[computer] Budget build Help

ok, I lied. It's $18 more.

Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar SE WD2500AAJS 250GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

As for the RAM, as long as both say DDR2 and the RAM is equal to or slower than the speed rated on the motherboard, you're golden. The 1066 speed is the MAXIMUM RAM speed supported. You can still run 667Mhz RAM without incident.

That HD looks good, and I have a WD in my current box so I'd lean toward one of these drives, but what is the difference between SATA and the UltraATA I selected with my build??

Ultra ATA uses a big fat ribbon cable
ide_cable.png

SATA uses a thin, sexy cable
sata_cable.jpg

SATA is the new technology. While it's capable of transferring at higher speeds, hard drives don't really benefit from it. The ease of installation and airflow benefits make SATA much better still though.

Plus, your motherboard is so cheap that it probably only comes with one IDE cable and one SATA cable. Since you chose an IDE dvd drive, you should definitely go with a SATA hard drive if you don't normally have spare cables floating around.

Personally, I'd say to go SATA on both your optical and hard drive, but that's because I have easy access to tons of extra cables.

Download and look at the QVL from the product page: ASUSTeK Computer Inc.

It isn't worth the headache to playing Russian roulette with memory.

Hey, I'm looking at the QVL.. but I'm not sure what that means. Are those the only memory sticks tested with the mobo that are sure to work? I see OCZ are tested and qualified for the 1066, not for the 667, does that mean that by getting those sticks of memory I'm risking them not working?

The chances of snagging RAM and a motherboard that are incompatible are pretty low normally. I've seen it before, but it doesn't happen a lot. You're probably safe with what you chose. And if not, you'll notice it quickly when the system constantly crashes and you can return the RAM for something different.

Ultra ATA uses a big fat ribbon cable
ide_cable.png

SATA uses a thin, sexy cable
sata_cable.jpg

SATA is the new technology. While it's capable of transferring at higher speeds, hard drives don't really benefit from it. The ease of installation and airflow benefits make SATA much better still though.

Plus, your motherboard is so cheap that it probably only comes with one IDE cable and one SATA cable. Since you chose an IDE dvd drive, you should definitely go with a SATA hard drive if you don't normally have spare cables floating around.

Personally, I'd say to go SATA on both your optical and hard drive, but that's because I have easy access to tons of extra cables.

cool, thanks man. I'm about to make the switch to the WD you recommended, but because it is OEM it doesn't come with the SATA cable.. would my mobo come with this cable typically, or is this something I need to worry about buying seperatly?

cool, thanks man. I'm about to make the switch to the WD you recommended, but because it is OEM it doesn't come with the SATA cable.. would my mobo come with this cable typically, or is this something I need to worry about buying seperatly?

Your motherboard comes with this:
13-131-249-07.jpg

You get one SATA cable and one IDE cable. So you will definitely want a SATA hard drive and an IDE dvd drive.

:heart: I think I'm all set, thank you :)

I'll buy this for her tomorrow, should have it put together by next weekend :sunny:

Hey, I'm looking at the QVL.. but I'm not sure what that means. Are those the only memory sticks tested with the mobo that are sure to work? I see OCZ are tested and qualified for the 1066, not for the 667, does that mean that by getting those sticks of memory I'm risking them not working?

Yes, those listed are sure to work. This isn't to say that what you picked won't, but those listed will for sure.

k so, I'm about to buy everything.. The cpu is sold out on newegg so i'm buying it for 5 bucks more on buy.com

any other suggestions or advise, buddies? :D

Okay, Got all of the computer components, now I'm trying to pick a monitor out...

Any advise on a good 19" lcd? The Dell 1908WFP seems to be pretty weak in reviews, with people reporting bad text display quality

on a budget? Get whatever is cheapest. Beggars can't be choosers. Pretty much all the small, budget LCDs are going to have the same shitty quality that will be fine for web surfing.

Back