[CPA] Online Classes?

(isn't there a work requirement, though? some friends of mine on the CPA route mentioned something about having to work under a CPA for two years or something)

most states require you have a certain # of hours in accounting coursework and graduate studies in the coursework he can't even qualify

agian, taking a cpa exam isn't something you just study and then do, people work at it 5 years and then take it

zodie - if you feel competent and comfortable with accounting and its principles, then sure, take online courses. Your CPA will be same regardless of where your accounting background comes from, especially with an econ degree.

By the way, why are you going the accounting route with an econ degree and not into, um, econ?

most states require you have a certain # of hours in accounting coursework and graduate studies in the coursework he can't even qualify

this is not what i meant. i understand that there's (obviously) a curriculum requirement, that is not the same thing as a "work" requirement. trinket already answered that for me, though.

i don't really get why taking classes to qualify for the CPA online will make a big difference, it's not like that will show up on your resumé, i think you've got the right idea.
this is what i am thinking

zodie - if you feel competent and comfortable with accounting and its principles, then sure, take online courses. Your CPA will be same regardless of where your accounting background comes from, especially with an econ degree.

By the way, why are you going the accounting route with an econ degree and not into, um, econ?
tbh my gpa is <3 and i didn't start seriously looking in to what employers wanted until i was a forth year. i changed majors from computer engineering into business econ at irvine and pretty much coasted, but now i'm far behind a lot of my friends who did accounting minors / internships and got full time positions straight out. i also have very little in the way of work experience (cliffs: i was a bum in college and enjoyed it instead of working)

it's also comforting to hear the bit about people skills and communication. i've heard more than one story about kids getting to 1st round interviews with deloitte/pwc/whatever who can't even put a sentence together. i can definitely take them in that department.

i also find it funny that kittycat is saying it takes people 5 years to prepare for the cpa when i know people who graduated early and are sitting for it the summer after what WOULD have been their last semester in their fourth year

maybe you're just a dumbass?

ps: sitting for the cpa also requires 24 business related units (done) and a baccalaureate degree, both of which i have

so all i'd theoretically need is to do 24 accounting units and study up for the exam itself (i already took two accounting classes in college so i might be slightly ahead already)

Last edited:
i also find it funny that kittycat is saying it takes people 5 years to prepare for the cpa when i know people who graduated early and are sitting for it the summer after what WOULD have been their last semester in their fourth year

maybe you're just a dumbass?

I didn't say it takes 5 years I'm saying your not going to get any respect but by just adding to your resume don't expect any major salary boost.

I didn't say it takes 5 years I'm saying your not going to get any respect but by just adding to your resume don't expect any major salary boost.

so you're saying that you DIDN'T just say this:

agian, taking a cpa exam isn't something you just study and then do, people work at it 5 years and then take it

also, CA doesn't require 150 semester hours like your shitty state probably does

sorry buddy

24 semester units in accounting (educational requirements vary, contact State Board for specific details) and

24/3 so your going to take 8 classes online then take the test have fun...

if you took the 8 classes at your real college you'd have a minor or major in it so it will show

will do, thanks for your support

i'll update this thread later on how it goes if i go through with it

thanks for the useful input trinket, mojo, and alpine (becker was one of the sites i was looking at)

This is how Georgia works not sure about any other state.

You need 120 college hours at least 30 need to be accounting hours (this does not include principle accounting classes) in order to sit for the exam. Once you pass you cannot be certified until you have 150 hours still only 30 need to be accounting and 2 years working under a CPA. Now I do believe they are in the works about lowering that 2 years to 1 year but we will see about that.

california seems on the relaxed side on requirements:
California CPA exam requirements - Becker Review
and i also already have two quarter accounting classes under my belt, so in reality i may only have to take 20 semester units to qualify

when you said you were using becker did you mean to take classes + review or just for their review?

CPA Requirements

according to this, in california, there is in fact a work requirement (regardless of which of the two pathways you choose)

interesting
how does this experience generally work? do you take the exam and pass and then get hired somewhere for a year before being officially titled as a CPA or what?

tbh my gpa is <3 and i didn't start seriously looking in to what employers wanted until i was a forth year. i changed majors from computer engineering into business econ at irvine and pretty much coasted, but now i'm far behind a lot of my friends who did accounting minors / internships and got full time positions straight out. i also have very little in the way of work experience (cliffs: i was a bum in college and enjoyed it instead of working)

it's also comforting to hear the bit about people skills and communication. i've heard more than one story about kids getting to 1st round interviews with deloitte/pwc/whatever who can't even put a sentence together. i can definitely take them in that department.

Honestly, quit ruling yourself out due to your GPA or whatever. I obviously know nothing about you or how you act in real life, but I can give you some personal insight.

I had a GPA probably similar to yours due to similar reasons (read: I am a very intelligent guy, but I didn't try that hard in college until later on, and by then my GPA was hurting). Despite this, I have great personal skills, love talking to people and am confident.

I went to the "open house" at the local offices of the firm I now work for. I am a finance major, NOT an accounting major, and this is primarily an accounting firm (it accounts for ~80% of their business). Even on the consulting side of the business, most people have accounting or econ degrees. I showed up at the open house, not knowing anybody, and felt instantly over my head. The other students walking around were MBAs, high level Alpha Kappa Psi members, 3.8 gpa types.

I got to talking to recruiters about the opportunities for a college grad with an accounting degree. I got introduced, and introduced, and introduced, and eventually found myself sitting in the office of a partner who had stayed late at work (and was not part of the open house). I sold myself to him on why they should hire someone with a finance background, and he seemed marginally impressed.

I got a call a week later inviting me to a 1st round interview. I went, knowing that I had nothing to lose. The interviewer was another partner, and he told me that, had I had an accounting degree and aspirations of a CPA, he would've hired me on the spot, and again, I was going up against some stiff competition. Despite this, he said he would call a different office in another close city and see what he could do. Two weeks later, I got another call, and went to a panel interview with 2 more partners and 2 senior managers, and I ended up getting the job.

I found out later that I beat out 11 people for the job at the second office. Two had advanced degrees, three others graduated top 1% of their class.

All of them had terrible personal skills.

Thats all I had going for me. As I said, I believe I'm a fairly intelligent guy, so I'm sure that helped, but the fact that I was attentive, talkative, confident etc is what got me the job, and they told me as much.

Interview well, and you will do fine, trust me.

it's really about getting your foot in the door and just talking to someone isn't it?

what exactly was this open house you're talking about?

interesting
how does this experience generally work? do you take the exam and pass and then get hired somewhere for a year before being officially titled as a CPA or what?

a friend of mine is currently getting his coursework completed while working full time (under a CPA). once those are done, he plans on taking the actual test.

it's really about getting your foot in the door and just talking to someone isn't it?

what exactly was this open house you're talking about?

My firm (and, as far as I know, all major firms), have an "open house" once or twice a term, where they, through the biz school/accounting clubs/etc invite people to come to their office and meet the staff. It's basically a networking thing, and most people interested in the firm show up. They provide food and drinks, and most of the managers, partners and recruiters show up and talk with prospective employees.

I assume you went to a four year college. As an alumnus, you should still have ample access to their career/job center, particularly through your biz school. Look on their events calender, or go in and talk to someone, and find out if there are any similar events happening soon. It helps. A LOT.

Back