ET - Quake Wars Mod: Tribal Wars

It's really nothing like LT. It's hard to even compare the physics. I mean, they are similar to Tribes, but the terrain, and the bounce, and the netcode, etc. falls short.

In other words, longer than you'd like to admit.

But sure, a full T1 remake is just around the corner, right?

Wait, is it going to be a T1 or T2 remake?

It took around three years to get what we have, and I don't know how we got as far as we did. Without arcanox it would not have released.

In other words, longer than you'd like to admit.

But sure, a full T1 remake is just around the corner, right?

Wait, is it going to be a T1 or T2 remake?

A full remake is a bit too ambitious of a goal right now. The reason why it took as long as it did is because I was the workhorse for the project, but I have no qualms with that. If I had more help and a couple people who were passionate about the project, things may have turned out differently. This project wasn't done to achieve great success, and revive Tribes. Some people may give you that impression, but it's simply something I produced because I wanted to.

People don't really develop games to win big, or earn some sort of glory and standing among others. I just do it because it's something that I enjoy doing, and the process of creating is ultimately more rewarding than what you end up with. There was no money put into the project, not a lot of help, but it came together simply because a couple people were willing to make it happen.

It's really nothing like LT. It's hard to even compare the physics. I mean, they are similar to Tribes, but the terrain, and the bounce, and the netcode, etc. falls short.

You may try turning off Bob & Roll in the settings. Game Options: Disable Bob & Roll under Misc. This locks the camera to the upright view and removes any shake... it visually removes some bounciness from the game, although the physics are all the same.

We actually developed a new type of projectile which would solve some of the netcode problems. Having a better ping and properly configured server can help a lot, but the new projectile class we developed would solve many of the current issues and make them much more efficient. There's an overview doc about this on the website: http://twars.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/Projectile-Code-Rewrite.pdf

Only issue is that we didn't have enough time to correct some of the sync errors with the client. From a technical standpoint it works, in the sense that it's tracked by the server. There are some issues with the client projectiles not syncing to what's occurring in the server. Would probably require a bit of work to get them functional, but it again comes down to a matter of time, and having someone with the proper technical knowledge to do it. If anyone wants to take a look at it, the source for the mod will be posted in a little while.

all the negativity is classic TW, thankfully the vocal minority...there are actually people playing and enjoying the game unknown to the tribal whiners on this site

this mod is awesome fun and has a few bugs that are being addressed....thats plenty for me

anyone got any video yet of this game on youtube?

A bunch of videos here: Videos & Audio - Tribal Wars Mod for Enemy Territory: Quake Wars - Mod DB

Just an update on the v1.1 patch though. We've been playing around with some netcode settings and there are probably going to be some configuration changes which should allow the mod to feel a little bit smoother.

The fellow who also make the ETQW Tweaker utility plans on making a TWARS specific utility that will let you guys change many of the settings and generate an autoexec for the mod. If you also have the chance, the TAW|Art of Warfare server and TROC|Magical Mystery Server are both US servers and they have decent pings. The mod runs much better on both of those.

Back