Dear TW: American Road Trip

The trip should last a week or two (something of a summer holiday I guess), though it does sound a bit impractical to drive to California. I'm thinking of spending up to a few thousand dollars on this trip so should be okay to sleep in Motels or maybe in the car?

OK, a week, I doubt driving from East coast to west is feasible in that time frame. Plus who really wants to spend most of a week with their ass in the same car seat, driving..

Anyway! Sleeping in motels will be cheaper, but you may wind up in the occasional dump. But if you are renting, I imagine a minivan could do for a place to sleep, sure. You need to find rest stops or such specifically for parking overnight and campers, though, parking and sleeping on the street is an iffy proposition at best. Cops might roust you.

:huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:
WV isn't exactly known for its strip clubs.

Unless you want to do something outdoors, don't visit WV. If you want to ski, go rock climbing/bouldering, white water rafting, hiking, mountain biking, camping, fishing, or something along those lines, it is a good place to visit.

I'm quite interested in white water rafting (did a little in France last summer) and skiing, maybe even camping if I can bully the others into doing it for a few nights (I'm not sure how safe it is) so any good places you know of would be helpful.

maybe even camping if I can bully the others into doing it for a few nights (I'm not sure how safe it is)

For safety, go to the Pacific Northwest. Less bugs, spiders, scorpions, bears, etc. And no ticks.

(Less in the sense of less you need to worry about. For instance we have lots of bears, but they run away instead of wondering if you have any rice crispy treats.)

If you really want a good road trip, If I were you, I'd just to a slam-bam-bye-maam tour of the east coast schools via plane and focus on the west. California, Utah, Ore/Wa and Arizona have like...18 national parks combined, all of which are pretty amazing.

Oh and a couple summers ago I drove from Tampa to SF via Tennessee, Denver, and San Diego. Avoid anything between Tennessee and Denver unless you want 1500 miles of this:

APAC-Kansas-HutchingsonKS_I70-ShermanCo.jpg

I live in Washington state. There's a local radio show host who's from Boston. He complains that, the further west you go, the more that guys are pushovers and women are bitches. This, he says, culminates in Hawaii where the men are useless.

California, Utah, Ore/Wa and Arizona have like...18 national parks combined, all of which are pretty amazing.

We have like 18 in just this state. The entire cascades mountain range is one, plus Mt Rainier, Mt St Helens, the Olympics (the only rainforest in the northern hemisphere) and a bunch along the coast. We have 80 miles of sandy beaches, the highest mountain in the contiguous US (Rainier), a massive variety of plant life and farming on the western half of the state, and farmland, deserts, and other stuff on the eastern half. Seattle offers a unique metropolitan experience without being overwhelming (aka it's still a decent place to live) and there's lots of opportunity.

Last edited:
Harvard, Princeton, Stanford, Columbia and Penn. State (they supposedly offering 70k/year for such PhDs!).

MIT is a maybe and my current university have an exchange programme with them but I don't really think of them as much of a research place (more engineering).

I'm mostly going on what my supervisors have suggested for grad. school.

I'm thinking of staying for a week or two, so driving is possible.

My wife went to school in Cambridge and I somewhat live in the area, what are you looking to find out about it? What kinds of things are you into? New England itself is a pretty nice area to live in.

I'm quite interested in white water rafting (did a little in France last summer) and skiing, maybe even camping if I can bully the others into doing it for a few nights (I'm not sure how safe it is) so any good places you know of would be helpful.

New england is a great area for all of that. Skiing, hiking, camping ect ect

we get a chance at ONE decent foreigner coming to the US and you guys have to be assholes to him

US is really big. it will take a month to drive through it all and see decent universities. I'd start up at new york then go down south to Florida then west to Lousiana then up to St. Louis. Then just go West. Arizonia, Utah are all great states

The New River Gorge/Fayette County is a good place to visit for summer activities.

Whitewater rafting on the New & Gauley Rivers is top notch. (Official Whitewater Tourism site)
That site is a good starting point. Make sure to read the "Timing is Everything" paragraph. The New River is probably your best option for a summer trip.
When you pick an outfitter, get one that has been around for awhile. Anything that looks really new is a bad idea.

There is some good climbing there too.

Skiing isn't a possibility in the summer in WV or this area.

There are camp grounds all around the state. If you are new to camping, I suggest you stay at one of the state parks. It isn't that camping is dangerous, it is just a little unpleasant if you strike out into the wilderness unprepared.

Oh, and pretty much every single outdoor activity or otherwise (rafting included) is available within a 3hr drive of Stanford.

US is really big. it will take a month to drive through it all and see decent universities. I'd start up at new york then go down south to Florida then west to Lousiana then up to St. Louis. Then just go West. Arizonia, Utah are all great states

This seems to be the consensus; drive down the east coast for a tour of the universities and then fly to the west for sightseeing and holiday activities.

My wife went to school in Cambridge and I somewhat live in the area, what are you looking to find out about it? What kinds of things are you into? New England itself is a pretty nice area to live in.

It would be nice to know if there are parks or university places where I can just go and play some basketball/football (soccer) with the locals, what the sporting facilities are at Stanford what the nightlife is up to (though admittedly I could probably find most of those things from their website :p).

Back