A Star Wars Story: Solo

how hard is it to make movies that fans want, and not to use a franchise to push a retarded sjw agenda?

the average movie price ticket in los angeles is $15 and $21+ for premium formats

yeah on opening weekend in la. same here. but tickets here were $11 in 1990, not $4. this is why we source our data from averages, not anecdotes. i linked boxofficemojo, i ain't making this shit up. you can't just ignore second run theaters, matinees, and lower income regions

is it not? that's gotta be at least 50% of the shortfall, plus another 50% from no one wants a han solo movie or more prequels

I doubt the quality of the movie even enters into it, unless it had been spectacularly terrible or great

I would certainly say that the film's production issues are certainly a large factor. It's never a good sign when you fire directors and reshoot most of the film in a rushed production schedule. I would also put some of it on the SJW bullshit they keep ramming into Star Wars with the delicacy of a jackhammer.

I think largely though, it's due to The Last Jedi being fucking god awful and that it was less than 6 months ago, and the studio response to the backlash as being unwarranted. People had time to forget the prequels, but I know I'm not in a rush to go spend $15 on another Last Jedi.

I would certainly say that the film's production issues are certainly a large factor. It's never a good sign when you fire directors and reshoot most of the film in a rushed production schedule. I would also put some of it on the SJW bullshit they keep ramming into Star Wars with the delicacy of a jackhammer.

I think largely though, it's due to The Last Jedi being fucking god awful and that it was less than 6 months ago, and the studio response to the backlash as being unwarranted. People had time to forget the prequels, but I know I'm not in a rush to go spend $15 on another Last Jedi.

i think you have a bad read on things and should try talking to some people in real life off the internet

i mean maybe it's completely idiosyncratic but every single person i've talked to is either excited or blames star fatigue

"they changed directors" is something that only like 5% of the potential audience knows, let alone would care about. an even smaller fraction for anything involving the word "sjw"

Are you suggesting that only 5% of the Star Wars audience are internet savvy enough to know the problems with production?

I would agree that most moms taking their 8 year olds won't have heard or cared, but acting like a large chunk of Star Wars fan base aren't men in their 30s and 40s who follow this shit is asinine.

agree with bowl about ppl not caring about director swaps or whatever narrative ppl would like to see in it

i think ppl a) dont care about a solo movie and b) are getting sick of the mediocre movies recently

re: movie ticket prices - they've been pretty variable for the last 50+ years

you can paint whatever picture you want to if you narrow this graph down to smaller portions rather than looking at the long term

HmKNmhX.png

what i personally find more concerning, is that movie companies have increased the prices so much to the theaters that theaters no longer make any money off the movie itself

the only thing they make money on is concessions like popcorn, those prices have gone absolutely nuts

and the 15 minutes of ads they have to show before the movie now to make any money from people who dont buy popcorn/soda

agree with bowl about ppl not caring about director swaps or whatever narrative ppl would like to see in it

i think ppl a) dont care about a solo movie and b) are getting sick of the mediocre movies recently

I don't disagree. I'm not sure how much interest kids have in Solo, particularly if they never really paid much attention to the original trilogy. They might have only seen him in The Force Awakens before this, so why would they be interested in him over Rey, Finn, or Poe?

Your second point is really where I think the divide is though. When I hear Star Wars fatigue, I can only say it's really bad Star Wars fatigue. Marvel has put out 19 films, and they still do just fine at the box office. Some have underperformed compared to the others, but they still do exceptionally well overall. If Marvel, however, were to put out a few films that were, say, contentious if not outright bad, then you would see a likely drop off as well in subsequent films. Rogue One was just ok, and the Last Jedi was pretty awful. For the next film to do well, it has to be a film that people are interested in, and be a well made film.

It doesn't help Disney that all of their one-off films are about original trilogy characters either. The younger kids won't be as interested other than "Star Wars" and the older fans of the originals are unhappy with the story choices being made. It's a lose-lose.

tbch most of the bad marvel movies were more entertaining than most of the new star wars stuff, so yeah

but personally, i think its more about adults wanting (and perceiving) different things in movies now than when they were children

when we were kids we didn't nitpick and cry about all the details that weren't perfect, we liked pew pew pew space lasers and space wizards, and made up explanations for the plot holes instead of being salty about them

and it's also a bit of current kids not understanding the appeal of something that was popular 40+ years ago

but i doubt a lot of star wars fanboys would agree with me on those 2 points

so i have to fall back on fatigue and lack of interest in the dude who isn't a space wizard

They've only made... 4 movies...

How do you exhaust the franchise in only 4 movies?

Look at the Marvel Universe... they are on... what? 12 movies and counting now?, the last and most recent ones being very well received. Knocking it out of the park still.

I went to see it last night... it released on Friday? The theater I was in wasn't exactly packed.

marvel movies arent a single universe despite some small overlaps. theres ironman, wolverine, hulk, etc etc. xmen and avengers kinda mash some shit together ofc.

plus the expectation on marvel quality is much lower than SW.. until recently i guess

I don't disagree. I'm not sure how much interest kids have in Solo, particularly if they never really paid much attention to the original trilogy. They might have only seen him in The Force Awakens before this, so why would they be interested in him over Rey, Finn, or Poe?

Your second point is really where I think the divide is though. When I hear Star Wars fatigue, I can only say it's really bad Star Wars fatigue. Marvel has put out 19 films, and they still do just fine at the box office. Some have underperformed compared to the others, but they still do exceptionally well overall. If Marvel, however, were to put out a few films that were, say, contentious if not outright bad, then you would see a likely drop off as well in subsequent films. Rogue One was just ok, and the Last Jedi was pretty awful. For the next film to do well, it has to be a film that people are interested in, and be a well made film.

It doesn't help Disney that all of their one-off films are about original trilogy characters either. The younger kids won't be as interested other than "Star Wars" and the older fans of the originals are unhappy with the story choices being made. It's a lose-lose.

marvel has different characters in each movie, and their model has ALWAYS been multi-year releases. people see star wars as an event. there were six in the first 40 years of the franchise. so the fact that they keep drilling down into minutiae with prequels amplifies the feeling that these are trivial movies, not REAL star wars. it is a shockingly dumb strategy and i am surprised they have been this careless about it, but maybe the merch factor is rendering it all moot. regardless, solo will probably be a wake-up call. i think people probably underestimate how much confidence disney was relying on marvel comics to provide. without an established road map for star wars, they are being insanely conservative.

also you are very removed from reality on the fraction of star wars goers that are internet nerds. 5% may be a low-ball but higher than 15% would be absolutely shocking. these movies make billions of dollars. that requires a whole lot of soccer moms and foreigners and adults who saw star wars once growing up and have nostalgia. which, for the record, is mostly the kind of person that today identifies as a "star wars nerd"

edit: and tlj's reputation is not notably worse than the average marvel movie, and you are kidding yourself if you think public perception matched the vitriol here (although it also fell short of the rottentomatoes circlejerk). it's in the revenge of the sith and rogue one 7/10 pretty good but with some problems bucket

Last edited:
https://www.quantcast.com/blog/the-fans-behind-the-force/

Cliffs: A typical Star Wars fan is likely male, aged 18-44, watches science, history and horror TV shows and works in IT or legal.

Sure Star Wars has broad appeal, but it's not the single mom who takes the kids to the film once that makes them huge hits. It's comic and nerd culture dudes in their 30s who see the Thursday midnight shows, buys a ton of merchandise, has a blog for their favorite character, etc. If they never made another Star Wars movie, you're not going to have disappointed parents clamoring for new releases from Disney.

And saying TLJ's reputation is not notably worse than the average marvel movie is ignorant. The lowest rated Marvel film is The Dark World, and it's 20% higher than TLJ's audience rating. Of course an internet forum filled with mostly white males in their 30s are going to hate on it more than the general public will, but you're kidding yourself if you don't think that a decrease in sales likely correlates to the largest film-going demographic not showing up to watch the film.

https://www.quantcast.com/blog/the-fans-behind-the-force/

Cliffs: A typical Star Wars fan is likely male, aged 18-44, watches science, history and horror TV shows and works in IT or legal.

Sure Star Wars has broad appeal, but it's not the single mom who takes the kids to the film once that makes them huge hits. It's comic and nerd culture dudes in their 30s who see the Thursday midnight shows, buys a ton of merchandise, has a blog for their favorite character, etc. If they never made another Star Wars movie, you're not going to have disappointed parents clamoring for new releases from Disney.

And saying TLJ's reputation is not notably worse than the average marvel movie is ignorant. The lowest rated Marvel film is The Dark World, and it's 20% higher than TLJ's audience rating. Of course an internet forum filled with mostly white males in their 30s are going to hate on it more than the general public will, but you're kidding yourself if you don't think that a decrease in sales likely correlates to the largest film-going demographic not showing up to watch the film.

uhhh your quote is an arbitrarily selected control group. you carefully left out the "we took as a baseline..." that illustrates that description is purely an assumption

I'll assume you're joking bringing rt audience scores into the mix

If you have a better metric than RT for comparing audience reaction by all means share it. If you want to go by Box Office alone, TLJ saw a 30% decline from TFA. What is your belief that caused said decline if it was a well received film?

marvel is chucking out 3 hits a year, using the term 'fatigue' is just wrong.

i think it's explained two ways: people didn't want a solo movie and are skeptical, and the people pissed at tlj sent a very ear fuck you to kennedy. same way fans sent a fuck you to Warner over justice league.

Last edited:
If you have a better metric than RT for comparing audience reaction by all means share it. If you want to go by Box Office alone, TLJ saw a 30% decline from TFA. What is your belief that caused said decline if it was a well received film?
rt also doesn't count any rating less than one star in the tabulation so, tlj would have been much lower

This right here is what makes zero fucking sense for Disney. Why didn't they just 'go full Marvel' with the new Trilogy and make all these spinoff movies based on their new characters like Po, Rey, Fin etc. This is supposed to be the new roster of SW characters; why are they putting out movies of backstories for the old/dead cast in the new trilogy?

sequel effect

the problem using rt scores is that they aren't demographically independent, they select heavily for ragenerds. moreover, they're majorly susceptible to goodhart's law.

box office numbers/dropoff are all you need. I'm also not claiming star fatigue is a 100% explanation. I'm saying there's no simple narrative and anyone telling you otherwise is naive or trying to sell you something. people spend money on things they think they want, they don't make accurate predictions of what that will be. occams razor. to go back to your first box office heart attack, fembusters bombed not because sjw warriors, it bombed because no one wanted a ghostbusters remake.

anyway, the tlj box office drop is sequel effect. you can shake it with long-term reboots or crypto-sequeling a la marvel; otherwise, with a few rare exceptions, sequels always make less money.

I feel like they could have made this exact movie, without han,lando, and chewie, and it would have been awesome. i'm not sure people really care about hans back story. maybe "solo" wasn't the best title either.

anyway, i still think its the best looking star wars movie to date

sequel effect

the problem using rt scores is that they aren't demographically independent, they select heavily for ragenerds. moreover, they're majorly susceptible to goodhart's law.

box office numbers/dropoff are all you need. I'm also not claiming star fatigue is a 100% explanation. I'm saying there's no simple narrative and anyone telling you otherwise is naive or trying to sell you something. people spend money on things they think they want, they don't make accurate predictions of what that will be. occams razor. to go back to your first box office heart attack, fembusters bombed not because sjw warriors, it bombed because no one wanted a ghostbusters remake.

anyway, the tlj box office drop is sequel effect. you can shake it with long-term reboots or crypto-sequeling a la marvel; otherwise, with a few rare exceptions, sequels always make less money.

I've never claimed it was simple. I said Solo had development issues, and it's coming off the heels of a poorly received TLJ (which would at least include some degree of sequel fatigue). You're arguing with me over this claim for some reason, without any basis for it other than some people you talk to still want to see it. Do you have any fact based reasoning or something you can point to that supports your opinion that TLJ was well received, that somehow justifies the staggering box office drop off?

Yes, as a general rule sequels make less money, but it's not guaranteed and it's certainly not rare (depending on your definition of rare of course) for first sequels to do better than the original. Typically it's genre dependent, and they usually fall into two categories: major franchises, or unexpected hits. But regardless of this, Star Wars is not your standard Movie +1 sequel format that typically results in huge drop offs.

Back