being fired vs putting in two weeks

All my years in HR and not 1 company gave me any more info than dates worked and salary.

Hires from shop help to executive and the higher up the chain you went the less info you got

While your shitty reputation might be protected "by law", I can guarantee you that no hiring manager in the corporate world worth a damn will hire people that they cannot get back channel feedback on. The worst thing you can do for yourself is burn your bridges on the way out of a company.

I'm a manager of a software security team, so I tend to come across allot of entitled snowflake hackers that have never held a real job and are used to companies throwing money at them to come work for them.

Some of them are immature, unprofessional, untrustworthy, or generally emotionally unstable. Trust me when I say that your reputation will follow you around, we know who is a management nightmare and keep them on a mental blacklist. Its not hard to find someone you know who worked with a candidate with tools like LinkedIn.

Also, its pretty uncommon in the corporate world to be "fired without notice", unless you are sexually harassing people or stealing from the company.

The danger of litigation from an employee, especially one in a protected class, is very real, even if you don't cite their class as reason for termination. Like said before, its auto-lose for the company.

Employees are almost always put on performance improvement programs prior to termination, not to actually improve performance in most cases, but to protect the company and document the continue failures. That process usually takes months, so to say companies fire without notice is usually not true.

Hiring unprofessional assholes who do stupid shit to spite their bosses on the way out is literally the last thing anyone wants to do.

The problem is establishing truth in whatever back channel you attempt to use.

If the employee is from a competitor it gets even more difficult. (I have sent and received problem employees so sometimes you win, sometimes you lose)

I have scored info before but the time invested is not usually worth what you get.

In the end what I relied on the most was the fact that people have no fucking idea and if you let them talk long enough, they will usually tell you what you already suspect.

I am speaking from a manual labor background... Drivers, locomotive operators, heavy equipment.. supply chain companies.. that sort of thing. I have no idea how to hire a program writer but for executives if that person doesn't have a solid reputation and their own documentation of history, accomplishments and referrals.. (a solid starting point) you pass instantly anyway.

It get trickier as you move down the ladder so by the time it comes to a salesperson/warm body.. you don't even bother trying to get info. You go with your gut instincts

Last edited:
HR calls the other company to ask. Different states have different rules. Some can only confirm employment and salary. The range goes all the way to giving a full eval and why they left. Some companies wont do it because of litigation though. Dont get fired, and definitely dont lie.

I've worked as a manager for years and had many ppl call for references. I've never given out anything more than dates and position held. I think I am allowed to say why/how they left but I'm not certain so I never say anything.

All my years in HR and not 1 company gave me any more info than dates worked and salary.

Regarding this and folks discussing -- If a company or HR dept provides information to a future potential employer that prevents a former employee from being hired, the former employee can sue (and win against) the former employer.

Example: Dude gets fired from his old job for being lazy, incompetent, insulting to management, and stealing cash out of the drawer. New company considering hiring him contacts old employer, who inform them in the most gentle terms that they fired him for a couple theft issues and a few minor problems with fitting in. New company doesn't hire the guy. Guy can sue and easily win for old company.

Essentially, if an employer falsely states that you were fired or cites an incorrect reason for termination that is damaging to your reputation, then you could sue for defamation.

The burden of proof would fall on the plaintiff to prove that the information shared by the past employer was false and damaging, to win the case. In cases like this, it's not that hard to find *something* false the past employer said, and the "damage" is the lack of getting the new job, wages, benefits, health insurance, etc etc. Most HR dept's just state date ranges and salary because it's provable and defensible in a lawsuit.

Regardless, it's always better if you're going to quit to leave gracefully. In a sales position, most times your sales results and your in person interview is 99% (or 100%) of the consideration process.

Always do the right thing.. don't burn a bridge just because it is there..

However the repercussions of burning said bridge are, generally speaking, nil

I've worked as a manager for years and had many ppl call for references. I've never given out anything more than dates and position held. I think I am allowed to say why/how they left but I'm not certain so I never say anything.

Same but its my company's policy to not say anything due to potential litigation. The law allows it though.

To update this;

I have no doubts im going to get fired. Ill find another job im not worried. Not going to burn a bridge. Had a team meeting on friday (the first in over a year) and it became a venting shitfest and I doubt any of them will be there long also. I think I have enough money and not dip into savings to last me until 2020 so Ill find something. Getting fired and collecting unemployment is pussymode

I would hope you have already been looking this entire time? If so you obviously do not have an offer yet so be careful on that thought. If not just waste time looking for another place.

You know you pay into unemployment every paycheck right?

Also a lot of misinformation about what previous employers can say and how at will employment works in here.

While your shitty reputation might be protected "by law", I can guarantee you that no hiring manager in the corporate world worth a damn will hire people that they cannot get back channel feedback on. The worst thing you can do for yourself is burn your bridges on the way out of a company.

I'm a manager of a software security team, so I tend to come across allot of entitled snowflake hackers that have never held a real job and are used to companies throwing money at them to come work for them.

Some of them are immature, unprofessional, untrustworthy, or generally emotionally unstable. Trust me when I say that your reputation will follow you around, we know who is a management nightmare and keep them on a mental blacklist. Its not hard to find someone you know who worked with a candidate with tools like LinkedIn.

Also, its pretty uncommon in the corporate world to be "fired without notice", unless you are sexually harassing people or stealing from the company.

The danger of litigation from an employee, especially one in a protected class, is very real, even if you don't cite their class as reason for termination. Like said before, its auto-lose for the company.

Employees are almost always put on performance improvement programs prior to termination, not to actually improve performance in most cases, but to protect the company and document the continue failures. That process usually takes months, so to say companies fire without notice is usually not true.

Hiring unprofessional assholes who do stupid shit to spite their bosses on the way out is literally the last thing anyone wants to do.

ROFL.. Dude we hire soo many fucking tards with bullshit creds that are never ever checked other than a phone call to someone says yes that person was here..

If you work for a large company is not even unheard of to have employees 2 steps under a manager who HR hasnt ever had to deal with that just walked.. That guy isnt going to have a problem getting a job. You gotta be pretty baller to even be remembered at larger companies. My old Vice President who streamlined this fucking failure of a project 2 years ago left. No one even fucking remembers him and he was making like 300k/yr. 1 HR recalls him being a pain in the ass and no one outside my division remembers him at all.

Maybe for your little industry or something this is not the case but i have done some major shit at ATT when walking out the door and no one will fucking ever know about it when i apply at any company. The only reason anyone up top even knows who i am is because im the sole dev of a program that brings in 10 mil+ a year. If not for that i wouldnt even be noticed outside of 50 direct coworkers.

I work at a office with fewer than 10 people. We hired this useless tard that didn’t do anything for a whole year and then quit.

He had the gall to go on Glassdoor and write a shitty review. Unfortunately he lives at the same apartments as the office director and had been a golfing buddy with him.

I think the only way your reputation would matter is if you’re in a new position and still working closely in contact with your former co workers. If it’s an all new setting and all new people besides the first day questions of what you did before, your old job won’t be brought up much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ROFL.. Dude we hire soo many fucking tards with bullshit creds that are never ever checked other than a phone call to someone says yes that person was here..

If you work for a large company is not even unheard of to have employees 2 steps under a manager who HR hasnt ever had to deal with that just walked.. That guy isnt going to have a problem getting a job. You gotta be pretty baller to even be remembered at larger companies. My old Vice President who streamlined this fucking failure of a project 2 years ago left. No one even fucking remembers him and he was making like 300k/yr. 1 HR recalls him being a pain in the ass and no one outside my division remembers him at all.

Maybe for your little industry or something this is not the case but i have done some major shit at ATT when walking out the door and no one will fucking ever know about it when i apply at any company. The only reason anyone up top even knows who i am is because im the sole dev of a program that brings in 10 mil+ a year. If not for that i wouldnt even be noticed outside of 50 direct coworkers.

Maybe its an industry thing. It probably depends allot on who is doing the hiring. I refuse to manage anyone I haven't hired myself, and done my own investigative work on. That includes actually calling and talking to references, insisting the candidates provide references of their most recent direct managers, as well as following up with back channel off the record feedback from others they've worked around.

You're never going to really know a candidate until you work with them for a while, and even then, they hide shit that may catch up with them one day, but there are allot of things you can do to paint a clearer picture than the one they want you to see.

I'm also talking about fairly senior, well compensated, white collar jobs. Dealing with entry level is a different risk calculation.

For reference, the industries I've worked in where this has held true have been software development, information security, national security, and consulting.

Back