car gurus - quickest thing I can get for $10k?

this needs to be done

maxx.jpg

TonyElTigre said:
datsun 510 coupe

ford 9inch rear end

rb26dett
fuck, you'll never blow up a 9" with a 4 banger. might as well even go with a toyota 8", easier to find and nearly as much aftermarket.

don't know too much about that motor though, i'd just swap an L20 in with dual sidedraft carbs, some port and polish work and a hot cam and call it good :)

-]DoW[-RedDeath said:
fuck, you'll never blow up a 9" with a 4 banger. might as well even go with a toyota 8", easier to find and nearly as much aftermarket.

don't know too much about that motor though, i'd just swap an L20 in with dual sidedraft carbs, some port and polish work and a hot cam and call it good :)

that would be a twin turbo straight 6, and yes you wouldnt blow a 9 inch with it which is why you would use it. Its the motor used in the skyline which you can buy pretty cheap from Japan.

Well what are you looking for? Like something that you can speed around town in but enjoy? Something only for weekend cruises/races? Something that still needs to get you to work? Where do you live (climate)? You can't very well offer the guy to spend all of his money on a corvette or mustang and find out he lives in Maine. Do you like convertibles? Interior comfort? New gadgets? What style are you?

There is a LOT to buying a car that lots of people don't realize. A car is a reflection of who you are and what you represent; buying the wrong one is just tacky.

In other news an early-90s BMW M3 would provide you with EVERYTHING you needed, and still look pretty slick and be comfortable. Insurance would be no more than a corvette, and it'll handle all climates. Hey, for about 20k you could get a 1990 Porsche 911 :p

I mean why fuck around with a classic musclecar if you're not into that?

Older VW GTIs are also a LOT of fun, especially if you have a lot of rain/snow. They make really nice suburb racers, and can be a blast messing around in bad weather.

Also dont get a Motorcycle, that's the most stupid advice you could give someone. Unless you can walk to the grocery store, and live in amazing weather, and have no girlfriend and your friends have cars, it's a waste of time. If you want a hobby, pick one up. But dont rely on it as a sole means.

I want something to drive normally, and just a lot of fun really. Quick mostly. It'd be in Minnesota, so a corvette is really not my best bet, no matter how cheap it is. Convertibles I generally don't like. GTI's pretty much fit what I want, they're kind of doofy looking though. It's tough to get an M3 in decent condition for under 18k - no matter how far back you go.

Quick, awd, $10k is a hard deal to satisfy and FWD is the antithesis of "just a lot of fun really".
Answer...eh...er...hmmm

Jeep Wrangler with 150 shot.

I have a 98 z28 A4. It ran 13.5 stock. I paid $6800 for it.

You can get a 98 z28 M6 (manual 6 speed) which will run anywhere from ~12.8-13.5 stock for probably a little cheaper.

With the other $3k you could have it running probably high 10s low 11's in the quarter, depening on what you do.

Stock engine can take 125 shot and be safe, you could add long tubes and an offroad Y pipe.

These things are very fast stock, and will beat almost any car on the market for anywhere near the price. Not to mention it's a 98, so its pretty new, has a very modern (LS1, corvette engine basically), and they are quite comfy.

http://www.mindmod.com/media/thumbnails.php?album=3

Thats mine if you don't know what they look like.

Also, the interior is pretty nice.

Good luck with whatever you buy.

Scourge said:
I want something to drive normally, and just a lot of fun really. Quick mostly. It'd be in Minnesota, so a corvette is really not my best bet, no matter how cheap it is. Convertibles I generally don't like. GTI's pretty much fit what I want, they're kind of doofy looking though. It's tough to get an M3 in decent condition for under 18k - no matter how far back you go.
I would definitely recommend NOT getting a GTI or any older VW for that matter. Why? Their reliability is shit. And no, I'm not saying it because it's a stereo type and I heard it on the internet, I have several friends with VW's that have had nothing but problems with them. One has a rabbit with a 16valve 2.0 swapped and hes spent a few grand just getting it to run right, the other with an early 90's GTI always runs like shit. They are fun cars to drive and ride in but overall not worth the trouble... plus their interiors suck.

E36 M3's are nice, and you actually can find them for 13-16k (or are we talking canadian?). If you could find/afford one I think it would be a great choice, bu tI would warn you that maintainence is fairly pricey on them and any that you find for that price will have high milage.

I would recommend something japanese as being a practical solution to your situation. I do know what kind of cars you like or where you draw your lines, but I would look at maybe a '94+ Integra GSR (keep it clean and you won't look like a ricer). They're quick, practical, reliable. If not that, maybe an N/A MK4 Supra, you can pick up a good one for that price. People will hate on you for getting an N/A but they're fairly quick (200hp), plus they look good and are reliable. On top of all that, if you don't mind having the work done, I'd possibly look at a 240sx and get an SR20DET swap or find one that has already had it done.

Just a few suggestions, :shrug:

evilbadz said:
I have a 98 z28 A4. It ran 13.5 stock. I paid $6800 for it.

You can get a 98 z28 M6 (manual 6 speed) which will run anywhere from ~12.8-13.5 stock for probably a little cheaper.

With the other $3k you could have it running probably high 10s low 11's in the quarter, depening on what you do.

Stock engine can take 125 shot and be safe, you could add long tubes and an offroad Y pipe.

These things are very fast stock, and will beat almost any car on the market for anywhere near the price. Not to mention it's a 98, so its pretty new, has a very modern (LS1, corvette engine basically), and they are quite comfy.

http://www.mindmod.com/media/thumbnails.php?album=3

Thats mine if you don't know what they look like.

Also, the interior is pretty nice.

Good luck with whatever you buy.
:bigthumb: LS1 F-bods are badass. For the money, if you're looking the literally the QUICKEST car you can get for the price, this would probably be THE car. Either that or a 5.0 mustang w/ mods but I'm not a Ford guy.. :wink:

LS1 has great reliability too. The only drawback with this car is RWD (winter driving negative, but always better in the dry :) ), fuel milage (actually gets pretty good milage if you don't stomp on it all the time), and some people don't like plastic(y) american interiors but personally it doesnt bug me.

{YDG}Snipes said:
:bigthumb: LS1 F-bods are badass. For the money, if you're looking the literally the QUICKEST car you can get for the price, this would probably be THE car. Either that or a 5.0 mustang w/ mods but I'm not a Ford guy.. :wink:

LS1 has great reliability too. The only drawback with this car is RWD (winter driving negative, but always better in the dry :) ), fuel milage (actually gets pretty good milage if you don't stomp on it all the time), and some people don't like plastic(y) american interiors but personally it doesnt bug me.

I like mustangs too, the front ends are nice. Which is usually all I see of them ;D

Nah, mustangs are badass. I just dont know of any that are as quick for the money as the Camaros/Firebirds during those years. My car has ASR (traction control), so its not bad to drive even here in Louisiana (rain every other day). Plus you can turn if off when racing so its free to spin all you want.

I really dont know of any other car that can match it for the price, and I'm not saying that because I own one. I have no bias towards chevy. If they sold a civic that did low 13s in the quarter stock for the same price.. hell.. I might buy one.

Back