[CPA] Online Classes?

zodie

Veteran XX
does anyone on TW have experience with taking online classes in an effort to become a CPA?

i just graduated with a degree in business econ, and the degree alone isn't cutting it. i'm tired of looking through pages of accounting jobs.

any recommendations?

Must suck to waste so much money on bullshit degrees

nah

there are a lot of opportunities out there

i just don't have the GPA or experience necessary, so it did suck to spend a lot of money but not maximize the opportunity

luckily certification is a good indicator that you're competent, which is why i'm looking to do it

ugh dude just go to a real college get the major then get the masters and take the test

its 5 years total if you area already an accounting major graduated another year for masters and cpa test, most schools its a 5 year program then cpa exam afterwards

online is a total joke

so you're telling me i should do college all over again just to get an accounting major?

if i were SERIOUSLY inclined i could go back and just get the minor +2 more classes at uc irvine and have the credits necessary to take the exam in california

but if i can do it online i would obviously rather do that

Uh... if you want a job to take you seriously, I would go to a real 4 year degree, complete the necessary credits (it shouldn't be much if you already have a business related degree..), and sit for the test.

I work for a major west coast accounting firm, albeit in the consulting division, and I know we wouldn't hire a CPA that got certified online, but that's just my two cents.

okay people, i'm talking about taking classes online and sitting for the exam in real life with all of the people who have majors or minors in accounting

sorry if that wasn't clear

so you're telling me i should do college all over again just to get an accounting major?

if i were SERIOUSLY inclined i could go back and just get the minor +2 more classes at uc irvine and have the credits necessary to take the exam in california

but if i can do it online i would obviously rather do that

do you honestly think that you would be picked over people that actually studied and wasted 4-5 years of their life at college if it was that easy everyone would just study and take bar exams and cpa exams wtf

okay people, i'm talking about taking classes online and sitting for the exam in real life with all of the people who have majors or minors in accounting

sorry if that wasn't clear

you won't get hired anywhere have fun

no i am no an idiot, i do realize that any big time firm (see: the big 4) would choose an accounting minor from UCLA with a 3.5+ over me

but at the same time i feel like the certification would definitely help my chances in landing a strong job somewhere. this is just an idea i'm throwing around, and i was just wondering if anyone else had done it online

thank you for your worthless opinion though, creep

no i am no an idiot, i do realize that any big time firm (see: the big 4) would choose an accounting minor from UCLA with a 3.5+ over me

but at the same time i feel like the certification would definitely help my chances in landing a strong job somewhere. this is just an idea i'm throwing around, and i was just wondering if anyone else had done it online

thank you for your worthless opinion though, creep

how would passing a cpa exam really help you elsewhere without you having done any other accounting work it would just be random on your resume

im actually in accounting major i think i'd know, I am doubtful if youd even be able to pass the exam without some coursework

i don't really get why taking classes to qualify for the CPA online will make a big difference, it's not like that will show up on your resumé, i think you've got the right idea.

(isn't there a work requirement, though? some friends of mine on the CPA route mentioned something about having to work under a CPA for two years or something)

I've been thinking about going back to school for accounting so I can take over my Dad's business. It'd be nice, he has an awesome client list already. Hrmm, I really should do it.

kittycreep: hello there again
i am looking into taking "classes" (synonymous with: courses) in accounting online

seeing as even sitting for the CPA exam in california requires coursework, no shit i would have to take some

therefore, i am seeing if taking these courses online is a reasonable option

please die in a ditch

*edit: there is also no work requirement to sit for the CPA in california (hurray!) but thanks for the heads up anyway mojo

No, there is no work requirement, but it's recommended.

And to be honest, while your GPA etc is definitely a factor, people put to much emphasis on it. As I said, I got hired into a major (top 10) accounting firm, and had shit all of a GPA (relative to the people I was interviewing against). Luckily, vs the majority of the competition in the finance/accounting world, if you have a good personality and good people skills, you stand out like crazy.

Interview well and you will get hired. Seriously.

Back