Dear TW: American Road Trip

I currently live in England and I'm planning on applying to America for graduate school, so this summer I've decided to go on a road trip of the U.S. with some friends of mine. I'll try to visit some of the universities I'm applying to and want to get some sense of what living in America for 3 years would be like.

Where should I go?

if you can swing it, be sure to drive through arizona... that's a really cool drive, there are some awesome rock formations out there.

we get a chance at ONE decent foreigner coming to the US and you guys have to be assholes to him

Yeah, we need more info as to where you're intending to need to stop.

Something of an oversight on my part, the schools I'm interested in are in Cambridge, M.A., borough of Princeton, New Jersey, Stanford, C.A., New York, NY. and Centre county, Pennsylvania.

Figured it was the NE, that's a huge area to cover. Just going from university to university will take hours. The major cities like Boston and NY are very expensive to live in.

here is my take on those areas

Cambridge, M.A., - like princeton but busier
borough of Princeton, New Jersey, - like cambridge but quieter
Stanford, C.A., - it's sunny
New York, NY. - duh
and Centre county, Pennsylvania - irrelevant crap hole town

Just a reminder of how big the US is...
SUMMARY
Driving distance: 2933.7 miles
Trip duration: 5 days, 1 hour, 57 minutes
Driving time: 41 hours, 57 minutes
Cost: $342.30

New York to Stanford

Ah, yeah, an East Coast crawl. You'll be able to take major highways between each of these, so the only time you'll get a real taste of American 'life' is when and where you stop. Phalanx is relatively accurate, though I would call Center Co. "bucolic", that will probably be your most rural school with like, open farmland around it. The rest will probably be mostly city living, in the order NYC/Cam/Princeton. Traveling to Cali for the one school? That part is gonna be quite a long drive. You might wanna just fly, unless, I mean, how long exactly you wanna be on the road?

If you drive all the way across the country you'll get a lot of stops and more exposure to the middle of the country and country living. Road stops, nowhere towns, empty town, the weird road people. Heh.

Back