NDA lifted for WotLK

Looks like it adds a slight benefit to bringing a fire and a frost mage to a raid, since one can stack winter's chill/whatever, and the other can put up fire vulnerability.

Either way, I think i'd try out arcane, some nice additions, plus it's been a while.

What? Frostfire from my understanding, just hits, calculates which would do more damage (the frost aspect of the bolt or the fire aspect of the bolt) then applies that damage. I doubt very much that it will gain both the +fire damage and +frost crit bonuses. More than likely it would benefit from one or the other.

I actually looked at it, and you're right frostfire seems to get both benefits.

So a frost mage tossing frostfire with a fire and frost mage in the raid would get some serious benefit it seems. That would be crazy, just one with imp scorch, and another with the WC debuff and the guy with the most spelldamage just frostfire all the way.

Eh, they kind of nerfed the shit out of Demonic Sacrifice, so those pew pew shadowbolt locks probably have their days numbered.

plus mages are getting NEW ICONS

that's sure to enhance their DPS

What I am wondering about is if the frostfire bolt gets all the benefits of fire and frost talents, I tossed together a fire/frost build, just to see what could be done.

WorldofWarcraft.com -> Info -> Classes -> Mage -> Talent Calculator

With that build does that mean the frostfire bolt gets Ignite, gets crit bonus from playing with fire (3%), Critical mass (6%), Pyromaniac (2%) Winters Chill (2%) and damage bonuses from improved scorch (15%), Playing with fire (3%), firepower (10%), Molten Fury (20% bonus when target is below 20% health), Icy shards (100% bonus to frost crits), Piercing Ice (6%), and reduced threat from Frost Channeling (10% less threat).

If all that applies a frost/fire hybrid build would be a viable level 80 option, it all depends on the final coefficients for spells if tossing just fireballs, frost bolts or arcane missiles do more damage then a frostfire bolt spec.

Last edited:
I was messing around with arcane barrage last night, while it's not a terrible spell it seems to have a horrible coefficient and a weird cool down. I have around 1500 spell damage and it was critting for 2800 or so, plus being on a 3 second cooldown makes me wonder what kinda rotation it could be worked into.

Back