:scared: Just saw the scariest bug ever

So I was looking out at the lake, when I see something huge land on my deck. The thing had huge hairy legs like a spider, but also had wings!

Forget that, a flying spider! If one of those things flys at me, I will piss my pants. I tried to get a picture, but through the glass doors would have been no good, and it flew away when I opened the door.

I'm wondering what it is that I just saw.

My only two theories:

1. Huge spider was being eaten by a dragon fly (wings were dragon fly long, but appeared tucked on its back, which I've never seen a dragon fly do).

2. There is a huge spider around here that can fly. :scared:

What was it that I saw?

Doesn't hold a candle to Fire Bug, who contrary to his name is immune to fire.

brushed it off with my hand then got up and tried to find it to see what it was, was a black blur as I saw it, didn't find the 'lil guy tho

dragonflies do eat large spiders occasionally.
Was it one of these perhaps?:
Edit: they are water bugs, they fly, the eat fish and frogs, and they bite humans.

waterbug3.jpg

a24a+8inA.D._cool_6un_o64beaA_weir17_a421_waterbug_020090717112448649.jpg

giantwaterbug.jpg

giant_water_bug.jpg

Palmetto_Bug.JPG

Last edited:
which state? can you describe the basic body shape (eg wasp-like)? coloring?

NC - It looked like a mini tarantula with long wings tucked on its back.

brushed it off with my hand then got up and tried to find it to see what it was, was a black blur as I saw it, didn't find the 'lil guy tho

That makes it much worse.

Just now I went to accept a package from USPS, and a spider was hiding on the door. It swung out at me using its spidey-web action, but then coiled back to the door.

A buddy and I ran across one of these once

468px-Jerusalemcricket.jpg

Trapped it in a box and took it to an entomologist at the Natural Science and History Museum. He glanced at it and said it was a Potato Bug (aka: Jerusalem Cricket).

We were fucking certain it was a creature from Mars.

I have photoshopped together this picture, which looks nothing like what I saw . . .

inbLa.jpg

The legs looked similar to this actually, like very similar, but I would say upon further thought that the wings were grass-hopper like, as those have wings on their back. But its stance and legs were spider-like.

Last edited:
Back