Car accident: Need legal opinion

Tatiyana

Veteran X
Another accident thread....

2 weeks ago this past Sunday, my husband and I were out in a company car to look at a house and put an offer in on it. Part of his job description is to drive a car 500 miles over 7 days to learn the car. He gets a different car every 5 to 6 weeks or so. This happened to be his week, so we were in that car.

We were stopped in traffic at a stop sign. I hear my husband say "Oh shit!!!" I look over to the side view mirror and I see a car as it hit us. She fully admitted she wasn't paying attention, she was talking to her kid in the backseat, and hit us at about 40mph and never hit the brakes. Her car was totaled, the company vehicle was damaged but not significantly so. I was taken by ambulance to the hospital because my neck was hurting pretty much immediately. My husband drove the car to the hospital and also got checked out. I basically have whiplash, and my husband has probably a torn rotator cuff from the accident. The accident happened in NJ.

The legal advice I need: Obviously the issue of the car is non existent since it wasn't our car. Medical bills were sent to the insurance company for Mercedes Benz (the company car) once we got the claim number. I was told 2 days ago that since NJ is a no fault state, her insurance was not liable for the medical bills. I knew this. We are looking to sue for loss of wages (husband needs surgery and already has used much of his short term disability for the year, so he would be dropped to 75% pay), and for pain and suffering (the torn rotator cuff, as well as increasing the time it took for his hernia repair and laproscopy to heal, which had occurred about 4 weeks before the accident). What I need to know is: Do we go through the company insurance, or does this need to be reported to our insurance, and medical bills and such go through them, as well as the ability to sue?

The confusion lies in the fact that although we were out on personal matters, we in a company car for which his job description is to drive the vehicle for the 500 miles. It's basically for training purposes, which I would considered business use, no matter what we were actually going to do.

So, which insurance do we go through (Mercedes or our own)?

We've already been in contact with a lawyer who gave his statement on this, but he did not have all the facts about it before he made that statement. We need clarification before we move ahead (since we need to call our insurance company within the next few days since it will be 21 days shortly if that is the case).

Thanks for the help.

http://home.comcast.net/~gbuc3709/IMAGE_098.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~gbuc3709/IMAGE_099.jpg

Last edited:
Workers comp. Injured on the job :eek:

I would consult with your insurance company and your husband's insurance company and let them tell you who to use.

i hope you get reamed for driving the company car for personal use

its also too bad you didnt have any children brutally killed in this accident

don't take the company car out for personal use you fucking whore

It's his job. He's given a car to drive 500 miles in to learn the vehicle. He deals directly with customers and needs to be familiar with the vehicles to assist them (he's a supervisor of the Customer Assistance Center). He is not supposed to only drive it to work and back.

you need to report it to both insurances and why the fuck were you driving the car you stupid fat whore. no wonder merlock gave you that black eye learn how to listen for once, bitch.

you need to report it to both insurances and why the fuck were you driving the car you stupid fat whore. no wonder merlock gave you that black eye learn how to listen for once, bitch.

I wasn't driving the car, my husband was. However, since I live with him, married to him, and my driver's license is on file with the company, I am allowed to drive the car as well, with or without my husband present, and would be covered under their insurance.

So, in reporting it to our insurance company, we have to base our rights to sue for damages on our insurance? Since we have the limited tort option on our personal insurance, we will have a harder time. However, if we go through Mercedes Benz insurance, they don't have the limited tort. This makes a big difference as well.

Last edited:
tatiyana the way it works is your insurance pays out then they sue the other insurance and collect from them

welcome to the real world

tatiyana the way it works is your insurance pays out then they sue the other insurance and collect from them

welcome to the real world

In NJ, my understanding of it is that her insurance company is not liable for medical bills.

So we are supposed to claim under our personal insurance, or under Mercedes Insurance? Reason I ask is we have gotten different answers from different people in regards to this.

Back