server, starting with Cavern at around 70 fps... when cavern came back around the second time I was hitting 22 fps).

The only thing that's worked for me is to regularly re-boot. :/

-Half

This seems like something that is happening to me too. It's fine for awhile but steadily the performance keeps dropping.

I made a video of my experiences. Seems that Multi is affected as well.

It was playing fine and then suddenly when I'd look in a certain direction my FPS would just die. If I looked out away from everything it would come back, but it's like there is this FPS dead zone that just kills my machine.

AMD 3400+ 64
ATI 9800 Pro
WinXP
1GB RAM

http://www.fscnation.com/~sudsaroo/TV-Mem_Leak.avi

Sudsaroo said:

It was playing fine and then suddenly when I'd look in a certain direction my FPS would just die. If I looked out away from everything it would come back, but it's like there is this FPS dead zone that just kills my machine.

AMD 3400+ 64
ATI 9800 Pro
WinXP
1GB RAM

Ive NEVER had that problem on that map or any map for that matter.

AMD 3000+ barton
Gf4 4200ti 64mb
WinXP
512mb ram

:p

Sudsaroo said:

AMD 3400+ 64
ATI 9800 Pro
WinXP
1GB RAM

what resolution and settings is that recorded at? Also was that done with fraps?

Done with Fraps.

I ran it at 1280x768 but I have the same problems at 1024x768.

I have everything at Ultra High except for Textures at High. If I put Textures to Ultra High my FPS dies (like 1FPS) all the time, this never used to happen with the beta or SP Demo.

Sudsaroo said:
Done with Fraps.

I ran it at 1280x768 but I have the same problems at 1024x768.

I have everything at Ultra High except for Textures at High. If I put Textures to Ultra High my FPS dies (like 1FPS) all the time, this never used to happen with the beta or SP Demo.

I just loaded up the game and went to the same place. At 1024x768/Ultra-high cept for textures looking at the wall with the face I get 53-55 fps. Looking towards the conquerable spawn I get 39-41 fps. Seems about right seeing as looking towards the spawn theres a lot more being drawn. You can check with 'stat render'.

Do you have AA and AF on as well?

XP 2500+ @ 3200 speeds
Radeon 9600 Pro
768 MB PC3200

No AA or AF on.

This isn't the only place this happens, it's just one I happend to record for the video. It happens quite frequently in Single Player.

I'm having the EXACT same thing happening. I also have 512MB Ram and Radeon 9800 Pro (ATI Brand Card.) I don't have anything overclocked and system running cool.

I don't know what has been added (or adjusted) but my MP play is basically pointless.

My demo experience was much better than this - it wasn't perfect due to CtD from time to time...but definately better.

Sudsaroo said:
No AA or AF on.

This isn't the only place this happens, it's just one I happend to record for the video. It happens quite frequently in Single Player.

*scratches head* I dunno man.. confusing as to what could have changed to cause such a big diff on different systems. I'm using 4.8 catalysts though. Might want to try those... its worth a shot.

Yea I am having major fps problems with T:V as well. All my other games run perfect(i.e Doom 3, Far Cry) I've tryed everything from updating nforce drivers and reinstalling other video card drivers, disabling anti-virus when I play. I haven't tried to turn off fast-writes yet but that is the only other thing I can think of to try and fix this game. Its driving me nutws cause all I want to do is play T:V...

There is a memory leak on mine also, when I exit T:V it is so slow to close and bring back my desktop.

my specs are as follows:
amd xp 3000
1 Gb of ram
bfg 6800 gt
WinXP

Last edited:
I know im not the only one that is having problems with this game. This should be brought up to the Dev's. I play doom 3 with ultra quality 4 aa and 8 af and i never have problems. All other games works whats up with T:V?

Perhaps we should try to find similarities in our setups? I hadn't remembered I had moved Audio Acceleration down earlier this year due to another game. I will move this back to full acceleration (but I seriously doubt it will affect anything at all.)

ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (128 MB) - 4.9 Cat's
SB Live! - Original drivers I believe (Standard Acceleration)
DirectX 9.0c
WinXP - No SP
AMD Athlon +1800 (I know...need to upgrade this)
512 MB Ram

It is very difficult to determine the problem. Because of the variety of our setups. some people with low end machines can play fine as well as high machines. Its very odd and frustrating because its the only game i want to play

Was just hoping that perhaps we might "stumble" onto a common element. I realize that troubleshooting this stuff from a customer standpoint is rather complicated - and just as much luck as anything.

Just to throw this out there...
Alot of you are running AMD's, I have a pentium 2.8g, 9800pro, 1gb ram, that I get NO slowdown and NO "mem leak". Maybe they missed something on AMD proc's?

(Hope not, I have a AMD3600 64 here that I was going to order a mobo for :( soon )

Back