[Comcast Xfinity]Rent or Buy Modem/Router

Skibbi9

Contributor
Veteran XX
So we're moving and our only option is comcast xfinity, seems like we've got a good package for 50mbit service and TV.

The Rental is 7bucks a month for their docsis 3.0 modem + router (they call it an ip gateway or something)

Better to use that (do we still likely need a wireless N router w/ that?) or just buy some cable modem and wireless N router to go with it?

TIA

well since i've had comcast, i've had 2 modems go out on me. no charge for replacement...so even though you save money in the long run by buying, keep in mind if the cable modem goes out, you need to buy a new one.

I have Time Warner but I bought my own modem and they warned me that it was unsupported! I've never had so much as a hiccup.

They should tell you on their website which modems are supported, then to on Amazon or similar and look at prices. Buying your own will usually pay for itself in less than a year.

been using a 3.0 motorola modem I bought years ago with Comcast with zero issues

got the thing for like 65 bucks so it's more than paid for itself

renting modems is a terrible idea.

Hey fun fact, if you take on their wireless gateway you are also putting up a Comcast wireless hotspot

I bought my Motorola modem from Comcast and purchased my own router. The LAN equipment should always be your property.

sounds good. I'll most likely just get a docsis 3 surfboard modem (since they only seem to offer the combo thingy) and some new wireless n router.

i've owned my cable modem (motorola surfboard) for more than six or seven years. it's still docsis 2.0 i think, but it's a beast. i've been using it on my xfinity for the past six months or so and it still works flawlessly.

one thing i will say: in my old apartment, the only non-dialup internet i could get was verizon dsl. obviously, the service was garbage, but worse, their modems which you must use failed REGULARLY every six months. i had to replace the modem maybe eight times over four years. and each time, it was like a month of no service waiting for their tech support to admit that it was their garbage modems -- again.

buying a piece of hardware that isn't crap, whose functions you control, is definitely worth the price.

I've been using the same Motorola Surfboard since 2006. Never had any problems that weren't cause by Comcast line issues.

I have Time Warner but I bought my own modem and they warned me that it was unsupported! I've never had so much as a hiccup.

They should tell you on their website which modems are supported, then to on Amazon or similar and look at prices. Buying your own will usually pay for itself in less than a year.

But if your internet ever goes down and you call to bitch at them to fix something, they'll just say its your unsupported modem every time.

But if your internet ever goes down and you call to bitch at them to fix something, they'll just say its your unsupported modem every time.

This is pretty much what I ran into and a big reason that I just rent it. Heck, they were even right once.

comcast is trash they fuk me g00d

i pay top dollar 4 their service it go out all the time doesnt support my consoles etc

I wanted to get my own but they told my wife (i refuse to deal with comcast) if we got the phone service that we had to rent the box. So we did.

Back