Crom's T:V Impressions from GDC

T:V is definitely getting good coverage in the gaming fan sites / mags. I have no idea if Sierra would choke up the funding, but a TV (as in television) ad would likely do wonders. Especially if it had some good CGI in it and leveraged the probably excellent storyline Irrational is going to have for SP. For an excellent example of the kind of CGI I'm talking about, look at this movie for the PS2 game "Onimusha 3". It's too long for a television ad, but it sure is kick-ass.

UberGuy (FT) said:
T:V is definitely getting good coverage in the gaming fan sites / mags. I have no idea if Sierra would choke up the funding, but a TV (as in television) ad would likely do wonders. Especially if it had some good CGI in it and leveraged the probably excellent storyline Irrational is going to have for SP. For an excellent example of the kind of CGI I'm talking about, look at this movie for the PS2 game "Onimusha 3". It's too long for a television ad, but it sure is kick-ass.

Very much agreed. I've seen some great Xbox/PS2 adds for games that make me wanna go out and buy them. LIke that Final Fantasy 11 I think on PS2. I hate RPG's. But that looked awesome! :)

vawlk said:
do you even fudgeing read!?!??!

I don't want a clone, I will probably like T:V. I just don't like that a lot of the things I liked about tribes HAVE BEEN ELIMINATED FROM T:V. For 1 example, a very big example: CLIENT SIDE SCRIPTING!!!! (I previously listed about 10 different things earlier IF YOU COULD fudgeING READ)

God you people are dense. Get it in your thick fudgeing skulls that other people like the game for different reasons than YOU!
Well excuse the fudge out of me for not taking extensive notes for the whole 32 pages of this retarded thread. What exactly did you list? Please enlighten me...

And if you tried using the FAQ or dev tracker, you'd understand by now why they changed what they did. And I'm glad they have, I'm just sick and tired of people raising a shazbotstorm every time something new is announced.

As for client side scripting, why do you need it? They're already including the mandatory functions that scripts provided in the past. Plus they already said you'll be able to customize your hud. I don't see why people are so bitter over losing scripting for the sake of cheat security. I'll admit, I'm sad skinning is being limited like it is, but I can live with it...

Sojourn said:
What I was unhappy with is between myself, the Dev team, and the other testers who were there. I'm sorry, but I don't think it's appropriate for me to go spouting what I didn't like about an incomplete build. Don't get me wrong, if the game was horrible, I would say so. But when we brought our concerns up with the Dev team, many of them were already going to be addressed in one form or another. In other cases, the Dev team mentioned that they just felt some things needed to be changed. Some things I agreed with, some things I didn't..

How about what I did like? I loved the blaster. It is infinitely better than the previous versions in Tribes and Tribes 2. I would definitely include it in quite a few of my loadouts, because it's useful in a way that I don't think any other weapon in Tribes was.

The attention to detail was impressive. There were little nuances in the game that really became clear to you once you got a little more used to the feel, and the features of the game. Skiing was not nearly as simplified as it was in Tribes 2. It took a degree of skill, and there was a sense of satisfaction when you got yourself moving. When you hear people talk about the sweet spots.. they are just that. You know when you hit them right.. not because of any sound, because there was no sound for those when I played, but because all of a sudden you were moving faster, and more fluidly. It made me smile whenever I hit one, because you had to hit it at just the right angle. It was challenging, and fun. Mid-airs were another thing that I got a sense of satisfaction from. It took a couple of shots, but shortly after I got a nice feel for the disc launcher, and I still had that momentary feeling of pride whenever I hit someone with a midair disc, or when I was chasing someone and I had to resort to a desperation snipe while in the air that killed them.

The radar was very useful, and I used it constantly. It's very intuitive. Just by glancing at it the first time, you get a clear idea of how it works, and you will probably find yourself using it religiously. The different armors felt good. The light was.. really light. The mobility of the light was pretty impressive. It definitely suits certain kinds of players who like the extra speed and added mobility in favor of a little less armor. While the medium was a lot more like the light in Tribes, with a little more weight behind it. A lot of players, myself included, felt the most comfortable in the medium, because it felt similar to something we were all used to playing with.

I could really go on and on about what I did like about the game. When I first played Tribes 2 in Beta, I found myself frustrated, and shaking my head. A couple of minutes into playing T:V I was smiling, and Eric (Special) and I were both nodding as we really got emersed in the game, and it felt a little bit like old times. I had a lot of questions while I was playing the game for Chris (Thrax) but he refused to answer them. Anytime I asked something, like.. "How do I tell who has the flag?" or "What does this do?" he would smile and say "You tell me." Which might seem strange, but I got the impression he wanted to make sure we could figure it out for ourselves. That it was that intuitive.

Here's where I think you are erring, Wulfen.. you're putting too much, in my opinion, into the Dev team trying to market the game for a larger crowd. You're hearing about the things they are changing, and thinking "But that belongs in the game.." or thinking it's just way of dumbing the game down. I don't think it could be further from the truth. I, personally, think they are just trying to make the game flow better. They are taking things that are, again, arguably useful.. and either removing them, or manipulating them so that there is no argument at all. That you will use the item and think "This is damn effective." so that you will use the item because the item is useful, not because you need to use the item. That's not just because they want to market it for a larger audience. It's because they are looking at things in the game and thinking "Why is it like this? It could be so much better if we.." Now, you're asking me if that concerns me? Hell yes it does. It concerns me that it took 3 games for designers to finally figure out that some of the things in the game just did not make sense.

Crap, this was far longer than I intended it to be.

I liked your evalution. Thank you for it.

I can kind of get the idea of why some things are looking at being changed or whatever. I knew it wasn't going to be solely based on either previous tribes games it's just that there were some changes I didn't get. I'm just a bit of a die hard and a little stubborn to change my ways. More so than I thought. I'll try to be open minded we just got to harrass though we can't let them try and get away with everything.

UberGuy (FT) said:
Yea, I saw the Call of Duty commercial in the theater right before the previews a few times..

VaporTrail said:
What's client side scripting done for Tribes. Really?

Hud Modifications. Already in.
Ski Scripts, jump-jet scripts, Automissile, Autoflare, Autorepairkit, autobeacon, etc.Convienience scripts. Hopefully we won't need them as much, skiing is automated already, no missiles or flares.
Scripts like autowaypoint, spam aimers, junk tossers. Stuff that people could do without, and possibly considered borderline cheats.

What else good about client-side scripting is there that we'll lose?
I liked having 3 chat huds, one global, one team, and one informational.

I liked when the automatically hid themseves after 7 seconds of inactivity.

I liked my flag grab alert noise

I liked my orange ring around my hud when I grabbed a flag or accidentally ran it to a flag.

I liked my killtrackers and ranks.

I liked the powerful inventory scripts.

I liked the flag call scripts.

I liked the engineer hud for when I was farming.

I liked low ammo warning since pretty icons suck when dueling.

I loved automatically going 3rd person on flag grabs and inv stations to make sure I had what I wanted.

I LOVED hideweapon. Change weapon and see it for 2 secs then it disappears.

I liked spawnweapon.

I liked teamtimer, uberzoom, and matchstats too.

And I liked having a choice between 2-5 different versions of all these scripts depending on maker.

And above all I liked playing with scripts when I was tired of playing which prevented burnout.

Was that enough for you or shall I go on?

pyrot3chnic said:
Well excuse the fudge out of me for not taking extensive notes for the whole 32 pages of this retarded thread. What exactly did you list? Please enlighten me...

And if you tried using the FAQ or dev tracker, you'd understand by now why they changed what they did. And I'm glad they have, I'm just sick and tired of people raising a shazbotstorm every time something new is announced.

As for client side scripting, why do you need it? They're already including the mandatory functions that scripts provided in the past. Plus they already said you'll be able to customize your hud. I don't see why people are so bitter over losing scripting for the sake of cheat security. I'll admit, I'm sad skinning is being limited like it is, but I can live with it...

well if you don't read the thread then don't jerk. and I'm not retyping the list.

As for the dev tracker, I do read it and I know what they did. Still not happy with the overall view.

As for client side scripting...read above, and as I said, it was one example. Another would be the clan management and unique names. I like that in T2, others don't care, but I do.

I only jerk at things I don't like, and compliment the things I do. I commended the repair patch idea over the RK. I like that, but for me most of the things I have heard have been things I don't like, but I am a different player than most here. I stopped playing T1 when heavies started capping and MDs. I also preferred T2 Base over T2 Classic.

Anyway, I'm not arguing just to argue, I have legitimate concerns that I go in to detail about and get a little pissy when someone who is too lazy to read the whole thread jumps in and rips apart a post I make in response to a previous discussion with another person.

Fine. Complain, that's your right; but when people blow stuff out of proportion, that's when I start to get irritated. I didn't mean to direct my hostility on you alone. There have been a lot of people, and I bet I used to be one of them; but for the love of God, shut the fudge up until you play the game. I don’t know what other issues you have besides the RK, but w/e, if you want to waste time nitpicking about every little thing, go for it.

Imagine suiting in a "LIGHT light," skiing a big hill, boosting, catching an OOB grid, redirecting yourself in midair without jetting such that you hit a landing *perfectly* and thus maximize the boost from the bouncy pad in your front, and THEN risking a quick death by discjumping such that you SCREAM at the flag...

That sounds farking awesome!!!

All of the announced movement changes (armors, pads, etc. etc.) create opportunities for NEW creativity to emerge - particularly around skiing and routing.

As for health kits, I like the change. While the current system isn't broken, reducing complexity is an important goal and this health kit tweak shouldn't adversely impact gameplay and may in fact enhance it.

/me waives at Wulfey and Moolio. Thrax they're just holding your feet to the fire. Nobody wants T:V to rock more than those two.

I've read this entire thread, and i don't think anyone has mentioned the following ide
What if the amount of health the kit gave you would depend on how much you have left? The less you have, the more you get. For example, if you use the kit while being at 80%, you get 10%, but if you are at 10% you get 30% when using the kit. This of course aren't balanced values, but i hope you get the idea. That way players would be awarded for taking the risk, and it would make the kit a bit more interesting.

I dont't however the removal of the "classic" kit as the much of an issue, and the patch solution could alse be quite interesting.

vawlk said:
I liked having 3 chat huds, one global, one team, and one informational.

I liked when the automatically hid themseves after 7 seconds of inactivity.

I liked my flag grab alert noise

I liked my orange ring around my hud when I grabbed a flag or accidentally ran it to a flag.

I liked my killtrackers and ranks.

I liked the powerful inventory scripts.

I liked the flag call scripts.

I liked the engineer hud for when I was farming.

I liked low ammo warning since pretty icons suck when dueling.

I loved automatically going 3rd person on flag grabs and inv stations to make sure I had what I wanted.

I LOVED hideweapon. Change weapon and see it for 2 secs then it disappears.

I liked spawnweapon.

I liked teamtimer, uberzoom, and matchstats too.

And I liked having a choice between 2-5 different versions of all these scripts depending on maker.

And above all I liked playing with scripts when I was tired of playing which prevented burnout.

Was that enough for you or shall I go on?

sucker

now you have to play normal like the res of us! mWhhaha

i never had any scripts and was like some where inbetween 1st and 3rd best player ranked on the server i played on

pyrot3chnic said:
I don’t know what other issues you have besides the RK, but w/e, if you want to waste time nitpicking about every little thing, go for it.
What else is there to do? :p

Bistromatic said:
I've read this entire thread, and i don't think anyone has mentioned the following ide
What if the amount of health the kit gave you would depend on how much you have left? The less you have, the more you get. For example, if you use the kit while being at 80%, you get 10%, but if you are at 10% you get 30% when using the kit. This of course aren't balanced values, but i hope you get the idea. That way players would be awarded for taking the risk, and it would make the kit a bit more interesting.

I dont't however the removal of the "classic" kit as the much of an issue, and the patch solution could alse be quite interesting.

its a nifty idea, and runs completely counter to what they're trying to do :p

poisonspider said:
i never had any scripts and was like some where inbetween 1st and 3rd best player ranked on the server i played on

Extremely few scripts have any affect whatsoever on how a player does in combat. Most scripts are for either concise information management, rapid automation of tasks that can otherwise be time consuming (especially at the pace of Classic), or make the game look different / nicer.

My guess is you're a kill whore LD/LO type, or perhaps an HO. You can have constant "high scores" doing either of those. It often means you are good at twitching. It often has nothing to do with whether you play for your team well. Yes, killing lots of enemies, gens, etc. is good for your team. It does not make you a good Tribes player, or mean that you understand the game. Perhaps you do, but that you would make a comment like you did about scripts strongly suggests to me that you are clueless.

Actually I think most of the scripts you mentioned do have an effect on a player in combat. Not a direct effect, like improving aim or anything like that... but being able to assimilate info quicker, or have automated tasks alows more time for careful aiming, or target scanning, etc.

Thing is that without all the specialized info scripts and such, people with good combat awareness will be at a slight advantage. Pure twitch players aren't going to be able to copensate for a lack of awareness with scripts (say twitch HoF with a command screen window, or autowaypoint for example).

Back