SS:2845 ATR has been uploaded

IVIaedhros

Veteran X
It's 2 am and we're all dead tired so I'm keeping this short and sweet.

Just finished making the installer, I'm starting the upload it to FF now. The file size is 622mb. This will take some time on my DSL connection. Pray I do not have any service interruptions tonight.

If I had to guess, provided there are no issues, you'll probably see the thing go up on FF mid day (EST).

Some things to be aware of

There are some key things that we did not get finished in time, most notably lock on and weapon convergance for the hercs. Expect to see a patch in a couple of weeks that will address this issue and some others. I strongly recommend that anyone that volunteered for the burning tree wait until after the patch to do any burning and distributing.

Balancing is rudimentary at best and all done on paper. Aside from not having enough time we could never get enough people together in a server at one time for long periods in order to do proper balancing, so we'll be watching the servers to see what we need to do in that area.

I don't think I have to tell you the thing is buggy as hell. Well, maybe I do. It's buggy as hell.

I have a trade show I am stuck at for most of the day tomorrow but the testers and rest of our dev staff will be around to answer questions and provide advice.

There's probably some more I should say but I'm having issues staying awake so I'm off to bed. Look for a more coherent replacement post from me tomorrow and some other additional info and stuff.

Official Thread

Look for the ATR to be up for public download @ FileFront within a few hours. Also be sure to keep an eye on the 2845 forums in case there are any mirrors that may go up.

I look forward to finally playing with you guys. I've been a tester for over a month and while the ATR is nothing more than a bug ridden proof that they're actually working (with little correlation to final gameplay;)), it is a bunch of fun and you can see the potential it has. Also be on the look out for a patch within a couple of weeks to fix some of the more glaring play issues like Herc weapon's accuracy.

Last edited:
Well below is a copy and paste from Garage Games in regards to the Torque Engine.....read note below

System Requirements

Windows 98/SE/ME/2000/XP
Pentium III 500, 128 MB RAM
OpenGL or DirectX Compatible 3D Graphics Accelerator, DirectX compatible Soundcard
Supported Compilers: Microsoft VC++ 6.0 and above. Free compilers work, but are unsupported by GG. Dev-C++ does not work. Microsoft Visual C++ is the recommended compiler.
Torque Build Environment (TBE): Is a free Alpha stage IDE based on MinGW, GCC, and Eclipse.

Thread going on system requirements. http://www.starsiege2845.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14444

It is only ATR but I think it's worth a DL and test drive. Don't whine about crashes if you do.

Well, i tried playing, seems buggy as fuck. The sounds are completely the same as T2, pretty funny. I could barely do anything due to the lag or buggy server or whatever. Game almost feels useless without jetpacks, I dont know how much i would want to play it. Feels like T2+UT2004 with vechles & no jetpacks

I agree on the T2ish feel. There are 'jetpacks' but not as Tribes folks know them. They are more like a booster pack. It is only ATR. Bugs and crashes are to be expected.

Wow it's good that you can come to that conclusion and judgement of an ATR after only a few hours of playing a ALPHA TECH RELEASE. GJ. I tried playing, crash about every 5 minutes, I'll see what I can do with my settings later and look forward to playing this.

Well, i tried playing, seems buggy as fuck. The sounds are completely the same as T2, pretty funny. I could barely do anything due to the lag or buggy server or whatever. Game almost feels useless without jetpacks, I dont know how much i would want to play it. Feels like T2+UT2004 with vechles & no jetpacks

If you look carefully at the ATR, you will see a lot that will make you think of Tribes. For one, vehicular combat is much more Tribish in this IE very little resource management and no customizing. Art and sound assets were also used heavily. Base design also draws from Tribes because this is the first time that they've ever tried making maps for a combined arms game, thus they've basically taken what they know about Tribes maps and StarSiege maps and smashed them together. Remember that the engine itself is Tribes 2's engines, albeit upgraded through patches.

It's been said a million times before, but keep in mind that this is little more than proof that this project is not vaporware and a reward for people who have been sitting on their hands for several years as they waited for the blasted thing to release. After the patch(s) are issued and works begins with the TSE in earnest, look for details to be released that actually reflect what the final game will be like. I can guarantee it won't be anything like what your playing now.

If you look carefully at the ATR, you will see a lot that will make you think of Tribes. For one, vehicular combat is much more Tribish in this IE very little resource management and no customizing. Art and sound assets were also used heavily. Base design also draws from Tribes because this is the first time that they've ever tried making maps for a combined arms game, thus they've basically taken what they know about Tribes maps and StarSiege maps and smashed them together. Remember that the engine itself is Tribes 2's engines, albeit upgraded through patches.

It's been said a million times before, but keep in mind that this is little more than proof that this project is not vaporware and a reward for people who have been sitting on their hands for several years as they waited for the blasted thing to release. After the patch(s) are issued and works begins with the TSE in earnest, look for details to be released that actually reflect what the final game will be like. I can guarantee it won't be anything like what your playing now.
Quoted for truth.

It's been said a million times before, but keep in mind that this is little more than proof that this project is not vaporware and a reward for people who have been sitting on their hands for several years as they waited for the blasted thing to release.
It's just a shame no one will really listen to nor understand that simple fact.

You will get your Tribes fans damning the game for not being "Tribes" and your Starsiege fans damning the game for being too "Tribes", and neither side will listen to reason. It's a lose-lose situation.

I, for one, actually like the game for what it is. The basics are there for a great game in the making.

i could run it for a good 15 minutes before it UE'd on me, got it to run an entire map and a half once...all in all, its pretty fun, not polished or really "playable" in any way shape or form...but still an interesting peak at what to look forward to. cant wait for the full TSE version.

Just an FYI to everyone that we'll be patching the ATR to resolve some crash issues, improve HERC aiming, and address some other problems as they arise. Patch #1 (primarily to address crashing) should be out in a matter of days.

Mod it to have skiing and jetpacks!:sunny:

I took a look at their jet script, hated it, rewrote and now I got a sorta Jump Jets in place. Better then nothing but not nearly cool as Tribes jetpacking.

Skiing would be next to impossible to fake via scripting me thinks. Dunno I might have a go at it.

Back