[computer] Budget build Help

Hit

Contributor
Veteran XV
K so,

I'm putting together a new box for my girlie, who has some antique POS that she uses for web surfing and doing word processing on. She wants to spend at or under $300, for which I've managed to put together what seems to be a pretty decent box. Please critique and give any inputs, etc... This is only the second box I'm going to be putting together.

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Brisbane 2.5GHz Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Processor Model ADO4800DOBOX - Retail // $77.99

Mobo: ASUS M2N-MX SE Plus AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 6100 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail // $49.99

Ram: OCZ Value Series 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ26672048VDC-K - Retail // $46.99

HD: [strike]Western Digital Caviar SE WD800JB 80GB 7200 RPM IDE Ultra ATA100 Hard Drive - OEM // $39.99[/strike] Western Digital Caviar SE WD2500AAJS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM 57.99

CD: [strike]LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model LH-20A1L-06 - Retail // $37.99 [/strike] Pioneer 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black IDE Model DVR-115DBK - OEM // $29.99

Case: [strike]Rosewill R103A Black SGCC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 350W Power Supply - Retail // $29.99[/strike] ASUS TA-853 (generic) Black/ White Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 350W Power Supply - Retail // 49.99

Total: $312.94

Now, few questions and immediate concerns: Will the 350W power supply with the case be sufficient?
Will all of these parts work together??
Am I forgetting anything??

Last edited:
yeah It's within her price range so I figured why not go 2GB?
I just found out the case doesn't come with fans, so I may change that up... but in general, would a 350W supply be sufficient for this build?

Yeah might as well have it. If they go Vista it will be needed.

I just found out the case doesn't come with fans, so I may change that up... but in general, would a 350W supply be sufficient for this build?

It is pushing it, but take a look at what the name brands are using lately. Its around the same so it can do it.

ASUS TA-853 (generic) Black/ White Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 350W Power Supply - Retail

I'm switching the case to this, it's 20 bucks more.. But I think Asus should be a trustworthy name, and hopefully the 350W would be enough to supply the power :>

*edit* and it has a fan lol

to be honest i've really rethought the whole small end pc build. if shes not going to do any gaming or any CPU intense things. there isnt a need for any fans if the case is spacious enough.

heat comes from HDD video card CPU and PSU

i've had a server with 3HDDs a athlon 64 single core CPU and onboard video under my desk chugging away for the last 3 years. it gets kinda warm but the AC is enough to offset any sort of heat.

I swapped the dvd burner for a higher rated (and slightly cheaper one) too..

hopefully all of the components will work together :X

hey guys also is there any reason why the mobo, processor, and ram would be incompatible??

I swapped the dvd burner for a higher rated (and slightly cheaper one) too..

hopefully all of the components will work together :X

i dont know why they wouldn't. if you have any hiccup newegg.com's return policy is amazing.

hey guys also is there any reason why the mobo, processor, and ram would be incompatible??

if you want to make solid sure. look at the mobo manufactures website and look to see if they have 'recommended" memory.

I've been bulding computers for 10 years. in this whole time i have had only one problem where corsair memory didnt work with an asus mobo. and apparently it was a widely known problem that i was unaware of.

350W of a decent brand power supply is more than enough. I've seen much beefier systems run on that much before.

Is $80 for a case and psu too much for you? If not, I'd totally recommend this guy for your build:

Newegg.com - Antec NSK4480 Black/ Silver 0.8mm cold-rolled steel construction ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 380W Power Supply - Computer Cases

edit: Also, seriously, spend the extra $10 and get a 250GB drive. With an 80GB drive, you're limiting her pretty much ONLY to web surfing. Anything more and the drive will get filled up too quickly.

350W of a decent brand power supply is more than enough. I've seen much beefier systems run on that much before.

Is $80 for a case and psu too much for you? If not, I'd totally recommend this guy for your build:

Newegg.com - Antec NSK4480 Black/ Silver 0.8mm cold-rolled steel construction ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 380W Power Supply - Computer Cases

edit: Also, seriously, spend the extra $10 and get a 250GB drive. With an 80GB drive, you're limiting her pretty much ONLY to web surfing. Anything more and the drive will get filled up too quickly.

I think an 80GB drive is more then enough for her.. But uhh, if its for the same performance specs, link me to a decent 250GB for $10 more.. That's not a bad deal.

Also, I think the 80$ case is a bit excessive for her.. that would be almost a 1/3rd of the damn computer price.

Hey... As for the RAM.. I'm comparing specs now (and I'm not exactly sure what it means) and the mobo says it requires: Number of Memory Slots 2×240pin
Memory Standard DDR2 1066

While the RAM I selected states Speed 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5400) ..
So uhh, the MOBO states DDR 1066 and the RAM I have selected is DDR2 667.

What does that mean? Are they compatible??

Well I have that Pioneer DVD burner, it replaced a $120 piece of utter crap Plextor. I had a pioneer before the plextor and it was rock solid, so is the 115D. You won't be disappointed.

As for hard drive, I'd go with: Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3160815A 160GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache IDE Ultra ATA100 Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

There is a SATA version as well: Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3160815AS 160GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

Hey... As for the RAM.. I'm comparing specs now (and I'm not exactly sure what it means) and the mobo says it requires: Number of Memory Slots 2×240pin
Memory Standard DDR2 1066

While the RAM I selected states Speed 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5400) ..
So uhh, the MOBO states DDR 1066 and the RAM I have selected is DDR2 667.

What does that mean? Are they compatible??

Download and look at the QVL from the product page: ASUSTeK Computer Inc.

It isn't worth the headache to playing Russian roulette with memory.

Back