Cataclysm: 10/25 mans will share same lockout and loot

his reason for not playing the expansion has nothing to do with your reason

just sayin, seems a bit out of context
Heh, I know people who feel the same way about it as Pessi though. I have kids that are getting older, once their extracurricular activities eat into raid/relaxation time I'm done. I'd say that I should quit to spend more time with my family, but I already spend almost all evening with them every day and play after they go to bed (other than ~45mins to do dailies).

The more I think about 1 raid lockout the more I like it. There's still potential for it to be a complete failure, but I'd rather raid 3 days on 3 different toons than raid 4-6 days on one while trying to squeeze in alt raids on whatever off night(s) I might have. I'm over the "go for US top 50" mentality, it's just not worth it anymore. We were top 50-100 all through TBC and up to the release of ToC. The one player in our guild who still had the drive to compete for server/us/world firsts joined vodka on his alt to do just that.

I don't feel stressed about the game at all, I don't feel like I'm letting people down if I want to take a night (or week, in the case of 10mans) off, and I enjoy the time I spend ingame now moreso than I ever have though I do miss plenty of the people who have quit the game. Part of this is because Loto transferred and is in all of my raids now and he's fun to raid with, but mostly because everyone I play with shares the same feelings towards raiding.

To me this makes sense. This also addresses Blizzard's huge mistake in having loot ilevel tiers get out of control on WOTLK which i think they realize was a big problem.

In BC, top end Kara items were ilevel 125. Top End Sunwell were 164 and a lot of people didn't see all of those before the xpac was over. They saw the 154 shit, etc.. Thats a3 0ish ilevel diff. Compare to WOTLK which starts at 200 and as of just now is at 277. That is a gigantic gap and an escalating gear scale they couldn't keep up with. Lots of things just didn't scale well with the crazy gear they were pumping out and layering 10 and 25 by 13 ilevels as were evident by patching classes and etc.. to fix the nonsense.

Tell me if my logic is flawed here, but I think you have to look at it as a ratio:

Kara loot = 115
KJ loot = 164
115/164 = ~.70

vs.

Naxx 10 loot = 200
LK 25 heroic loot = 284
200/284 = ~.70

In WotLK, gear improved at the exact same rate as it did in BC.

Tell me if my logic is flawed here, but I think you have to look at it as a ratio:

Kara loot = 115
KJ loot = 164
115/164 = ~.70

vs.

Naxx 10 loot = 200
LK 25 heroic loot = 284
200/284 = ~.70

Exponential growth like that is bad. It should be approximately the same amount of growth every expansion. Blizzard has said multiple times that they had way more tiers of items than they meant to due to introducing hard mode loot.

Kara loot = 115
KJ loot = 164
115/164 = ~.70

vs.

Naxx 10 loot = 200
LK 25 heroic loot = 284
200/284 = ~.70

yea that's flawed logic. the only thing that should matter is the difference between starting and stopping point, not the value of the start or stop point.

like FM said by introducing both hard modes and tiered raids(25 vs 10) they forced themselves into a scenario where they had to keep escalating loot which led to a number of problems not just the ridiculously stupid gap from fresh 80 to even casual raider.

Like smaq said earlier these changes are fitting my lifestyle as i get older and have less and less time from when kids goto sleep and when i goto sleep. When i had no kids or 1 very little one i could raid for hours in MC and BWL to get server firsts, but that's just not in the cards anymore.

I don't even want to raid in any type of serious fashion in Cat.. Playing multiple characters who all have good, but not the best, loot and pvping is much more fun for me at this stage then taking 5 months to grind full t2 on my priest way back when. I'm more than satisfied with all the changes they are making.

I think this change is pretty rad, not just because 10 man is more fun but because I find sustenance from the tears of nerds who are now crying that other nerds can get the same sword of awesomeness that they can.

10's and 25's will be easy and pugable (they already are). Heroic versions will be where all the hardcore people flock. I'm betting some encounters will be harder in 10 man than they are in 25 man (see Sarth 3d as an example of possibility).

Back