Crom's T:V Impressions from GDC

Personally, I would rather have the kit, but in it's absence I'd rather have the patches rather than nothing. I think - perhaps playtesting will show this to be untenable and/or lame, but no one here can know for sure yet.

As to why the person died and left something that didn't help them ... make the animation be the live player ripping out the dead one's heart and eating it. :D

Honestly, who here NEVER uses their repair kit. As soon as I take some damage I almost always hit the heal key and there you go.

Using a repair kit does not require skill...it's just one more thing you have to think about while you're fighting someone. Dueling should not be a test of who can punch keys faster than the other person.

As for throwing your kit to someone else...that's what the repair pack is for. Ono, you might actually have to use something other than the e-pack!!!!

nazbot said:
Using a repair kit does not require skill...it's just one more thing you have to think about while you're fighting someone. Dueling should not be a test of who can punch keys faster than the other person.
!!!!
:huh:
Oooohkay...
I suppose we should just control the game with our telekinetic powers?!?
Untill they come out with something better than a keyboard, it's all about pushing buttons at the right time.

because you are retarded obviously, using it as soon as you take damage, any decent player knows how much it fills up, thus waits to lose that much health and extends their health bar as much as possible

sLoGg said:
because you are retarded obviously, using it as soon as you take damage, any decent player knows how much it fills up, thus waits to lose that much health and extends their health bar as much as possible

i think he knows that slogg

i think he just didnt word it right......

any smart player wait till they can use there repair kit to full advantage

it's a silly way of adding skill to the game

if you killed a smart player, you wouldnt get a repair kit
with health kits appearing each kill it will be fun to play test

ide assume they are much weaker then a reapiar kit

Yodddddddalay heee hoooooooooooo

new vehicle tommorow :D cant wait till i wake up

i think he just didnt word it right......

any smart player wait till they can use there repair kit to full advantage
Exactly. Almost everyone here knows when to use their health kit, and it's not like it took a year to figure out. Knowing when to use your kit is NOT a skill, so why even bother having it in the game?

Think of it this way...it's one less thing you're going to have to remap when you do a fresh install of T:V.

nazbot said:

Yeah, you need to pick your moment to use it. God forbid you have to THINK about when the best time would be lol.

As for throwing your kit to someone else...that's what the repair pack is for. Ono, you might actually have to use something other than the e-pack!!!!

Even with a E-pack you could still toss a rep kit to a needy HoF. :shrug:

perhaps you worded that wrong as well.

Fprewarning AKA OMG OMG OMG WHAT?

This post will containt a lot of cursing. This isn't because I'm angry, but because it makes for good rhetorical effect.

I felt it worthwhile to add that I'm fudgeing sick and tired of people calling T:V anything other than T:V, as if they were presenting a goddamned symbolic message by referring to the game with a name that doesn't include the word Tribes.

It's fudgeing Tribes, you fudgewits. T2 base was fudgeing Tribes. It was written on the fatherfudgeing box. Tribes as a name has no special sanctity. Hell, no Tribes game mechanic is sacrosanct. As long as they decide to publish it with a jetpack and skiing and call it Tribes, it'll be fudgeing Tribes.

Add onto this, though T:V is different, you renaming twits seem to forget how much of it remains the same. The game is still skiing, still discing, chaining, nading... The game still has three armors, it still has a fudgeing generator, and it still has fudgeing jetpacks. What else makes a mothershazbotfudgeingwhorecuntsunovajerk Tribes game? You consider LT Tribes, yet it doesn't even have half of that fudgeing shazbot!

It's fudgeing T:V. The game is not X-product, the game is not Unreal Vengeance, the game is not fudgeing anything other than pick-up-your-disc-launcher-cause-its-asskicking-time-you-motherfudgeer TRIBES.

When you call T:V something else, you are not clever, you are not meaningful, and you present yourself as a masturbatory little shazbot whose best claim to a witty or creative thought was jumping onto the rename a game bandwagon. fudge you, you fudgeing cunts.

That post should look really funny after the filter. :]

The actual, original post:

Guys, the game is Tribes. Calling it something else just isn't that clever or meaningful. Why make yourself look like a stupid reactionary? People who come up with dumb nicknames are rarely the people who ever come up with actual points during a debate and discussion.

I dunno why no one brought this up, or did they? Make the Repair kit a grenade type. Problem solved.

Last edited:
Kaden said:
Even with a E-pack you could still toss a rep kit to a needy HoF. :shrug:

perhaps you worded that wrong as well.

ok, so you lose a crappy tactic but gain a more defined player roles
such as a repair pack becoming slightly more important ?

im not argueing, i dont know whats best for tribes, trial and error

i do know that i hardely ever came across people tossing repair kits to one another

my T2 tribe always does it to help the HOF or in turtles the guy with the flag. Will just have to have the TM sorta role have a Repair kit while deploying the turrets and mines un stuff, now they can carry a Deployable and a Repair pack.

Only if you would rather have 1 repair kit or 5 normal grenades. In T2 you had no choice. Repair kits are not nearly as important as flares are in T2.

Zoolooman said:
When you call T:V something else, you are not clever, you are not meaningful, and you present yourself as a masturbatory little shazbot whose best claim to a witty or creative thought was jumping onto the rename a game bandwagon. fudge you, you fudgeing cunts.

To me, tribes is much more than the things you listed. A lot the things I like (previously listed in another post), that were in both T1 and T2, have been taken away in T:V.

Sure the game may rock, and I might love it. But to me, a part of Tribes is dying with the upcoming title, which is why I just call it Vengeance. I don't mean this in any insulting way. I wasn't trying to be clever, just honest.

KineticPoet said:
Each time you kill someone in multiplayer, he drops a repair patch. This requires no extra key or added complexity but still gives you an obvious, intuitive scavenging reward. We can tune this repair patch however we want.

No, it doesn't require skill to use a repair patch, but at least you're rewarded for the skill it took to kill someone. This also adds more value to your life (you might think twice before suiciding in enemy territory).
Hmm I like this, especially the suicide penalty.

See? Discussion does help. You urged us to try another option. For those who might remember that I promised the same test change for 2-3-4 weapons but never delivered, that's because I went to make the change and realized that our code doesn't fully support it yet. So we're still waiting on that,
KP
Props. It's one of the first changes (even though temporary) I have seen directly resulting from a TW discussion. This is a very good thing and I might just knock a couple notches off my PO meter.

Back