Behind the Scenes of Dogfights on the History Channel

hey DM - another thing that's kind of annoying is when they show the dude "out of missles" he still has a full rack in the CGI. Nit picky, but it kind of takes out out of the experience... I wonder if you'll show Nazi aces? That might be a little controversial, right? On the flip side of controversy (although probably less so, for whatever stupid reason) would be cool to see some Yom Kippur War or Six Day War stuff.

As for the missles and such, it bugs the VFX staff too. Its mostly due to shots being swapped in where they werent animated for(different segment/pilot) and the writing.

As for showing nazi aces, I highly doubt it.

Kura, I printed up what you posted and handed it to my boss. So we'll see what happens.

There is an non amercian show coming up at the end of the 1st season. They are also looking into more for the 2nd season.

You can just have some "cool" guy going over those, like Oliver North does on "War Stories". Some ACE combat dude. Problem solved

Last edited:
I've caught a few episodes of Dogfights, usually in the middle of the night when I'm cruising around the channels looking for something.

It seems like a good show, they actually describe a fair amount of the important stuff that newbs wouldn't know about, but it could use more of that. I also agree with Kurayami that it focuses on the US too much, as the "good guys" are always American and the "bad guys" are always one of the usual suspects. It'd be nice to see some focusing on some foreign pilots, although not neccesarily fighting against Americans.

I should be more clear in my language - not Nazi aces - I suppose they weren't all Nazis. I guess I really meant Luftwaffe aces... ;)

The show may not be as in depth as uber military nerds would like, but it's not meant to be. What I really like about it is learning about the Vietnam aces and how their experience relates to our modern airforce. Early missle armed jet combat, etc... facinating stuff... :)

ive seen it ... its really good. The one on vietnam was excellent. Randy "Duke" Cunningham - USN ace.

I watched that one a while ago. He was like a real life John Wayne - seemed pretty badass.

Then like two weeks later Cunningham was on TV crying because he was on his way to jail, because he was a congressman and received bribes. Sooo disappointing.

Back