ET:TW

Status
Not open for further replies.
How about this. I will concede that there are some people who will interpret NoFiX's post as an attempt to remind those of us who want a mod that it will not be as easy as some think, and even respect that something he says may have value to another person working on the mod.

if

Amadeus can explain how
btw, can't wait to crash the tribes mod servers. that's so going to rock.

is somehow helping the mod effort. You cannot say its like before when people were not listening about errors he had detected but nobody listened. This is a threat prior to ANY work being done. How does this help? he can crash a server....OMG HE RULES. Again, show me how any of his harassing effort is COMMON SENSE.

some of you act like fucktards just for the attention

what part of, quakewars has jetpacks and (very) limited skiing already + at least 2 of the quakewars devs are huge tribes fans and willing to contribute skiing code to the project (one of which coded the current implentation of skiing into quakewars)- don't you understand?

Just keep it simple and stick with trying to mod jetpacks and skiing in using the existing QW art assets. Provided you are able to accomplish that to your satisfaction, then worry about ramping up to a conversion MOD and all that entails.

I have no clue why they must preach how hard it is and it is not worth doing...and if we try they will work to thwart us by crashing servers....

maybe they only do easy things so they look smart...

makes me wonder if discussion of any new work should be done here since it all gets sidetracked by arguing, which I have done myself.

maybe ZOD will be able to start a dialogue with FeaRog and wils and get something started. Here to help if I can.

MG

MG, the answer to that is hidden somewhere in my previous post. Hint: look at the part I predicted you would ignore.

MG, the answer to that is hidden somewhere in my previous post. Hint: look at the part I predicted you would ignore.

maybe you forgot the part where NoFix would crash t1 servers over and over again....it had nothing to do with 'research to release fixes', although it was 'nice' of him to release that later on.

maybe you forgot the part where NoFix would crash t1 servers over and over again....it had nothing to do with 'research to release fixes', although it was 'nice' of him to release that later on.
So your point is... NoFiX is not a nice person?

Golly, that information will sure be handy for all the QW modders out there.

I think this thread is overdue for a lock.

But while I'm here, I'd like to see just physics changes in the game first to mimic tribes-like skiing. Although I think starting with an LT game type may noobify tribes newcomers, it seems to be the easiest way to at least have a working mod. Hopefully, the project can gain some more momentum after that to implement more trivial things like weapons and vehicles.

I'm just trying to say skiing and jetting, being the most notable features of tribes would make sense to be implemented first. Then we can add the auto-lock, heat-seeking missle/grappler combo that doubles as a shocklance and morphs into a tank-pod later.

... i think he made a valid point, even if he kind of snobby about it

That point being ... that a ( shitty ) jetpack mod doesn't make Tribes, Tribes.

Now all that's left is:

Tribes Jetpacks ( physics )
Tribes Physics
Tribes Skiing
Tribes Inventory
Tribes Terrain ( huge, skiiable, fast )
Tribes Weapons
Tribes Models
Tribes Art
Tribes Maps
Tribes FOV ( without 120, you might as well not even bother )
Tribes CTF gametype

A ton of other stuff ...

Yep, this mod will be a walk in the park!

Last edited:
what part of, quakewars has jetpacks and (very) limited skiing already + at least 2 of the quakewars devs are huge tribes fans and willing to contribute skiing code to the project (one of which coded the current implentation of skiing into quakewars)- don't you understand?

So, if it's so easy, where's your mod? The beta's been out for awhile, what's everyone waiting for?

on one hand, zod created this thread

on the other, i wholeheartedly eat up all of the shit that nofix says without question

enjoy your aids faggots

Tactics of T1
Scale of T2
Speed of T:V

No boundaries
No Oobs
Speed, Speed, Speed
Not that stupid shitty excuse for skiing jump jump crap. Its stupid just admit it already.
Disc/Snipe/Grenade/Chain/Mortar/Hand Nades and im good
Sensor Network from T1
Repair Pack from T:V

Done.

So, if it's so easy, where's your mod? The beta's been out for awhile, what's everyone waiting for?

1) haven't found a way to open .pk4 files (zip doesn't work)
2) there is no public dedicated server released
3) any mod sdk they may release isn't included in the beta

the pk4 files are encrypted with a simple xor algo. ( i already posted the scripts )
you don't need a dedicated server
write your own sdk

For a Tribes type game, the current settings put ground friction too high, the skiing itself is too flat/smooth and feels dead, and there isn't enough sideways friction for carving to change direction. I don't foresee any problems changing any of that, though.

the pk4 files are encrypted with a simple xor algo. ( i already posted the scripts )
you don't need a dedicated server
write your own sdk

"Then we can add the auto-lock, heat-seeking missle/grappler combo that doubles as a shocklance and morphs into a tank-pod later?????."

LOL ..Gold Star for Fox.

Couldnt resist ,..NVM.
:domotwak:

I just gave the beta a whirl and I'm much more optimistic having tried it. The Icarus is a bit clunky, probably as intended, but it has alot of merit to it and with a some tweaking you could definitely get it working extremely well. In terms of the engine, it's not all that bad either, and it's got some good shaders and looking over the documentation, they're really well implemented. The art pipeline doesn't look overly complicated either, so custom content wouldn't be all that difficult to work in. Scripting isn't my thing, but I've looked it over at it's very much like C++. It's really easy to read and it seems to have alot of flexibility.

From the small bit of research that I've done, I'd say a small mod with basic skiing and weapons would be well within the realm of possibility. Looking at what the game has to offer right now, a full blown total conversion could be possible as well.

I'm not a modder. My programming has always been website scripting.

I did do mapping on the Unreal engine as well as in T2.

My questions are:

Is there anyone here at TW, other than NoFix since he's Mr Negative, who is experienced in modding and scripting a game?

If there is, have you taken a look at this to see what sort of endeavor it would really take?

Unless someone with the appropriate skill level and willingness to take on such an endeavor speaks up, then this is all speculative and wishful thinking.

People have gotten the Torque engine itself and never completed a project. The closest we ever got was Legends. While a good effort, it fell short of ever attracting a player base. If someone undertakes this, then they are really going to have to ask themselves if they want to create something to make the few at TW happy or are they going to try and create a mod that will attract new players. Depends on what type of consolidation they want at the end of their effort.

My only suggestion would be to focus on gameplay over options and graphics. As someone said earlier, concentrate on creating a good duel enviroment first. If players can't effectively ski and lead their targets, then the mod will not be worth the effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back