[Any tips] Studying for A+ Cert

I tell everyone that google solves 90% of my issues however I earn my salary on the other 10%. That is the problem with hiring tech people. It is what happens the other 10% of the time that is most important.

Being good at your job is not about knowing all the answers. It's about knowing where to go for the answers you don't know.

that would be the 90% google, although, it seems knowing what to type in the search box seems to be a skill in itself. The other 10% there is nowhere to look and find the answer, you got to figure it out yourself.

I had a nasty SCCM Client install loop the other day that I swear no one in the world has had before. I chased it through COM until I discovered a missing vb runtime dll.

And last week, the outsourcing company hired to replace me at the end of this month proclaimed that we had a trojan outbreak and that every machine needed to be reimaged becuase they were sending spam to 72.2.16.136. turns out it was just a software package (stupidly) sending error reports home. (I left out a bunch of detail that makes it seem easier than it was)

Good thing they are replacing me. I bet they have A+

tech_support_cheat_sheet.png

Being good at your job is not about knowing all the answers. It's about knowing where to go for the answers you don't know.

Yep. I throw impossible-for-an-outsider-to-answer questions, see how they jump. The guys that ask about in-house documentation, logging, or if there is a searchable problem database usually have promise. The ones that immediately say "escalate if I dont know" as step 1 of troubleshooting or who start blathering are trouble.

A+ is a joke, it holds really no value in my interviews, although it doens't hurt a candidates either, at least not for me. Those that say it is good for DoD contract - not really. If you're going on a DoD contract look at Security+ instead. The problem with A+ is it only meets lower level positions (DoD IAT Lvl 1), many companies require Sec+ so they don't have to figure out if you're in a Lvl 1 or Lvl 2 posistion, so it covers their ass regardless. If you want entry level either do Sec+ or get an MCTS in Windows Client.

Yep. I throw impossible-for-an-outsider-to-answer questions, see how they jump. The guys that ask about in-house documentation, logging, or if there is a searchable problem database usually have promise. The ones that immediately say "escalate if I dont know" as step 1 of troubleshooting or who start blathering are trouble.

escalate? WTF is that? :lol:. I guess I have been the wear-all-the-hats guy for too long.

escalate? WTF is that? :lol:. I guess I have been the wear-all-the-hats guy for too long.

We get a lot of help desk and desktop support guys applying; the pool of people that actually know what we do is really shallow here, so we just train up contractors. We dont have escalation like that.

Code:
      TEXTFILE = "D:\IBM\UV\accounts\insappdev\textdata\"
      SUCCESS = ''
      OPENPATH TEXTFILE TO ITEXT ELSE
         SUCCESS = STATUS()
         SUCCESS = SUCCESS:" Path ":TEXTFILE:" Not Found"
         CRT SUCCESS
         STOP
      END
      OPEN 'TBLPAYER' TO PAYER ELSE
         SUCCESS = STATUS()
         SUCCESS = SUCCESS:" Unable to open TBLPAYER"
         RETURN
      END
      OPEN 'TBLCLAIMUSERS' TO USERS ELSE
         SUCCESS = STATUS()
         SUCCESS = SUCCESS:"Failed to Open Table TBLCLAIMUSERS"
         RETURN
     END 
      GOSUB CREATE.PROVIDER.TABLES
      RETURN
*----
CREATE.PROVIDER.TABLES:
*----
      FOR II = 1 TO NLINES
         FDATA = TEXTDATA<II>
         CONVERT "|" TO @VM IN FDATA
         CONVERT "~" TO "," IN FDATA
         GOSUB PARSE.DATA
         GOSUB LOAD.INITIAL
*---- WRITE PROVIDER
         IF TRIM(ID) = '' THEN
            NULL
         END ELSE
            WRITE FREC ON PAYER, ID ELSE
               SUCCESS = STATUS()
               CRT SUCCESS:" Failed to Write TBLPAYER"
               STOP
            END
         END
      NEXT II
      RETURN

:rofl: @ GOSUB

A+ is worthless pretty much like everyone else here has said. I learned that right out of HS.

Supplement with Net+ or Security+, either of which are far, far more valuable.

speaking of security+ all the hacking recently has driven thins like the CISSP and CCSP up into goldmine territory.

of the two IMO the CCSP has more oomph CISSP seems more upper management centric with the CCSP being more practical application. i only got through about half the CISSP book though maybe it got better towards then end. reminds me i need to finish the new version of the book when i'm not busy.

Back