[Comcast Xfinity]Rent or Buy Modem/Router

had my own linksys modem for over 8 years. 2 years ago my internet kept crapping out, so I got a new Motorola DOCSIS 3.0. I figured it was the cable modem. Nope, it was fucking idiots at comcast who cant wire a house for internet. But I have had no problems and since the modems I bought are supported by comcast, they dont give me shit if I ever have internet problems.

Currently renting the modem. I probably should buy. But every year or so my connection goes crappy and they have to send someone out the replace some filter or the modem or often both. I feel like if it was my own modem they would point their fingers at that and it would take longer to get things fixed.

Until I moved to a fios area, I had been using the same purchased cable modem for easily 4+ years. Then, I was able to sell it for $40. Renting is stupid.

anyone have Comcast X1 yet? They just released it in Baltimore...but I currently have a cable card + tivo. wondering if it's worth switching back to the comcast dvr

i haven't read the thread but i bought a modem a couple of years ago for like $70 and haven't had to rent one since. Saves a lot of money.

have a 6121 and got 50 down from Comcast when I had them

get the same with my current cable co.

what benefit do the new models offer?

8x4 bonding is good for speeds beyond around 100M

technically, according to specs 6120 will do around 160M but that'll never happen in reality

it's just future-proofing

(my ISP offers 150/10 and won't allow 4x4 modems on it, for example)

edit: also not a great idea to buy a discontinued product imo

Last edited:
i always buy the modem. fuck paying $7 a month, you guys are nuts.

Yep, I don't get the big deal. Have Amazon overnight you one if it dies. Still cheaper than paying a monthly fee.

I bought the exact same make and model they were renting me and haven't had an issue.

Currently renting the modem. I probably should buy. But every year or so my connection goes crappy and they have to send someone out the replace some filter or the modem or often both. I feel like if it was my own modem they would point their fingers at that and it would take longer to get things fixed.

I have my own modem for years. Every time I called about shitty or no Internet connection they never blamed my modem

I have a moto surfboard and a nice buffalo router.

All mine.

I bought the modem as I was tired of having their modems die every 6 months.

I have had Comcast twice in the past 3 years. I moved to a different apartment so I set up new service to take advantage of the new customer deals. When I disconnected though, Comcast said I didnt return the modem I was renting from them. Which was strange because I owned my modem. It was a huge headache and they took a week to "investigate" whether my modem belonged to me or not. Needless to say, they figured out it was mine and they dropped it. However, when I went to setup new service in my new apartment, "mysteriously" my modem no longer worked. I knew it was because they fucked with my mac address in their system but they wouldnt budge and suggested I rent a modem. So, I went out and bought a surfboard from amazon and set it up with that.

Then, I moved to Colorado a year later, and once again when I disconnected they tried to say I stole their modem. Fucking bullshit. Dont rent from them, but dont be surprised if they say the modem you own is their property.

thx for suggestions in this thread bros

just upgraded my shit dsl from 1.5 to comcast 50 + my own gear of course (moto modem + asus wifi router)

still lame how skorea and japan get like 150mbs at 3x lower price

Back