[dogs] So I'm thinking of getting another dog [dogs]

JudgeU

Veteran XV
Long story short:

-My wife watches the news and thinks a drug lord is going to beat down our door and steal our stuff.

-We have two English bulldogs that are scared of bunnies and would throw us to bad guys rather than get a scratch on themselves.

- So we're thinking of getting a "guard" dog.

Top of our list is German Shepard, Rottweiler, and a Doberman. All three have pluses and minuses, but we're leaning towards a doberman.

I want to go with a classic "security" breed mainly for the psychological effect it would have on my wife (as well as intruders).

Thoughts? Would LOVE to her testimonies of people that have actually lived with these breeds.

explain to your wife that the news shows only the worst things that happen around you for ratings because otherwise it would be boring

instead of getting a dog, buy a pistol and kill your stupid fucking wife with it

Depends on how much you have to spend... If money is not an object get a fully trained guard GSD.

explain to your wife that the news shows only the worst things that happen around you for ratings because otherwise it would be boring

instead of getting a dog, buy a pistol and kill your stupid fucking wife with it

Already own about 5 guns, and I've talked to her about all that. But truthfully, I love dogs and wouldn't mind having another.

I haven't had any experience with any if those dogs, but I came here to say DOGS RULE!!!!¡¡¡

I have been around a rottie and they are nice, and they are super powerful. I personally would get a rottie or dobbie.

German Shepherds are really good dogs. I grew up with them as a kid, they were always protective yet gentle with us kids.

Depends on how much you have to spend... If money is not an object get a fully trained guard GSD.

That sounds expensive. Money isn't to much of an issue, but I don't want to pay out of my ass for a dog. I'm willing to up to $1500 to $2000 Max and hoping around half that.

doberman has a cool factor. at the dog park they're always one of the dogs everyone wants to pet.

same with a well kept german shepard.

i wouldn't discriminate. goto your local shelter and see if they have either of those. you can save your wife and save a life.

why the fuck would you have to pay that much for a fucking dog

go to the humane society and pick up a german shepherd for basically free

I'd suggest a Mastiff. Why?

They are territorial but not overtly aggressive.

They will protect you, but they won't willy nilly go apeshit ballistic in accidental situations.

They are gentle giants.

They deter more than anything.

Do you really want an agressive dog? Or do you want a dog that for all intensive purposes will do the same thing, but be a much more enjoyable pet (Maybe - the breeds you are contemplating can be good enjoyable pets, but the question is do you have what it takes to train them the way you want them).

That sounds expensive. Money isn't to much of an issue, but I don't want to pay out of my ass for a dog. I'm willing to up to $1500 to $2000 Max and hoping around half that.

Yeah a fully trained guard GSD is about 7500-10000. You can get puppies for about 1500-2000 that you can train yourself...

Edit: Look up Schutzhund training.

why the fuck would you have to pay that much for a fucking dog

go to the humane society and pick up a german shepherd for basically free

mmm humane society animals aren't always the most stable animals and typically more work to train. If you want a dog for a specific purpose its almost more logical to get a puppy and meld it to your needs.

Back