[CARZ LOL] Just took a few pics of the Soarer

He's Australian and seems to be well connected. Does this engine still have the same ridiculous turbo lag as the Supra? Or are they the same engine?

Again, to note: Japanese motors are not my forte.

i always thought the SC400 might've been an abandoned Supra prototype. Not saying it is, just saying it always looked like the closest thing to it.

Gecko, may I enquire as you why you chose an automatic over manual?

Is this your daily driver?

Yep, daily driver. I bought this car because I assess & pay claims for a mechanical warranty company. I don't pay claims on these unless they have been neglected or abused. I do a lot of research before I buy big ticket items.

The auto does perform better than the manual on these cars, for a number of reasons. The bottom line is that the manual version is a bit of a trial to drive and doesn't behave as nice as the Auto. The auto in this car is incredibly strong and reliable. This bloke tests cars for Bentley and Jaguar, here's what he has to say about the TT Auto:

Now when the Engine turns the output goes directly to the Hydrodynamic Torque converter, the most important parts are the three elements known as the Impeller, the Stator and the Turbine. The whole thing works as follows; the Output from the Engine goes directly to the Impeller, which circulates the hydraulic medium in its casing this fluid has an energy value. The Turbine is connected to the rear wheels which at this time are stationery and as 1st gear is hydraulically selected the turbine slows to about ½ the Impeller speed and the torque is doubled the natural inclination is for the 2 to equalise there rotation speeds and so as the car revs a little the Turbine plays catch-up and as it nears the parity point, the box ups the gear ratio (2nd) and the Turbine plays catch-up again and again the torque is doubled until parity is reached and so it goes. The Stators job is to re-circulate the hydraulic medium and as it also speeds up to the Impeller it eventually reaches a state of 'free wheeling' and the lock-up clutch is activated which 'ties' the Impeller and Turbine together. Our cars and almost all other Auto's use a Fottinger Centripetal system which is designed to give a Torque conversion anywhere between 1.9 - 2.5 to One, the simple fact is that this system will always take into account the loads imposed without any interference and do it about as well as is possible.

That O/D ON/OFF what does that do?

That little switch saves the engine from having to maintain high rev's when we travel at high speed, it is just another gear, but in stead of having all the gears ready for selection (which drains power from the Engine) only the 3 main gears are pre-readied. That means less power is absorbed by the change mechanism which is much smaller than that fitted to a 5 speed Auto', so more power gets to the wheels, this explains why I like the present 'box. The in gear power delivery is stronger as the change up points are further apart and the change system is more efficient. Also the change down from cruising is large enough to make a real difference the shift down from O/D to 3rd is quite a lot bigger than that from 5th to 4th and it is a simple switch out if you want meaning the power jump is instant, quicker than any Auto's hydrochange into 4th and if you switch out at the right moment you get a little bit of Torque multiplication as well, try this out, the effect can be quite amusing!

That switch with PWR/ECT on it, what does that do?

Well if you think about the above you notice that at some point the Torque from the Engine must be such that the resistance at the from the wheels drops below that being taken from the Engine and the Turbine accelerates quickly, this activates the gear change forcing the Engine to pull harder on a higher ratio and so progress through the 'box is achieved. That is great for economy but it means that the car will not go to the red line, or anywhere near it (unless we are on a steep incline), so we have that switch. This is what it does; it holds on to the gears until a certain RPM is attained, it makes the gears direct by locking the Impeller to the Turbine until the next gear is selected, and then it holds that to a predefined limit also, in this mode the Soarer in TT guise is quite astonishing. One can also manually select 1st or 2nd so as to do a final trick, select first, hold the car on the brakes and rev-up to about 2000RPM, release the brakes and put the pedal to the metal, change up at about 6500RPM without taking your foot off the accelerator and do it again changing up to 'D' without the overdrive in at 6500RPM, switch in the overdrive at about 4000RPM it wont come in until 6200RPM by which time you are doing about 120MPH and you would have made your heart thump fiercely in your chest, but keep going, don't take your foot off the loud pedal, take her to 160MPH I've done it and the TT loves it.

This is Race Track stuff, and the Highways are not the place to do that sort of thing.

He's Australian and seems to be well connected. Does this engine still have the same ridiculous turbo lag as the Supra? Or are they the same engine?

Again, to note: Japanese motors are not my forte.

The MKIV Supra had no turbo lag except the US version - the sequential setup meant that the small turbo was boosting from about 1300 - 1500RPM. The 1JZ-GTE in the Soarer has true twin turbos, ct12a's in parallel, so yes there is lag there but not a lot because the Ceramic Turbine 12a was designed to spin up faster because the exhaust side turbine was a lightweight ceramic and the compressor side was steel. The US version of the Supra had all steel turbines on the turbos and therefore did have lag.

The limitation is though that the ceramic turbines need to be looked after a lot more carefully and cannot handle any more than 12 - 15PSI or the blades tend to delaminate and disappear down the dump pipe :lol:

The 1JZ-GTE is a very special motor, superior IMHO than the 2JZ-GTE in that it delivers fucktons of torque and accelleration over a very wide powerband where the 2JZ does not. The only thing the 2JZ does better is net horsepower potential. Great at the drags but IRL the 1JZ has it beat and has incredible HP potential in it's own right.

Last edited:
Very interesting.

See, every Supra around here is always modded and upgraded, and what have you. They put out oodles of HP but don't even spool until 4k on average.

Very interesting.

See, every Supra around here is always modded and upgraded, and what have you. They put out oodles of HP but don't even spool until 4k on average.

Ugh, depends all on the Turbo that's because most people put a huge single or two huge twins for dragging and don't care about street use. If you keep it in the 600HP range on a single turbo lag can be reduced and it can still be a beast on the street. Check out SoundPerformance for some more modern turbo designs on Supras.

Ugh, depends all on the Turbo that's because most people put a huge single or two huge twins for dragging and don't care about street use. If you keep it in the 600HP range on a single turbo lag can be reduced and it can still be a beast on the street. Check out SoundPerformance for some more modern turbo designs on Supras.

Perzactly!

Everything is a trade off and silly fucks with more money than sense regularly sacrifice overall performance for top end power.

Who cares about fucking off the line performance. Soarer's are fucking awesome drift cars.

Pretty weak that it's an auto :disgust:

No point in having it really.

Project seriously, your an idiot and you set your posts up to be flamed. Please tell me you are being sarcastic.

240sx and miata drifting is fun, but not everyone wants to do it and stop posting it everything OMG MAKE it drift it's stupid and makes you look like a ricer kid.

Project seriously, your an idiot and you set your posts up to be flamed. Please tell me you are being sarcastic.

240sx and miata drifting is fun, but not everyone wants to do it and stop posting it everything OMG MAKE it drift it's stupid and makes you look like a ricer kid.

???

I'm simply saying it's a fucking drift car, nothing else.

If you aren't goingto use it for drifting (which he can't, it's an automatic) it's just a poor mans wannabe luxury vehicle, because it's old.

???

I'm simply saying it's a fucking drift car, nothing else.

If you aren't goingto use it for drifting (which he can't, it's an automatic) it's just a poor mans wannabe luxury vehicle, because it's old.

You once owned a 3000GT? A poor mans FWD wananbe japanse high performance car. Talk about being a poser. Not only was your car unreliable, FWD, and ugly, it was also slow and powered by a 160 or 222HP v6 pulling around 3300+ lbs.

As opposed to using an MX-5 to attract same sex partners?
So I drift and autocross my car, and you flame me?

:lol: Yet you drive a fucking faggot rhd automatic soarer and think it's the shit. YOU HAVE A RHD GROCERY GETTER CONGRATS YOU'RE JDM 2 THA MAXX!!11

You once owned a 3000GT? A poor mans FWD wananbe japanse high performance car. Talk about being a poser.
I owned it because it was cheap and was a nice car for a while (temp car), but yes it wasn't that great of a car overall, and it was a PAIN in the fucking ass to work on, so I sold it. I fail to see the issue.

Back