<@Cringe> poker is a sport

sorry but poker is NOT a sport.

the physically challenging arguement is bullshit b/c if you sit and play at a table for 12 hours ofcourse you're going to be tired, but if you do ANYTHING for 12 hours you're going to be tired...

mostest def said:
sorry but poker is NOT a sport.

the physically challenging arguement is bullshit b/c if you sit and play at a table for 12 hours ofcourse you're going to be tired, but if you do ANYTHING for 12 hours you're going to be tired...

What about sleeping?

Fool said:
You're pretty wrong.

If 10 people sit at a poker table, and did absolutely no betting whatsoever and just looked at the cards as they are predetermined, you would win 1 out of every 10 hands on average.

There is plenty of skill involved to win more than 1 in 10 hands. And it's not just bluffing. As you don't know what your opponent holds you could make an argument that there's no such thing as bluffing (as you might be bluffing a bluffer). Gaining information, using betting strategy to ensure that your opponent is making mathematical mistakes, etc. are all a part of the game. Luck sometimes comes into play, but there's a reason why there are a few consistantly winning poker professionals and it's not because they're just super lucky.

But to win still comes down to the CHANCE of getting better cards.

Again bluffing/reading others players takes some skill but its still a game of chance.

Mud Sloth said:
If I ever sleep for 12 hours, I wake up tired.

I usually don't sleep for more than 7 hours or so, but If I sleep for 12+, it usually means that I needed that 12 hours of sleep, so I don't wake up tired.

[end run-on sentance]

Keeper said:
But to win still comes down to the CHANCE of getting better cards.

Again bluffing/reading others players takes some skill but its still a game of chance.

Again you are wrong. You can't control what the cards are, but you can control many other elements. For instance a football team doesn't know what defense the other team will use. If you decide to run the ball the whole time and never pass, the other team will compensate and you will never move the ball. Similarly in poker, there are tactics and strategies you can employ to win a hand regardless of what you hold. Bluffing is too broad a term to use. For instance if I hold a pair of 4's, and my opponents holds 5's, and there's a 6 on the board, it's not bluffing for me to bet. I have a hand, weak to be sure, but a hand. By betting with the worst of it, I can hopefully get him to lay down a better hand because of the perception that he is beat by employing proper betting strategy.

If the game was luck, there would not be people who consistently win. If it was luck, over time everyone would break even.

The problem with this argument is that people hold the title of a "sport" on some great pedestal.

Here’s an example for some of you to consider. Some people think Golf is not a sport. They think it’s a game (obvious contrary). If you gave a two year old a golf club and a ball, and told him to take a shot at 18 holes, it would be the worst 15+ hours of your life. However, you give the same two year old a soccer ball, he might be able to kick it into the net.

There’s some sort of glory or something in playing “sports”, because as a society we hold them to a higher standard. However, there are many games which require more skill, more intelligence, and some games, even more physical prowess than our typical sports.

Tribes is harder to pick up then basketball. So, as someone stated earlier in this thread, who cares if it’s a game or a sport? It’s a stupid semantic that proves/means nothing.

Last edited:
Opinions will vary on what anything takes to be considered a sport. And in reality the only smart ones are the ones who dont give a fuck.

Fool said:
Again you are wrong. You can't control what the cards are, but you can control many other elements. For instance a football team doesn't know what defense the other team will use. If you decide to run the ball the whole time and never pass, the other team will compensate and you will never move the ball. Similarly in poker, there are tactics and strategies you can employ to win a hand regardless of what you hold. Bluffing is too broad a term to use. For instance if I hold a pair of 4's, and my opponents holds 5's, and there's a 6 on the board, it's not bluffing for me to bet. I have a hand, weak to be sure, but a hand. By betting with the worst of it, I can hopefully get him to lay down a better hand because of the perception that he is beat by employing proper betting strategy.

If the game was luck, there would not be people who consistently win. If it was luck, over time everyone would break even.

We can go around this over and over. In the end its a game of chance.

2 players go all in. One has Ace Queen other has Ace Jack. It comes down to the chance of who gets the break. It has nothing to do with skill tactics or anything else. It comes down to the shuffle of the deck that neither player can control.

Pokerstars is fucking rigged. I lost my arse over the last couple weeks, not hitting any pot. It's like the fuckers knew my hand. I've given up and quit. The only people making money are those running the tournaments (web sites) and the few superstars at the top.

NoGodForMe said:
Pokerstars is fucking rigged. I lost my arse over the last couple weeks, not hitting any pot. It's like the fuckers knew my hand. I've given up and quit. The only people making money are those running the tournaments (web sites) and the few superstars at the top.

lol...they probably did. There are scanners out there that will tell people what everyone is holding. If your cursor starts dragging...stop playing. (Of course they may have fixed some of these but they are out there)

Yea, the 100k I've won on there so far this year is just pure luck after sucking out when everyone knew what I had. Thank god for luck!

Keeper said:
lol...they probably did. There are scanners out there that will tell people what everyone is holding. If your cursor starts dragging...stop playing. (Of course they may have fixed some of these but they are out there)

Yup and if that were true most people would have them and everyone would be right back to winning an equal number of hands.

Back